Heated vests

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRIDER56

Reaction score
Thanks Ig for pointing me to the Bin-o-facts for info on available watts to power vests or jackets. I actually did read ALL of the information "as promised" but given my advanced age do not retain everything I read. I am suitably admonished!

Actually available watts was only part of my question-would really appreciate input from members on heated vests or jackets they would recommend given that I now know that I have at least 100 watts I can dedicate to that purpose.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you meant Gen 1 ? I have no problems and run HIDs + W-N-S (with Datel voltmeter).
Actually I intended the "not" to refer to the Gen 2....it's not watt challenged.

I could have been more clear, and probably have an English teacher rolling over in a grave or having indigestion at a nursing home about now. ;)

..and I do have a Gen 1 and run Warm n Safe. However, I've freed up some wattage by converting to HID lights...and carefully monitor things with a Datel.

I ran most of the winters for a couple of years on a Gen 1 with a Gerbing jacket and gloves with no problem. The Gerbing jacket at 77 watts can your body about 2/3 more heat than a typical vest. If you're popping the cash for heat, get the jacket, as it does make a huge difference, then put gloves or glove liners on your Santa list.

I have a Gerbing and love it. I recomend a full jacket rather then a vest. Cold arms suck (they are in the elements more so then the body) and buying something twice sucks even more.

Greg

+1 on the Gerbing heated jacket. It is nice enough looking to wear as an outer jacket when not riding and can suffice without the heated elements turned on if you need protection from the elements, especially your arms.

I have a Gerbing and love it. I recomend a full jacket rather then a vest. Cold arms suck (they are in the elements more so then the body) and buying something twice sucks even more.
Greg

I'm very happy with my FirstGear liner and gloves. They are made by WarmNSafe and sold under the FirstGear brand. There are slight differences in the two products.

My best recommendation is don't buy anything until you have felt all the candidates in person.

I have a Widder vest and a Synergy liner. Tried on WarmNsafe and Gerbing. Definitely happy with the Synergy liner, sleeves are a good thing.

GF uses the vest and loves it. We call it her electric boyfriend.

Greg

I swear by my Gerbing jacket liner. Be sure to get the newer style with coaxial connectors. They are much easier to use than the SAE trailer connectors.

If you tell the folks at Gerbing at the point of your order, they can set up the jacket wiring to control your GLOVES separately with the twin electronic controller. This controller "pulses" current to both the jacket and gloves and presents a lighter overall load to your charging system. You will be able to regulate the jacket heat and glove heat independently. A retrofit is about $15.

Failing to give the folks at Gerbing instructions, the secondary jacket connector supplies heat to electricly heated pants or socks. The choice is yours.

Enjoy!

I have a Gerbing. The only complaint i have with it is that sometime I have to ear a compression article of clothing over the jacket, to keep the Gerbing close to my body. Otherwise, it is snug on my arms, but loose on my torso. I believe Warm and Safe addresses this with stretch panels in their jacket. When the time comes that I have to replace my Gerbing, I am going to look closely at the Warm and Safe strictly for that reason.

I like my Widder Vest, it kept me plenty warm on my 37 degree , 150 mile commute yesterday :)

I had a BMW/Eclipse vest in the 80's, it lasted forever.....and I sold it in excellent shape when I replaced it with an Aerostich Kanetsu vest.

They didn't make the Kanetsu full sleeved liner then, and for Colorado winters I wanted warmth wherever I could get it....so I went Gerbing.

The Gerbing has been flawless for over 4 yrs. I also very much liked the windblock/fleece Kanetsu, and if I needed to replace the Gerbing, I would likely go with the Kanetsu full liner. The Gerbing rocks though - wearing like iron.

I've thought about the Tourmaster vest for riding my plated XR600R in cold weather at altitude. It has a BD 250w stator, and can handle a vest easily. It's a reasonably priced vest.

I've run a vest from Aerostitch for years, including several years in cold, wet England. It works great, I have a thermostat control for it that I mount on the side of my tank bag. Durable, never had a problem