Helmets

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve'o'

Reaction score
Now that I have the FJR I suppose I need to get a proper helmet, fullface I suppose. I've always had a cruiser and a half helmet, which I think would probably look a bit "out of place" on an FJR. What would be some of the best bangs for the buck in a fullface say for under $300 or so.

I am planning to do a review on my recent purchase of the new Shoei Qwest.

I highly recommend this helmet. Super quiet and comfortable. Smoothed out the buffetting behind the stock windshield. It has really convenient built in speaker pockets for audo devices. The helmet is designed with the sport touring rider in mind.

I bought mine at revzilla for 315.00 shipped. I also ordered a dark smoke tinted shield for it which took my order up to $348.00.

Shoei Qwest

Video Review

Last edited by a moderator:
Let me second the Quest, it's quiet but even better is the size of the face shield, it's huge. It has excellent visibility.

DC

Of course, the MOST important thing is to get a helmet that fits you properly. Some helmets have an interior shell shape that doesn't really match everyone's head. This leads to comfort issues over time, but more importantly could compromise the level of protection in a crash. I'd say go to a shop and try a bunch on. Don't be afraid to keep a helmet on and walk around for 10 minutes to see if any pressure points come up.

Arai helmets are probably out of your price range, but this video may help in making sure you get a proper fitting helmet: https://www.araiamericas.com/default.aspx?pageid=92

Shark RSI.

Good: Fits my melon. Great fit and finish. Good ventalation. Paint is tough as nails.

Bad: No speaker pockets, a bit heavy. Occasionally when looking over shoulder, the shield opens (I think they corrected that issue). And the number one issue, it does not fit in the side bag.

I have had many helmets and this one fits be better than any I have found. The few issues are easy to deal with. The eventual replacement will fit in the side case.

I also have just bought the Shoei Quest, after using the X-11 for the past four years. The difference is amazing. I just put the stock windscreen back on. I no longer need the CalSci XL I was using. No buffeting and very quiet. Only cons I can see is that the shield fits so snug that it tends to fog up when its cold ooutside. Other than that, its the best helmet I've ever had. Got mine for $279 from Comp Acc

Last edited by a moderator:
For those that have the qwest how does it flow? Im looking for a new helmet if looked at the rf1100 and even the aria vector. Living in the south I need a God flowing helmet. I do t care for the qwest that much not having removal liner. Anyway thanks for any input

For those that have the qwest how does it flow? Im looking for a new helmet if looked at the rf1100 and even the aria vector. Living in the south I need a God flowing helmet. I do t care for the qwest that much not having removal liner. Anyway thanks for any input
It flows tons of air, but when you open up the vents you sacrifice the quietness. The chin vent does a good job keeping the shield from fogging up. When I open the brow vents I can feel the air flowing through my hair. Most noticeable venting I've ever experience on a helmet

I think the RF1100 would have better flow but it's $100 bucks more

Had a number of different helmets in my time, but just bought a Schuberth C3, now that they are DOT approved. Best fit, best noise reduction, best airflow I have had. Expensive but my head is worth it.

Had a number of different helmets in my time, but just bought a Schuberth C3, now that they are DOT approved. Best fit, best noise reduction, best airflow I have had. Expensive but my head is worth it.
The Schuberth is on my "to buy" list. At $700 it will take me awhile to save up for it.

Now that I have the FJR I suppose I need to get a proper helmet, fullface I suppose. I've always had a cruiser and a half helmet, which I think would probably look a bit "out of place" on an FJR. What would be some of the best bangs for the buck in a fullface say for under $300 or so.
Price should not be a factor in buying a helmet. I used to always think about price, but when I bought my last helmet I decided that I'm not going to consider price or brand. I wound up with the best fitting helmet I've ever had. It cost $500, but is worth every penny. A good helmet will last 5 years; isn't it worth being comfortable and safe?

Price should not be a factor in buying a helmet. I used to always think about price, but when I bought my last helmet I decided that I'm not going to consider price or brand. I wound up with the best fitting helmet I've ever had. It cost $500, but is worth every penny. A good helmet will last 5 years; isn't it worth being comfortable and safe?
I'll agree to an extent. I bought an HJC FS-15 last year when my Arai shield mechanism broke. I loved the comfort of the Arai but hated the shield mechanism. I couldn't stomach at the time spending $300 on a new helmet for the last month of the riding season. The FS-15 was okay, but I soon could tell the difference the extra $200 dollars buys and bought my Shoei. I'll never skimp on helmets again.

+1. IMHO, its not about how much it costs, or what it looks like, or the brand. Its what do you want on your head when you crash? And, can you wear it for 10 hours without getting hot spots? Shoei's are super helmets (I have one myself, an RF1100) but they dont fit everyone. As a previous poster said, wear it in the shop for 10-20 minutes, and MAKE SURE IT FITS. Also, understand different models from the same brand may fit differently. If there's ANY discomfort after 20 minutes, guaranteed it will kill you after 3 hours. It took us 4 helmets to get one to fit my wife, and we tried Shoei, Arai, and a couple Scorpions. Jackets, pants, and gloves are important, but your helmet is THE most important piece of gear you will buy for protection. You really shouldnt skimp.