Heated seat

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TILAM

Reaction score
I know that Corbin offers a heated seat option but has anyone tried making their own?

I figure I could diesect an old electric vest or maybe one of those cheap sit on car ones and retrofit it to my redundant stock seat. Fall and spring rides are short enough that the stock seat discomfort shouldn't be an issue.

I don't remember seeing anything on the forum about this topic.

could also search a junk yard for a caddie or lincoln etc. Steal the element from a car seat. Not sure what the current draw would be, but better than ruining a perfectly good vest.

Now I'm interested! :)

The more I think about it the vest option probably wouldn't be the best. The vests (at least the ones I have owned) work best in close proximity to the skin. Probably not enough heat to get through the seat fabric, my Aerostich suit then a pair of jeans and underwear. The car seat option is more likely the better choice. The auto parts store ones plug in the lighter of your car so the draw shouldn't be too much. I guess I need to dust off my creative skills.

Don't use a vest... they have wires, but on the other hand, you could make a grid of wires..... NO, look around for a heater pad for a snowmobile and it will be a thin layer you can install under your seat cover. I know people that have done it and it works well.

What about a couple heating pads with a DC converter. They're about $10 in any drug store and they get extremely not. And they're the right shape.

I've thought about using the cheap grip warmers (about $20) laid flat. Not sure how they would hold up to the bending of sitting on them. The ones I put under my grips get toasty warm.

I use this environmentally friendly alternative to keep my seat warm..............

banner-safe-can-beans.jpg

I've had my stock seat on my '05 heated since new.

Nick and Catfish from Farklemasters hooked me up. They were working w/ a prototype heating pad from a manufacturer.

Nick installed the pad in the seat for me (about 6"x9") and I wired it all up w/ a panel mounted heatroller. I don't think the deal w/ supplier ever worked out though. I can call them if you want and see if they ever got something to replace it with. The element gets super hot. I never have to turn it up more than half way. I only use it to warm the seat up or dry off condensation before I ride off. After a few minutes , I shut it off and let the engine heat do the rest. I never checked to see what the draw is but I can notice if I am running it along w/ my grips and liner the dash gets dim at idle. So it would be safe to say that running all three would put a strain on the charging system.

Would I bother w/a heated seat agian? I don't think so. Nice to have, but I don't use it enough to warrant the cost. I have my other bikes wired w/grips and heatrollers for the liner. Those I wouldn't do without no matter what. I was 17 deg. this morning. :dribble:

Tim

I know that Corbin offers a heated seat option but has anyone tried making their own? I figure I could diesect an old electric vest or maybe one of those cheap sit on car ones and retrofit it to my redundant stock seat. Fall and spring rides are short enough that the stock seat discomfort shouldn't be an issue.

I don't remember seeing anything on the forum about this topic.
Rostra the cruise people make aftermarket kits for heated seats , don't know to much about them but saw them on the Rostra web sit, I was thinking too! but right now I 'am working on a couple other farkels. Also my non heated corbin has a spot in the fiberglass base pan for a switch.

I bought a Heated Seat Kit and installed it in my aftermarket gel seat pad. I ended up incorporating the switch, control board and fuse into a small enclosure that eventually terminates with a powerlet plug. The power cord can be completely unplugged from the pad during the summer months to reduce the bulk.

Why did I make it portable? I did it for a couple of reasons. One, I already had the seat pad so another $70 gave me the heated function. And two, I can throw it on any of my bikes with an accessory socket.

I will be posting some details on it shortly when I get some pictures.

Get the Bun Warmer from Aerostich.

I installed one on my 08 factory seat a month after I bought it and LOVE it.

Here are some crappy cell phone pictures of it. You can see the switch and you can just barely make out the outline of the heater.

ec21c745.jpg

f4fc4fca.jpg

6851f71a.jpg