Hello Everyone!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wol9ver6ine

Reaction score
Hey everyone, new to the FJR thing. Dating myself, but been wanting one since 2003, loved the looks and performance. My buddy had an FJ1200, that was my first introduction to the model. For whatever reason I passed on it in 2010 and bought the K1300GT mostly for the options but I sold it recently so I want to try the FJR this go around. So, question is, buy a used 2020 FJR1300ES ( 12k on odo ) with the transmission recall done for 6K less with a couple accessories added with no warranty or buy a leftover 2023 with warranty?
Thoughts?

Thoughts?
take the savings, put it into the gas tank and ride 45,726 Km.
That must be 2 years' worth of riding, and at that economy, you're practically making money while in the saddle.
You might have to retire from work.

Welcome from the West Coast.
Post pics when you pick up your new-to-you bike. 🏍️

Last edited:
Hey everyone, new to the FJR thing. Dating myself, but been wanting one since 2003, loved the looks and performance. My buddy had an FJ1200, that was my first introduction to the model. For whatever reason I passed on it in 2010 and bought the K1300GT mostly for the options but I sold it recently so I want to try the FJR this go around. So, question is, buy a used 2020 FJR1300ES ( 12k on odo ) with the transmission recall done for 6K less with a couple accessories added with no warranty or buy a leftover 2023 with warranty?
Thoughts?
What accessories? Overall, the FJR is a remarkably reliable platform. The 12,000 km on the clock isn't any concern, but I would prefer to have a warranty "Just in case s**t happened" and would probably prefer to have the 2nd gear stuff done in the factory unless I KNEW that the mechanic/shop was excellent.
$6,000 difference is nothing to sneeze at and I know I would have some difficulty with the decision (unless the "extras" were significant).
Good luck! Note: 450,000 km on two Gen II FJRs ('07 and '11) and I have never had a serious issue and nothing in the first couple of years of either bike that would have fallen under warranty. Also, nothing ever that needed the services of a dealer. YMMV
Edit: Bought both fairly lightly used but well beyond manufacturer's warranty. Wasn't an issue for me. If you're really concerned, you could look into aftermarket warranties but they tend to be very expensive for questionable coverage.

Welcome from New Brunswick (Fredericton). What part of Newfoundland are you from? I get there every couple of years - one of my favorite motorcycle destinations. I expect to be back this year (late July-early August), but on a BMW F700GS instead of the FJR for this trip.

Last edited:
What accessories? Overall, the FJR is a remarkably reliable platform. The 12,000 km on the clock isn't any concern, but I would prefer to have a warranty "Just in case s**t happened" and would probably prefer to have the 2nd gear stuff done in the factory unless I KNEW that the mechanic/shop was excellent.
$6,000 difference is nothing to sneeze at and I know I would have some difficulty with the decision (unless the "extras" were significant).
Good luck! Note: 450,000 km on two Gen II FJRs ('07 and '11) and I have never had a serious issue and nothing in the first couple of years of either bike that would have fallen under warranty. Also, nothing ever that needed the services of a dealer. YMMV
Edit: Bought both fairly lightly used but well beyond manufacturer's warranty. Wasn't an issue for me. If you're really concerned, you could look into aftermarket warranties but they tend to be very expensive for questionable coverage.

Welcome from New Brunswick (Fredericton). What part of Newfoundland are you from? I get there every couple of years - one of my favorite motorcycle destinations. I expect to be back this year (late July-early August), but on a BMW F700GS instead of the FJR for this trip.
Hey Ross, The accessories are windscreen, crash protection, aftermarket top case and possibly a tank bag.
I'm from central NL, hope you have fun coming over again this year. Probably see you on the road somewhere. I have a T7 as well so I too do a bit of offroading. Had a F800GS, R1200GSA, XR650R and KLR650 over the years so no stranger to the offroad scene.

Welcome from metro Seattle! Which FJR? Money no object and for piece of mind, buy the new '23. If you do want to save some $$$, I'd thoroughly inspect the '20 and pending no issues found, ride the wheels off it. With 12K kms, mileage is nothing.

Either FJR will likely serve you well.

Good luck!

~G

The accessories are nice but won't likely be a major factor. Really can't go wrong with either although there is something about being the original owner of any vehicle. That said, I have never owned a new motorcycle and I think maybe only three new cars in my lifetime. As Archer said, $6,000 buys a lot of gas (or an aftermarket seat, auxiliary lights, GPS and some riding gear...)

I retired a few years ago and am fairly new to riding dirt. Hope to do a little in Newfoundland this year - more decent gravel than challenging off-road stuff. I did the TLH last year (all paved but a few hundred km on QC389 and some side trips in Labrador).

I'll be watching for a blue late-model FJR along the way.