Helmet Comm issues

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you want full face or modular? You want the drop down visor and a smoked outer visor?

The Schuberth is supposed to be very quiet for a modular but the lever for the internal visor is in the way of where you would install most comm systems.

If you look at the Revzilla website they have a video review of almost everything they sell. You can get some pretty decent information from those videos.

You can probably find a nice Bell or AGV for well under $500 that would be a great helmet ... If you want a bit more premium, you can't really go wrong with any Shoei. I would say Arai but they dont make one with an internal visor ...

The Shoei helmets have speaker cutouts and are prepped for a Sena install .. Im not sure about the other brands ...

Do you want full face or modular? You want the drop down visor and a smoked outer visor?
The Schuberth is supposed to be very quiet for a modular but the lever for the internal visor is in the way of where you would install most comm systems.

If you look at the Revzilla website they have a video review of almost everything they sell. You can get some pretty decent information from those videos.
Good question

I would like a smoke/mirror outer visor AND the internal visor. In the flat open terrain I have around here, nothing works better than that when looking directly into the sun. We have East West roads that have nearly zero elevation change and you can get stuck looking into that for an hour sometimes.

Been spending a bunch of time on Zilla website I think I have 9 internet web pages open besides this one.

Webbikeworld.com has some very thorough reviews and good advice on helmet shapes as they pertain to different heads.
The reviews here are exactly what I was looking for. Sound and other measurables are discussed. Thank you

You can probably find a nice Bell or AGV for well under $500 that would be a great helmet ... If you want a bit more premium, you can't really go wrong with any Shoei. I would say Arai but they dont make one with an internal visor ...
The Shoei helmets have speaker cutouts and are prepped for a Sena install .. Im not sure about the other brands ...

You are thinking what I am thinking.

I will say that for ME the Shoei Neotec is the finest crash cap I have ever worn. I love that helmet. The only problem I have with the Shoei, and this is the only helmet I have this problem with so far, is that it flows so much air in the top vents that bugs get inside. The bugs then crawl around in what hair I have left and I have to STOP Right Now! to get them out. The ones that die leave black spots on my polished skull where the air vents empty into my helmet.

If certifications are important to you, it is worth mentioning that as soon as you add a (modular) opening front OR an internal visor you lose the Snell rating.

They still have the DOT cert and some other European cert as well. But Snell is gone. As I understand it, Snell is the more stringent rating and I guess that would mean that Snell rated is safer.

Personal preference will prevail here though as a lot of these helmets are top quality and provide excellent protection.

That is why Arai does not make modulars or install internal visors.

No problem for me as I think they are safe "enough" . But, it's up to the individual.

Happy shopping.

That neotec is sweet though. Probably right around 500 or so I have seen them for.

I think going in educated with reviews is a great first step but until you have had the helmet on your head for a little while in the store you will never be able to make the best decision on a helmet. When I purchased my Tenere, I had my heart set on a Arai XD4 adventure helmet. After wearing it for a little while at the Minneapolis motorcycle show I knew there was no way I would be able to wear that helmet. I feel Shoei helmets are my only option because they fit my goofy head the best.

Last edited by a moderator:
Revzilla has the Schuberth C-2 full face and modular C-3 on sale for around $300.00 each. They have an internal sunscreen and you can buy a dark screen for the face shield after the fact if you still want and need it. Then for a little over $250.00 you can score a Sena 20s unit. Now I think that the Schuberth may come with their own com system, but having never owned one I can't say. I do know that Schuberth makes a very fine product and that many people think their helmets are the quietest helmets on the market.

I've had Shoei Quest, Arai Defiant and Scorpion Exo 1100, Shark RSR2 and a host of less expensive helmets. If the Scorpion Exo 1100 fits you OK you may be happy. It's light, has a internal sunscreen feels relatively good, ECE and Snell certified, and has inexpensive additional tinted shields. I still have and like mine.

I'm going to try to ride to Kentucky from Chicago on Friday and home on Monday, if I can get an "out of work free" for Friday. If you want me to I can wear one of the group of Arai, Shoei, Shark, and Scorpion while I have one other on the bike as a second and let you check out two if you have time for a hello on Friday or Sunday (way down or back).

The fit, finish, feel, and review/ratings are subjective for sure. Anything will be a significant upgrade to what I was riding with, but DAMN, there is so many choices out there.
I am having a heck of a time sifting through all the other reviews and recommendations of Internet companies. I will likely wear ear plugs or ear buds. I really like how it cancels out all the other distractions. I can feel the gear I am in. I really only want the music, bluetooth, or even phone( although I could do without that 99% of the time anyway) for when I am on a slab or boring road. I never need music when rolling in the corners.

I was searching for some comparison articles and have not found what I am really looking for yet. I even searched helmet comparos on here. Too subjective to tackle. Remember, I live at least 90 miles from a real store that has more than 5 choices.

I was hoping to hear or see a link that did some of the comparisons for me.
I finally went the Bluetooth way after using an Autocom system for several years.

By the time I replaced a few leads / accessories I needed, it was cheaper to buy the Sena SMH10.

I bought the SMH-A303 base as I use fitted silicon Earmolds (great sound) and the SR10, a Bluetooth hub for my CB radio, the SR10 also has 2 additional aux inputs.

Use one for the Zumo 550 and the other for a detector.

Abercrombie FJR posted: I think going in educated with reviews is a great first step but until you have had the helmet on your head for a little while in the store you will never be able to make the best decision on a helmet. When I purchased my Tenere had my heart set on a Arai XD4 adventure helmet. After wearing it for a little while at the Minneapolis motorcycle show I knew there was no way I would be able to wear that helmet. I feel Shoei helmets are my only option because they fit my goofy head the best.
That right there is the best advice ever: " ... but until you have had the helmet on your head for a little while in the store you will never be able to make the best decision ..."

That's the biggest reason I wear Bells. I KNOW their helmets will fit my head.

I use these with my 20s and the sound is much more deep & full. Half the volume of the stock 20s speakers.

https://www.torkworld.com/helmet-speakers/xpro-speaker-elements.html

tork-elements.jpg

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Starting to Narrow it down after researching features, fitment, and other stuff like Abercrombie said.

I have to try them on first as you all have stated.

One caveat is that I have to buy it from cycle gear. Since I have the credit of 180 bucks there from the other helmet. But they said they will price match. So I should be able to get whatever is out there for the best price.

Gurok, The Qwest is one of the models I have been considering. I wear a Large Shoei, if we can find a place to meet up. If you head this way, depending on where in Kentucky you are headed, I could ride South through Southern Indiana before heading back for home. I get out of school at 2:30 so I would be ready to ride by 3:00 over that way. Send me a PM of your intended route. I think they are predicting rain though.

I use these with my 20s and the sound is much more deep & full. Half the volume of the stock 20s speakers.https://www.torkworld.com/helmet-speakers/xpro-speaker-elements.html

tork-elements.jpg
That is a really cool idea, but there is NO WAY i am soldering on a brand new helmet. Chicken for sure. My luck is I would wind up catching the liner on fire.
Would that not be covered under warranty?
no.gif

When i replaced them on my sena I was able to do it on my bench.

So I preliminary narrowed it down to a couple of Shoeis. I like the GT Air. Best Price I have seen is 495 Super Quiet, Internal Sun Shade, Pin Lock visor included and looks good. The one I had on fit my head in the store. Cycle Gear carries them and will price match anything else.

The only problem is the visors are only clear. You can get them tinted, but not in the US. I really like the dark visors for the look and function. If I can find a way to get the visors, this is likely my pick

The Neotech ($ 525 closeout on Revzilla) has much of the same features but the same problem with visors (since they are the same visor) Apparently, the US market has some liability issues with Dark visors and Dark internal sun shields. Someone apparently used both, wrecked, and is suing Shoei.

Still kicking around some others, but those two are near the top right now. It is a chunk of change, but I know it is a major upgrade.

Has anyone seen a great deal on either of these helmets? I have checked a Rev, STG, and a few others. Close outs are good too. Thanks

I don't see much on it above so let me add a bit out of my experience.

I'm using modular helmets all the way because of wearing the glasses and now willing to play with taking them off and on when getting the lid on. My brand of choice is Nolan. I'm currently on my second one. I used to have the second hand N102 for about 2 years and I was happy enough with it to get a new N104 a bit over a year ago. It isn't the lightest or the best out there but it did meet my needs at a good price and it does fit my head great.

You can score them for under $300 online. I was testing few others, including riding in G-MAX modular that was getting great online reviews and I returned it after 2 weeks. Went back to Nolan. I feel safe in it and that is the must to me. When buying I was looking for some crash test results like: https://www.crash.org.au/ratings.php or https://sharp.direct.gov.uk/testsratings/nolan-n104 and found them to be on the safe side.

When riding the Nolan I feel confident about the chin bar closure and overall quality what matters when you plan to keep it for a while. I have made on my current one about 15k miles and have no issues that would come up with age.

It has internal sun visor which is easy to operate and spring loaded. Visor pin lock takes great care of the fogging although it did require some invention of mine to last long (let me know if you want the details). Venting is very good, noise is at good level to my opinion. Field of view is huge and I love the quick buckle solution that I can operate even in heaviest insulated gloves (I'm allergic to the double D ring solution from most of the helmets)

If I was to complain about something that would be the water finding its way in at heavy rain. It leaves your head dry but you may find some drops coming down between the sun visor and windscreen. Do not bother me enough to replace the lid though.

With all the time I spent with it I just ordered now the dedicated N-com B5 for it ($215 from Germany) and I'm waiting for the delivery. You can put Sena in or others but it is not super simple and N-com should work great and clean. It supposedly can communicate with other brands like Sena or Scala.

Overall, if you want, you can get the set like that for around $500 and it should meet your needs. Just one more option to consider.

Edit: A bit commercial material but still some nice examples here: https://www.nolan-usa.com/testimonials/

The Nolan is a "good" helmet but it has a couple strikes against it.

The N104 which is their flagship modular has a HUGE outer shell compared to other helmets in that class. It is quite obvious when next to pretty much any other brand. Mass relates directly to weight.

The sunvisor mechanism on the N104 is completely in the way of where the aftermarket comm systems need to mount to the helmet. No way I could see to install my Cardo on the N104.

Noise. The N102 and the N103 were noisy. I have not tried the N104. My N103 Nolan Noisemaker was irritatingly loud after a while on the road.

Pop and I both rode many miles under N103s and Pop crashed hard in an N102. The crash performance was perfect by the way. Our Shoei Neotecs are much more solid, better made, quieter, have MUCH better ventilation, and are more comfortable to wear all day.

That said, my Nolan N86 full face is supposed to arrive here tomorrow. I love that Nolan quick release mechanism and wanted an "everyday" helmet. My Shoei has the Cardo installed and I would rather not have to deal with that for commuting and errand running all the time. Looking forward to the convenience of a regular full face and that quick release buckle.

The new Shoei RF-1200 just showed up today! Hopefully I have better luck mounting my Sena SMH-10 in this helmet than I did with my old Shoei X-12. I have had the Sena since before last years SW-FOG so it is time to get it mounted up and hear what my Garmin is telling me. Unfortunately the Shoei MSF rider coach discount has been reduced so the price wasn't as good as I was expecting.