Heat Issues

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

durangoraider

Reaction score
Hi,

I am new to the FJR community. Summer riding is hot and there is no way around that. However the FJR gets very hot. The bike is beautiful and has a sweet engine with great power delivery but the engine heat is very high it seems.

Are there any solutions to this, I have an 08 model and am wondering if I adjusted the side fairings out a bit if this would help or direct more heat on my legs.

Riding gear?

Speeds?

The FJR is a big bike with a large motor. It is not well suited for slow city riding and will punish riders that do not wear proper riding gear. This means armored riding pants, not jeans, shorts, etc.

On very hot days, make sure you have a full tank, then leave town and ride.

Hi,
I am new to the FJR community. Summer riding is hot and there is no way around that. However the FJR gets very hot. The bike is beautiful and has a sweet engine with great power delivery but the engine heat is very high it seems.

Are there any solutions to this, I have an 08 model and am wondering if I adjusted the side fairings out a bit if this would help or direct more heat on my legs.
You are mistaken.....Gen IIs NEVER get hot. I've been told so numerous times. There are hundreds of posts on the forum affirming their icy-coolness. And their minty-fresh smell. :rofl:

Hi,

You are mistaken.....Gen IIs NEVER get hot. I've been told so numerous times. There are hundreds of posts on the forum affirming their icy-coolness. And their minty-fresh smell. :rofl:
https://www.vagisil.com/ RadioHowie is correct, durangoraider! GEN II's are just like Vagisil, you really can't tell them apart!!! And that extra heat will keep that pesky yeast infection from reoccurring!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know what you are comparing the Gen II with but my experience is that this has as good heat management as any large engine sport-tourer out there.

Compared to my old '06 ST1300 there is no comparison. That bike was not fun after 90F especially at highway speeds and was very uncomfortable around 100F and just wore you out. And I'm one who that the Gen I FJR wasn't that hot. The ST1300 was something special in this particular area.

The other thing about this forum is that the guys on here are so darned knowledgable. If you read this forum enough the electrical gremlin stories on the Gen II would scare you off. I did the Brodie relay replacement and the "spyders" were all perfect. I'm not saying there are not problems with either the Gen I or II issues but potentially some of the issues are really emphasized out of context.

So you see some of the Gen I guys making fun of the Gen II's. Both are darned good bikes period. And yes the '03 is the fastest, but my '07 will go way to fast if I want it.

Sorry for the ramble. Just get on the darned thing and ride.

Hi,

Cadman turned me on to these Hand Wings and they work great! Puts a lot of air into the cockpit.

I use a short shield ( -3" ) which helps a lot when moving, and keep the revs down in town , the motor has plenty of power to short shift . By staying under 4K the motor doesn't generate as much heat. As soon as you are free from traffic .. go like hell

Hi,

https://www.vagisil.com/ RadioHowie is correct, durangoraider! GEN II's are just like Vagisil, you really can't tell them apart!!! And that extra heat will keep that pesky yeast infection from reoccurring!!!

Yeah, but will they boil off me 'roids?

:jester:

Hi,

Dear Little Barry, It will help, but for lasting relief Dr. Stanley recommends sharpening the blades on your Anus Shaver!

PS: Did OM send you the "Little Barry" joke?

Hi,

Dear Little Barry, It will help, but for lasting relief Dr. Stanley recommends sharpening the blades on your Anus Shaver!

PS: Did OM send you the "Little Barry" joke?
No he didn't :cray: an' I'm feeling neglected..

:clapping: Welcome to the forum. :clapping:

Please understand the good-natured banter that occurs between members here.

Riding gear?
Speeds?

The FJR is a big bike with a large motor. It is not well suited for slow city riding and will punish riders that do not wear proper riding gear. This means armored riding pants, not jeans, shorts, etc.

On very hot days, make sure you have a full tank, then leave town and ride.
Just to get back on topic for the new guy.......

Eric has posted the best answer. A good pair of riding "over pants" will alleviate most of the radiated heat you feel.

I ride in the Sacramento Valley in CA where the Summer temps are always 90+ with frequent periods of 100+ for days. My solution has been riding pants and boots.....and hydration.

As others have mentioned, all of the current large-bore Sport Touring bikes emit copious amounts of engine heat, especially felt at low speeds.

Good luck on finding your solution.

You'll find a wealth of information on this (and most) issue by google searching the forum in his manner:

"heat site:fjrforum.com"

You can keep busy reading for days on this topic and learn quite a lot.

The black and blue bikes soak up more of the sun than the silver bikes. This is especially true when the sun is more directly overhead.

Cadman turned me on to these Hand Wings and they work great! Puts a lot of air into the cockpit.

I'd like to know more about those Hand Wings. I can't tell from the picture (don't you love pictures on websites that say "click image for larger picture," but when you click the image you get the SAME SIZE STUPID IMAGE on an otherwise-empty screen?)

OK, where was I? O yeh, so if you have these wings, would there be any interference from other things mounted in this area, such as Vista Cruise, V-Strom handguards (in cold weather), other little controls mounted in the area, radar detectors, GPS, etc., etc., etc.? Assuming they can be used to bring in cool air or divert it away when it's cold, right? Thanks.

I'd like to know more about those Hand Wings. I can't tell from the picture (don't you love pictures on websites that say "click image for larger picture," but when you click the image you get the SAME SIZE STUPID IMAGE on an otherwise-empty screen?)

OK, where was I? O yeh, so if you have these wings, would there be any interference from other things mounted in this area, such as Vista Cruise, V-Strom handguards (in cold weather), other little controls mounted in the area, radar detectors, GPS, etc., etc., etc.? Assuming they can be used to bring in cool air or divert it away when it's cold, right? Thanks.
SacramentoMike,

The hand wings do no interfere with anything you mentioned.

here are a few pics:

close-up closed

DSCF0098.jpg

front view open

DSCF0090.jpg

left side open

DSCF0095.jpg

cadman

Hi,

Thicker pants, Durango. On my '06, while wearing jeans, I feel a bit of heat on my shins just above my work boots. Nothing uncomfortable. Just noticeable. If I'm wearing my regular overpants or my Carharts double-layer dungarees, I feel almost no heat.

Compared to my old V-twin Vulcan, the FJR is an icebox.

I have a set of handwings mounted on the bottom side of Garauld's brackets w/ Hella FF-50's on top. I think they keep the tank a bit cooler but I've never been convinced they do anything for the heat felt on the lower left shin...YMMV.

Did you search on Cromeit Heat Fix?

I have a set of handwings mounted on the bottom side of Garauld's brackets w/ Hella FF-50's on top. I think they keep the tank a bit cooler but I've never been convinced they do anything for the heat felt on the lower left shin...YMMV.
Did you search on Cromeit Heat Fix?
The Baker Air Wings were not available when I had my '03 fast, but hot FJR. I fixed most of the heat issues, except for heat buildup in the cockpit area, which had stagnant (hot) air. If those wings (I have 3 different wings on my GL1800 and they make a big difference in both hot and cold weather) were available, I would have purchased them. There's no way the hand wings could effect the lower heat, but I'm pretty sure thay would bring some air into the cockpit.

I didn't bother with the Cromeit fix. Here is what I did:

1. Empty and remove the fuel tank and install proper heat shield. I used 1/4" foil backed sticky on one side duct insulation. Purchased at Lowes. More exotic automotive firewall insulation can be had. Reason I removed the tank was so I could turn it upside down and cover the whole bottom of the tank with one piece. Cured the boiling fuel syndrome and made the tank a lot cooler.

2. I used 2 1/4" square foam strips (for window a/c's, available at Lowes), comes in a roll, stuffed in between the rear of the fairing and the frame, all along the space between frame and fairing. I also put in front between lower frame and engine - not to worry, it doesn't melt.

3. The black inner fairing liner I removed along the lowers and maybe under the headlights - whatever is the black plastic liner and 'Swiss cheesed' it with a drill, putting as many holes as I reasonably could, allowing more air to flow from the front and out the fairing gills.

These changes did make a big difference, but there is still the hot frame to contend with. Just keep the legs away from the frame and all will be well. No blue jeans - proper riding gear is part of the equation.

Maybe some or all of these can be done on the Gen II.