Heated grips or heated Gloves

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
heated grips UNDER grip puppies takes a little longer to heat up, but then you're golden.

I'm a heated grips guy, they work fine for me. Always have a pair of non-heated winter gloves in the trunk.

Both, but not generally at the same time.

Heated grips are handy to have on those chilly mornings where you know it's going to warm up by noon time. As others have said, they are always there, you can't forget them, etc.

But, when it gets really cold and you'll be riding for good while, there is absolutely no substitute for heated gloves. Those who are reluctant or say they are just fine with heated grips have probably never tried using heated gloves. No cold thumbs. No worry about holding the clutch and/or brake. You don't even need to keep your hands on the bars or behind your Vstrom hand-guards all the time. Just no worries about lost manual dexterity in the cold ever.

As for the inconvenience of being wired to the bike, you are going to want to be wired for your heated jacket liner anyway, so why not just plug in a pair of gloves too? And if you haven't tried riding with a heated jacket liner in the deep cold, well you are in for a complete cold weather riding revelation.

Heated grips, VStrom guards, and Warm n' Safe glove liners. The combo makes a cold ride easy. The glove liners are thin and fit into just about any glove and plug in to my Warm n' Safe jacket liner. I use the dual wireless controller, so the glove liners and jacket can be controlled separately...works perfectly. The glove liners take up almost no space in the tank bag.

Heated grips are handy to have on those chilly mornings where you know it's going to warm up by noon time. As others have said, they are always there, you can't forget them, etc.

But, when it gets really cold and you'll be riding for good while, there is absolutely no substitute for heated gloves. Those who are reluctant or say they are just fine with heated grips have probably never tried using heated gloves. No cold thumbs. No worry about holding the clutch and/or brake. You don't even need to keep your hands on the bars or behind your Vstrom hand-guards all the time. Just no worries about lost manual dexterity in the cold ever.

As for the inconvenience of being wired to the bike, you are going to want to be wired for your heated jacket liner anyway, so why not just plug in a pair of gloves too? And if you haven't tried riding with a heated jacket liner in the deep cold, well you are in for a complete cold weather riding revelation.
Well Fred for you there may be "no substitute for heated gloves". But I likey mine better but that is "IMHO", did forget what opinions are compared to?
no.gif

Warm n safe products work very very good. I use the heated gloves and liner with wireless remote and use it on 2 bikes all winter long. A wonderful thing for traveling.

https://www.warmnsafe.com/

IIRC there is a discount when mentioning this forum.

Exactly. Heated grips are more convenient, but when it gets really cold they simply aren't adequate. They fine for a mountain pass maybe, where you know it'll be cold for a short time. But if I know it's going to be in the 30s or less for the duration, the heated liner and gloves come out. My Gerbings are a little dated, but they still work great.

Do Warmnsafe, Gerbings, and FirstGear all use the same co-ax/concentric connectors for their heated items such that they are interchangeable between brands?

First Gear is Warm'nSafe. And yes, Gerbings present coax connectors are compatible with those. I think they may have used SAE connectors in the distant past.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just my two cents... when it's really cold, I've found that I prefer heated gloves. I've had Gerbings for a couple years [T5s and now 12V EX], and they are fantastic, IMHO. I've ridden down to 0° and had no problems keeping my hands warm.

Just ordered a dual zone Heat Troller and heated glove liners. Do you guys connect your heat controllers directly to the battery or does a Gen II (08) have some decent central power block to go to? I already have a battery maintainer connected directly to the battery posts and don't want anything more on there. Thanks and I soooo look forward to getting warmer hands. Been riding in 29 degree weather in the morning and warming up to low 40s by afternoon.

Just ordered a dual zone Heat Troller and heated glove liners. Do you guys connect your heat controllers directly to the battery or does a Gen II (08) have some decent central power block to go to? I already have a battery maintainer connected directly to the battery posts and don't want anything more on there. Thanks and I soooo look forward to getting warmer hands. Been riding in 29 degree weather in the morning and warming up to low 40s by afternoon.
Maybe you could plug the heat troller into the battery tender pigtail.

I ran a fused pair of heavy gauge wires from the battery to a terminal strip box (called it the Frugal Yankee PDB) I located under the seat. Then connected the pigtail wires for the heated gear (his and hers) to the terminal strip so I could just pull those pigtails out from under the seat when needed (and tuck them away when not).

So, in essence, our heated gear is (indirectly) connected to the battery. It means that you have to be conscious not to sit there with your wires connected and the engine not running or you'll run down the battery. But the simplicity of no added relays etc to fail is nice.

You could run your gear off the battery tender pigtail if you can find some way to route the cables conveniently.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've sold and use Heat Demon on all my bikes. They look like a factory install with the switch set up. I've been in 28 degree weather in the UP and I was very comfortable. Eared right through my grips and gloves. Sorry I didn't read all the replies but I wouldn't be without headed grips in the Midwest where I live.