Helmets

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angus

Angus
Reaction score
I have been looking at helmets I have never had a real good helmet what are the opinions of the Shoie fr 1200 are they worth the money or should I be looking elsewhere.

I have a Shoie 1100. Best helmet i've ever had. Very comfortable. I used it for 7 years until I knew I had to buy a new one.

Got a Neotech. I'm still breaking it in, but for my purposes. It's the best ever.

angus, best advice, get the best helmet that fits that you can afford! Helmets by brand fit different shape heads. Find what fits best, should be snug, not tight. I've owned Shoei, very good helmet. When it was time to upgrade,I looked at Shoei modular, Schuberth and Nolan. Shoei and Schuberth were over $600, the Nolan $375. While it is a good unit it is not the caliber of quality of the other two.

Buy the best you can afford and enjoy.

I have been looking at helmets I have never had a real good helmet what are the opinions of the Shoie fr 1200 are they worth the money or should I be looking elsewhere.
This is a very good question. I have a modulated Nolan helmet. And I think, that its noisy. Without buying every helmet ever made.... What say you?

I recently bought another modular helmet. I wear glasses and that type seems to be the most comfortable on and off for me. I tried a lot of them on and settled on a HJC RPHA Max Helmet-Solid. I've never had such a comfortable lid, guess I finally found one to fit my head. I'm also pleased with how quiet it is. For me its been a perfect fit!

I am running an RF-1200 and love it. That is because it fits me well. It is quiet if the vents are closed. Open vents add quite a bit of noise.

I have been riding with a Arai Defiant Pro Cruise and absolutely love it. I just picked up an HJC IS-Max II modular helmet for long distance riding. I'm not really a fan of Modulars, but it will allow me to eat and drink while on the bike.

I will still use my Arai while riding my Bonneville and Magna.

You need to find a good fit before you worry about any brand - they make them for different shaped heads, and not everyone can wear every brand or model.

A more expensive helmet is not going to protect better than a cheap one if it doesn't fit correctly.

you have to go to a local shop, figure a price range and try on different models or brands, without looking at price or graphics , to get ideas of fit. different brands fit different, and different models in the brand can fit different also.

then pin down looks and pricing. Fit is most important.

hope that makes sense.
smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Find what fits, then get reviews on how quiet they are.

(I'm very happy with my Shuberth C3 modular, pricy, but over the years I've had it, a good investment.)

Even your hair cut can impact how comfortable a helmet is. Of the moveable chinbar styles, I have a Schuberth C3 and a Shoei NeoTec currently, and I blow hot and cold on which I like better.

The fit on the Schuberth is best when I've had a haircut. 4 months later, when I'm thinking about another haircut, I find myself having shifted over to the NeoTec.

Both are nominally size L. Both have had cheek pad custom fitting.

I have friends who swear by one brand or another, and swear at the choices of other friends, and all because of this fitting issue.

Everyone says that the fits are different, and this is true. Arai is probably the company with the most choices. They have helmets for nearly circular skulls, and for medium oval and long oval skulls as well.

Just about all of the major companies will sell you custom crown and cheek piece inserts to replace the stock versions.

So ... if you can figure out what basic shape fits you best, then you can focus on the appropriate manufacturer(s). And then you can focus on the fine tuning of crown and cheek piece adjustments.

Or ... you can just go buy a helmet and ride. Probably more people take that approach than any other. YMMV

I have shoei and Nolan. I prefer Nolan modulars. The shoeis are slightly quieter than my nolans, but neither is quiet enough to ride in without earplugs, so that's a wash. Can't go wrong with either. I tried a bell revolver evo on a whim as it was on clearance. Now that's a loud helmet....

More than a few years ago, BMW would give out T-Shirts at dealer open houses and demo days. My second favorite says "Yes, I have a hair stylist. His name is Helmet"

I've had Bell (real Bell, not the current Chinese version), Shoei, HJC, KBC, Joe Rocket (HJC with stickers), Scorpion, and a few others too cheap for names. I've paid everywhere from $10 (yes, really -- but I'm old) to $400. In all those helmets I've had great fits, poor fits, loud and quiet -- and the price was never a great determinant for which a helmet was going to be. My current Scorpion was $50 at Motorcyclegear, made in China, and one of the best helmets I've had for fit, noise, and airflow.