Headlight failure

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wingjon

Reaction score
Took an approximately 40 mile ride in heavy rain yesterday and had no low beam headlights when I got home. High beams work fine and fuse is good. It seems a little strange that both low beams would fail at the same time although the bike is an '06 with 85,000 miles and they have never been changed.

Before I replace the bulbs, is there anything else that could possibly cause this?

Thanks for your input!

It seems a little strange that both low beams would fail at the same time
Not really. It's been shared time and time again that halogen bulbs often fail within a curiously short time of each other. Check the filaments and report back. You should be able to see them without evening taking the bulbs out through the nose!
wink.png

Last edited by a moderator:
At 85,000 replace them anyway. It is time and eleminates one variable at a better time to do it rather on the road.

85K....I'm jealous. I'm on my 5th set at 52K and I absolutely hate trying to change them. Glad it was a simple fix.

85K....I'm jealous. I'm on my 5th set at 52K and I absolutely hate trying to change them. Glad it was a simple fix.
I assume that you are using some of the "Premium" high output bulbs? I had my first lamp failure at ~60,000 miles and replaced both although only one failed. Using cheap generic brand H4's, I average 30-40K out of a set since then.

I know it;'s too late, but someone may stumble across this thread in the future when they diligently search on the subject. The answer to the question in the OP:

It seems a little strange that both low beams would fail at the same time although the bike is an '06 with 85,000 miles and they have never been changed.
Before I replace the bulbs, is there anything else that could possibly cause this?
Yes. Headlight relay #2 (high/low), which is the one that switches the power from headlight relay # 1 (on/off) to the high beam or low beam filament could develop a faulty contact on the low beam side only.

However, a relay going bad is a relatively rare occurrence compared to having both headlight filaments burning out at the same time, which is fairly common.

I had a BMW E38 (740 il) that blew both low beams simultaneously (H-7 single filament). No electrical issues found, just replaced the bulbs and went years with no issues. Stuff happens I guess. Never had it happen on the FJR but I replace the 100%+ bulbs @ around 400 hours as a maintenance item.