Have you had a valve stem failure?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geezer

Parsimonious Curmudgeon
Reaction score
There have been a few posts where people mentions valve stem failure on the FJR. I'd like to know how many peopel have experienced this and what kind of stem it was that failed.

I would say that your valve stem failed if it cracked, split, or came loose from the wheel. A loose or bad core would not qualify as a stem failure for this poll.

Last edited by a moderator:
The valve stems that I sell are used by many including a couple of AMA superbike/supersport teams and have not suffered a high speed failure that I have ever heard of. The design of the stem is important. A "bent pipe" type of stem would be subject to high speed failure due to centrifugal force. Mine are machine from on piece of stock.

Angled valve stems at Bike Effects

I know at Bonneville they require valve caps that are oring sealed to prevent air loss at speed.

I have heard of 90 degree valve extensions failing at speed

I've heard of this happening too. It was in reference to 90 degree caps you screw on to your valve stem to make them stick out the side. Too much uneven weight and it rips the rubber on the valve stem. Never seen it happen, only heard of it.

I saw a non-forum FJR that the rear OEM stem split at the 06' 1088.I had a spare 90* stem I lent him. Here is me helping him in the hotel parking lot.

1088155.jpg

1088154.jpg

Nice use of the side stand bead breaker all our FJRs come equipped with, albeit a kool-aide drinker's in this case. Also good that the final drive didn't leak on the tire being de-beaded, ;)

Always good to see you down on your knees for a fellow FJR rider in distress,. But next time think about breaking out those knee pads. Us gray haired guys need all the help we can muster... :lol:

The valve stems that I sell are used by many including a couple of AMA superbike/supersport teams and have not suffered a high speed failure that I have ever heard of.
Gotta agree with Jeff, his stems are a nice bit of work! They have been working very well on my '07 right up into "go directly to jail" speeds B)

I've heard of this happening too. It was in reference to 90 degree caps you screw on to your valve stem to make them stick out the side. Too much uneven weight and it rips the rubber on the valve stem. Never seen it happen, only heard of it.
I think the problem is more from checking and filling the tires rather than the slight flexing from centrifugal force.

Having a 90° valve stem would mean that you couldn't press too hard without supporting it from the other side or you could weaken it.

It is the rubber valce stem whether 90 degrees or the straight ones that fail. They elongate at high speeds.

Bike Effects 90 degree stems are machined and designed for the higher speeds. Have never seen one of his stems elongate and fail!!!!!!!!!!!! :fans: :drinks:

I had a problem with a 90 degree valve stem but it was an installation error. Caused a slow leak. Fixed it and haven't had a problem since.

It is the rubber valce stem whether 90 degrees or the straight ones that fail. They elongate at high speeds.
Bike Effects 90 degree stems are machined and designed for the higher speeds. Have never seen one of his stems elongate and fail!!!!!!!!!!!! :fans: :drinks:
If what you meant to say was they deform then I agree. But from a pure physics standpoint I fail to see how a valve stem mounted on the inner surface of the rim would elongate at high rotation speeds. If anything it would compress and deform. Clearly the valve core would have the possibility of being depressed under it's own weight due to the high centrifugal force of ultra fast rotation (like during speed records on the salt flats, etc.), but then I'd think that having the 90 degree stem orient the core at a right angle to the force would eliminate that possibility.

I would imagine that any 90 degree stem that is rubber and is merely press fit mounted to the rim would be a problem during use (filling / checking). The stem to rim seal might be suspect during high rpm use as the centrifugal weight of the entire stem would want to push out on the heavy side. The mechanically fastened ones from Bike Effects would seem like a safe bet in all regards. I'll probably put some on my next order, whenever that is...

The valve stems that I sell are used by many including a couple of AMA superbike/supersport teams and have not suffered a high speed failure that I have ever heard of. The design of the stem is important. A "bent pipe" type of stem would be subject to high speed failure due to centrifugal force. Mine are machine from on piece of stock.
Angled valve stems at Bike Effects
Yep... I have these and they've seen triple digits with nary a problem. :good:

Who? Where? When? What brand/type? Installation issues?
not yamaha, but wings came with rubber 90's and a clip to keep them from straightening out at higher speeds. lose the clip, lose air pressure. i'd consdier that a failure.

The reason I started this poll was this thread.

I am thinking that maybe I'll replace the rubber Yamaha valve stems with some all metal ones. I'm not really into the 90 degree stems, but I've seen plenty of straight metal ones on other bikes.

I had a valve stem failure. Had one of those stupid skull caps on my bike that was given to me by a friend when bike was originally purchased. (not yet a seasoned FJR'er).

Left stranded about 50 miles from home. The skull cap got shitcanned.

I now run 90 degree valve stems that Bikeffects sells.

Edited to add: Greg, I know of the post that you are referencing. Nobody is sure the cause of Wayne & Annette's accident. The cause being a split valve stem allowing a rapid release of air in his front tire is speculation. I suppose that once Wayne is able to examine the bike, we'll know more about the front tire.