Hello there!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wongalex

Reaction score
I've had my 2009 FJR for nearly 4 years now after trading in my Honda Deauville. I like it so much it should be my forever bike, but I lost it in a corner a month ago and now rebuilding it back to health. The main damage is a twisted cowling stay snapped off the head stalk. This has now been repaired and replaced. Now come the tedious process of putting everything back on, repairing the plastic as I go along which is so demoralising! I'm looking in here for morale and some tech know how. Working in zero temperature outside isn't the best morale boost after all...sob!20231202_085253.jpg

Welcome! Where in the UK?

Hard to work on stuff when temperatures are close to the freezing mark. Not to mention having adhesives, fillers and paint cure properly.
Were mirror stays replaced or bent back into place? Sometimes a Gen II mirror stay will bend whereas a Gen III+ will shatter.
Are the forks OK? Is the left one just dirty or leaking? Given the condition of the right hand frame slider and mirror, it looks like you took a hard hit on that side. Did you avoid serious injury?

Hard to give much in the way of advice on this sort of repair but let us know if you run into problems or have questions.
Have you seen this?
https://www.fjrforum.com/threads/gen-ii-plastic-and-cowling-removal.116788/(You are probably way beyond anything here but it might help.)

Welcome! Where in the UK?

Hard to work on stuff when temperatures are close to the freezing mark. Not to mention having adhesives, fillers and paint cure properly.
Were mirror stays replaced or bent back into place? Sometimes a Gen II mirror stay will bend whereas a Gen III+ will shatter.
Are the forks OK? Is the left one just dirty or leaking? Given the condition of the right hand frame slider and mirror, it looks like you took a hard hit on that side. Did you avoid serious injury?

Hard to give much in the way of advice on this sort of repair but let us know if you run into problems or have questions.
Have you seen this?
https://www.fjrforum.com/threads/gen-ii-plastic-and-cowling-removal.116788/(You are probably way beyond anything here but it might help.)
Thanks for your interest Ross. I'm in Lancashire, northwest England. Fortunately I came off only with light scratches. The glueing was done by a mate and it's well set. I've bought a new stay for an arm and a leg, it's a gen 2 but I was told that aluminium does bend well, I can't even find a good place to put it on a vice to attempt straightening it. I can post my work in progress here as I go. Here's where I'm at now. The last one is only for a laugh, I hardly knows what I'm talking about 🤣. I'll sort about the fork and the exhaust later.
Alex
20231025_103159.jpg20231106_144556.jpg20231202_132046.jpg20231124_113038.jpg

Wongalex, Welcome and sorry for the lost bits. Been there, done that but decided to buy another bike to keep me riding. Yea, that front stay is a pricey piece but trying to straighten it would be a waste of time IMO. Good luck with the rebuild and should you need some bits n bobs I might be able to help.