Helmet Comm issues

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After much research, scanning websites, reading reviews, and price checking I found what I want. I bought a Sena 20s from Cycle Gear for $217. They price matched the lowest I found on the web. Now I am waiting on the Shoei GT Air to show up. It might not happen until after the trip, but at least I made a decision

For as much of a hard time some folks give Cycle Gear(me included at times), I have to say that the one in Indy did everything they could to help me out. Specifically Kenzie at the store in Indy she tried everything possible to make it happen!

I found a GT AIr that I liked on close out from another retailer. Cycle Gear did not have that exact one but would get one and price match it. They found one in Knoxville Tenn, but are concerned that they will not get it in time for my trip. So it is on its way to the Indy store. That is plan #1. Problem is that they will not get it until Wednesday or Thursday. And I have parent teacher conferences those nights. Which means I am not driving 90 miles to Indy either night. Dang!!!

Plan #2 is to order it through the other retailer. I am waiting on a call from the manager at that store to see if he can get it shipped directly to me in time for the trip.

Plan #3 is to just order it through the original website that I saw it on. The reason I do not want to do this is because I like to pay cash for motorcycle things. This keeps Mama from knowing how much this stuff costs. And thus me out of trouble!! She knows it ain't free, but everyone's got a hidden stash right??

Last edited by a moderator:
At least you were able to make an educated decision and you are moving forward. I think the GT Air is a good choice. You seldom regret buying quality stuff.

My Nolan N86 arrived from Revzilla Thursday. My wife got home before I did and found the box at the door. She sent me a pic and a brief, "A box arrived for you." I could sense the invisible question marks but she did not ask. When I got home I simply told her I needed an "everyday" helmet. A helmet is a safety item, I ride the bike more than I drive the truck, she does not fuss.

I can tell already the Nolan is not at the same level as my Shoei Neotec but it is a nice helmet. Since the Shoei costs about $400 more than the Nolan, there better be some noticeable differences. Of course it has been raining almost constantly and we are about to experience some historic flooding so the new Nolan is still sitting on my dresser with the stickers still on the visor.

Why cant Cycle gear arrange to have it sent directly to your house instead of you having to go get it?
I had the same question. Sopposedly they can not do direct transfers to customers. It first must be transfered to a store then to me. Something to do with price matching and close out stuff. Plus if they do that it has to transfer from Knoxville to Indy, and then be shipped to me. Which will be too late.

She was totally aware that it may cost them a sale, but still can't make it happen.

This is the plan going forward from here. Cycle Gear of Knoxville forwarded this helmet to the St. Louis Cycle Gear. I would of had them send it to Indy but I have parent teacher conferences Wed and Thurs and it is frowned upon missing those. Never-mind the fact that I will have less than 6 conferences combined in 2 nights.

GT-Air_Inertia_TC-5.jpg

Hooking up a Sena 20s to it as well.

Total cost to upgrade to this helmet and the Sena 20 is $595. 380 for the Helmet and 215 for the Sena. I did not get the dark shield yet because Shoei will not let you buy one from a dealer because of some liability issues. Apparently someone was using a dark shield and had the internal visor down when they crashed and are suing Shoei because it somehow is their fault it was too dark for the guy.

But there is an online retailer will ship one to me for 54 bucks. It comes in the Shoei packaging but from a secondary retailer so they are not on the lawyer hook.

I appreciate all the suggestions and information gleaned through the thread.

Cycle Gear was not happy about price matching a deal so low, but they said they would and I held them to it. Same thing on the Sena.

Shoei must not like them discounting stuff.

As for sending it directly to me, that is a no-can-do because they do not like to take credit cards over the phone. They have to see the card because they have had people order stuff on stolen credit cards. Oh well.

GT-Air_Inertia_TC-5.jpg

This is the plan going forward from here. Cycle Gear of Knoxville forwarded this helmet to the St. Louis Cycle Gear. I would of had them send it to Indy but I have parent teacher conferences Wed and Thurs and it is frowned upon missing those. Never-mind the fact that I will have less than 6 conferences combined in 2 nights.

So RJAMT and I are going to meet there and start our adventure then. Hooking up a Sena 20s to it as well.

I appreciate all the suggestions and information gleaned through the thread.

Cycle Gear was not happy about price matching a deal so low, but they said they would and I held them to it. Same thing on the Sena. Shoei must not like them discounting stuff.

As for sending it directly to me, that is a no-can-do because they do not like to take credit cards over the phone. They have to see the card because they have had people order stuff on stolen credit cards. Oh well.
I can't wait to hear how you like the GT Air. I was torn between the GT Air and the RF-1200 but ultimately went with the RF-1200 in combination with the transition shield. That hidden tinted shield on the GT-Air should be a slick deal.

Kevin,

I was so close to the RF, but this deal was too good to pass up. Your helmet is awesome looking, but could use some HI-VIZ to make it perfect
smile.png

I also am getting a tinted exterior visor. See my edited post or check this link out.

https://www.thevisorshop.com/en/Shoei--Visor-CNS-1-PN-For-Neotec-and-GT-Air/m-15367.aspx

I never realized how scratchy and rough the interior of cheap helmets were until I tried on some of the upper level ones. That is likely just the first layer of upgrades in a different price bracket.

Thanks Mudder.

Got the helmet today, it is a little snug but that will loosen up a little. The helmet is da bomb. The Sena 20 is even "betterer" than I thought. Intercom with John is great. Music quality and volume level is way better than the Bilt model.

Huge upgrade for sure. Thanks for all the advice you helped me choose wisely

Side note about cycle gear. They went above and beyond to get me exactly what I wanted. It was a close out model and retailed for over 640. I bought it for 379. They priced matched the best deal I could find with no questions. The Sena was installed perfect by them as well. And they prices matches that too from the best internet place. I will be writing a thank u letter to them for their cooperation and effort. 3 stores were involved in this process.