helmet holders

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I purchased two goldwing helmet locks (with the key - that's important) from e-bay for about $20. Each has two bolts that screw in from the back.
I was thinking about mounting them to one of the saddlebags, but I don't always ride with them on. There's not a lot of other solid panels or exposed metal framework on the bike to bolt them on. Might be able to get them on the license plate bracket, but am worried about the hot pipes (I know, I know "google search helmet lock and exhaust pipes").

Hopefully I can get them rekeyed to to match my key.

Any other suggestions as to where to mount one of them?
I used a pair of similar locks from JC Whitney and mounted them to the rear fender on the flat part on either side of the license plate light. Works very well for me and when used with one helmet it never touches the muffler, the chinbar rests on the rear reflector. Two helmets are good if you're careful but not a problem.
Thanks, I'll look into that option. I'm also thinking about mounting under the seat and using the D-ring or cable in conjunction with the lock. It would be nice to get it on teh frame somewhere, like right next to the seat lock mechanism.

I had the same issue as others, how to secure my helmet. I found what I believe to be the simplest solution. I simply open a saddle bag and slide the helmet strap into the top of the saddle bag and then close and lock the saddle bag onto the strap. I do this to secure both mine and my passengers helmet on the bike. No extra cables or locks. Quick, simple and secure. I haven't had any issues of the helmet pulling loose.

Don't hang your helmet upside down. Set it right side up on the seat and secure it with a short piece of vinyl covered steel wire cable.

Like so:

2929300040098858932S600x600Q85.jpg
Although the saddlebag lock is a good trick most of the time, I like Fred's solution here when it's hot and Sunny. This will keep the seats cooler.

Another old dog thread that's come back to life.

After having somebody steal my helmet years ago by cutting the strap, I went to a simple bicycle cable lock. I can lock 2 helmets and 2 jackets to pretty much any bike and they will be there when I return.

1061fb5c.jpg