Helmet Comm issues

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cav47

Adventure Seeker
Reaction score
2 years ago, I bought a Bilt bluetooth helmet because my buddy had one and we were heading West to the Black Hills. I went with the budget fix.. It has been good, but not great. My biggest complaints are ambient noise levels, but that is solved with ear plugs. The problem exists in that the plugs block most of the sound. Now, the left speaker has gone out intermittently.again. This is the 2nd such helmet from Cycle Gear that has done this. Same problem, same speaker, same model, same fix.........they will give me a new one. It has good features, but there is Design problem(s)

The last time I took it over to the Indy store, they said you can't listen to it with the volume turned all the way up or it can blow the speakers........but to hear it well enough, I have to have it turned up all the way. Design problem(s) for sure.

So I can take it back and they will give me a new one.........but that problem is not going to be solved when the speaker blows again. Do I know that is gonna happen for sure......"no" but it is likely.

The other issue is that the Bilt will not connect to other systems like Sena. Most of you have Sena and really like it, so having a compatible one would be a nice feature instead of the silly hand signals that really do not help that much.

I want music, directions, intercom capability occasionally, and phone rarely. The Bilt helmet does this well, the speakers are just crap with ear plugs in.

A really good helmet and Sena 20 is gonna set me back 750 bucks. That is a lot of coin for my habits.

I do not really have a point and know this, that's why I put it here. Now what????

Rule of Thumb

ya get what you pay for. My Shoei RF11 and Sena 10C works great in my opinion. If I had it to do over I would do it again. I have the 10C on one shoei and Sena 20 on an HJC

you could pick up older Sena SMH10 or something along that line to save some coin. but the later models have the latest tech. You have to decide if it is something you use all the time and the comm, music, phone ect is what you enjoy then go for gusto

Last edited by a moderator:
See if they'll let you exchange it for a standard helmet and a Sena. With CG, as long as I've had the receipt, I've never had a problem completing a return any way I want. Hell, they'll even refund your money and you can go somewhere else .

I understand that the Sena is an excellent choice but I have no experience with it. You mentioned a $750 buy in and money is obviously a factor. Have you looked at the Cardo ScalaRider?

Pop and I have been using the Cardo ScalaRider G4 teamset for several years now. It has been through some torrential downpours (several times), it has been on the helmets during drops, (of the helmet and the bike), and it has performed very well. We have been using them for so long that on almost every ride one of us will wonder when the stupid things will finally fail. No, they are not "perfect" but they have done well for the money spent and I would definitely buy another set if these failed. Of course, I would move up to whatever is the current top of their line to take advantage of any improvements in their technology.

Someone - I think it was KJ - posted a thread on here sometime back about grafting in a set of speaker drivers from a set of Koss Porta Pro headphones. I did so on my scala G4 setup and was surprised at the increase I got in both volume and sound quality. IIRC, a 25 watt soldering iron was all I needed. Might be a viable option if you want to stick with what you have and not have to worry about speaker failure.

Lone,

I am gonna look into that for this spring for sure!!

Thank u.

Kevin, is this true?? Radio Shack to the rescue maybe!!

You might be able to buy sena speakers and connect those. They are sold separately as I understand it. Or if you like the helmet, why not just install a sena into it and throw out the bilt electronics?

The Sena speakers come attached to a base. They could be cut and soldered into place instead of the Bilt speakers. IF you don't rig them yourself and go the Sena route, when you buy it, ask if an ear bud base is included. Some of the new models have them molded in. The SMH10 has a separate base that has to be bought, but it is totally worth the extra few dollars. Ear buds are the bomb!

AJ, tell me more about the ear bud base please. So what you are saying is that Sena has ear buds that could be retrofitted into my electronics?? More info please. I will start searching Senas website too.

I actually do like the helmet, very good fit for my noggin, the interior sunshade, easily changeable visors, ease of use with the buttons, airflow and overall look. Mostly subjective aspects. Then again, I have never owned a top shelf helmet. I imagine they are the Gen 4s compared to my Gen 1.

If fixing the speakers could be fixed cheaply, that would be awesome to start with. If I start messing with the helmet, Cycle Gear is not taking it back on Warranty though if I can't fix it well.

No Cav...I do not know of any Sena products that can be retrofitted to your current set up. I was echoing Zapp and Lonerider that IF you found a Sena base with speakers, you could cut those off the Sena and replace your current blown speakers. That's assuming the speaker is blown and it's not an electronic issue.

If you buy a Sena SMH10, the unit comes with only a speaker base. You have to buy the ear bud base separately. Some of the other sena models now come with a combined ear bud, speaker base, so no extra base is needed. Maybe the SM20??

Personally, I wouldn't mess with it. If it's an electronics issue, you're gonna find that out too late. Get a different helmet, personally, I love my Scorpion EXO1000, stick a Sena on it and make your life easier. I've had my Sena since like 2010, and it's still going.

Ah, that makes sense about the Sena speakers and ear bud kits. I was looking at their website and between what you said and their info, it makes sense now.

The funny/odd thing about the left speaker, is it works intermittently. Sometimes it can be tapped with a close fist on the left side of the exterior shell and it will work again for a little while. Same symptoms on the original helmet.

I appreciate the advice and ideas. Another reason this forum is so great!! Better speakers could be an acceptable fix for the time being. Maybe an upgrade is in order in the future.

Ah, that makes sense about the Sena speakers and ear bud kits. I was looking at their website and between what you said and their info, it makes sense now.
The funny/odd thing about the left speaker, is it works intermittently. Sometimes it can be tapped with a close fist on the left side of the exterior shell and it will work again for a little while. Same symptoms on the original helmet.

I appreciate the advice and ideas. Another reason this forum is so great!! Better speakers could be an acceptable fix for the time being. Maybe an upgrade is in order in the future.
Perhaps you could get a fellow rider to carry a large stick and every 10 miles or so they could ride up next to you and smack the side of your helmet. This would be fairly cheap to do and would provide tremendous enjoyment to whomever was carrying the stick. It would also help improve close formation riding skills.

Or you could buy some new electronics. But that would be so boring.

Out of likes^^^

If I could get the wife on the back of the bike, problem solved as she could provide the fix you described.

I use the SMH5-FM. I think it's the best buy overall for the Sena products. I think I paid about $125 for it. Not as much range as the other models, but the built in FM is a plus. And it does the standard intercom features as well as the ability to pair two bluetooth devices. Every time I think about upgrading, I talk myself out of it when I realize that the new units don't really do too much more than the one I have.

Sounds like you have two issues:

1) Won't connect to Senas: If the Bilt unit won't connect with a Sena unit, then a replacement will not solve that problem. I wonder how they could not communicate, since Bluetooth is Bluetooth is Bluetooth. It takes me a while to connect to others -- even if they have a Sena -- so be patient and follow the instructions carefully.

2) Music volume vs road noise: As HotRodZilla mentioned, earbuds are great! I use Fuze custom molded earbuds, and they plug into my Sena base unit. Putting on my helmet is now a drawn-out process (earbuds, eyeglasses, balaclava, etc) but road noise is cut sharply, and I hear music at noise levels that are relatively quiet.

As for your budget, I love my Bell helmet, but it's 7 years old. I found a better Bell (Star Carbon Pinned) replacement at sporttrackbikegear.com for half price. Sale was easy, shipping was great, helmet looks fab-o-lah and weighs almost nothing. If you set aside $275 for a Sena, that leaves PLENTY of money in your budget for a nice hat.

Someone - I think it was KJ - posted a thread on here sometime back about grafting in a set of speaker drivers from a set of Koss Porta Pro headphones. I did so on my scala G4 setup and was surprised at the increase I got in both volume and sound quality. IIRC, a 25 watt soldering iron was all I needed. Might be a viable option if you want to stick with what you have and not have to worry about speaker failure.

IIRC, the original post I referred to contained a link for this video

It's for a Shuberth C3 system but, if yours has solder terminals, method should be similar.

Update on the "shituation"

Headed over to Cycle Gear (INDY) yesterday after some good times with friends on the FJRs.

I first want to say that the people over there are hard workers and very helpful. I had 2 returns to process and it was super easy with them. Pair of gloves were defective and split at the seams. Prob because they were on clearance. No questions return policy.

Tank Bag I bought for day trips was too small for pretty much everything. Returned with no problem.

HELMET, they warrantied no problem. I bought the thing for 180 bucks. She was shocked that I paid that little. Must have been on sale and then got some kind of discount on top of it. But I got what I paid for essentially. I can return the helmet but must use that money on a new helmet in store. So I am looking for a helmet they have or can order. They will price match pretty much anything. So my helmet hunt is on.

The girl over there was a gear expert and she did know her stuff. She made recommendations similar to what some of you have said about getting a quality helmet and putting a comm device in it. I may just go with the earbuds hooked to the phone for the spring break trip. Then upgrade to a Sena or other comm device later when funds become available.

My helmet wish list items include

Quiet

Drop Down internal Visor

Comm capable. Prob Sena

External Smoke Visor that is reasonably priced

NO racer boy graphics

I know it is gonna cost me 500, so be it.

Best helmet out there for 500? I have a 180 credit at Cycle Gear, so help me find a good one. If you see something while you are looking at other gear places, let me know.

Thanks in advance

^^^^^ Damn, son; you can get a DOT and Snell hat for considerably less than $500. I've tried to find a quiet helmet, too, and I've kind of decided that's a fool's errand. Quiet is relative, and that's why I wear earplugs.

^^^^^ Damn, son; you can get a DOT and Snell hat for considerably less than $500. I've tried to find a quiet helmet, too, and I've kind of decided that's a fool's errand. Quiet is relative, and that's why I wear earplugs.
The fit, finish, feel, and review/ratings are subjective for sure. Anything will be a significant upgrade to what I was riding with, but DAMN, there is so many choices out there.

I am having a heck of a time sifting through all the other reviews and recommendations of Internet companies. I will likely wear ear plugs or ear buds. I really like how it cancels out all the other distractions. I can feel the gear I am in. I really only want the music, bluetooth, or even phone( although I could do without that 99% of the time anyway) for when I am on a slab or boring road. I never need music when rolling in the corners.

I was searching for some comparison articles and have not found what I am really looking for yet. I even searched helmet comparos on here. Too subjective to tackle. Remember, I live at least 90 miles from a real store that has more than 5 choices.

I was hoping to hear or see a link that did some of the comparisons for me.