Help needed with heated grip install

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

993_Pilot

Reaction score
I may have missed it, but I have searched! I just got my bike about a week ago and I am in the middle of installing heated grips on my '06. I am using a relay for for direct power from the battery, but I need an switched power source to trigger the relay. The headlight circuit seems like it would be the best, but I can't figure out an easy way to do this. I don't have an electrical schematic or the Shop manual yet to guide me so I need a bit of help. Can anyone explain the best place to tap in for the power without butchering my harness? Pictures would be even better if anyone has them. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
I tapped into a blue wire that runs along the left side of the frame behind the side cover to the rear taillights. It is switched power. I can get a picture of it for you tomorrow if you want.

Some guys might dog pile ya for not being a geeky! Hey I'm new here and I have my Favorites filled with little things I want to do. Here ya go no clickys just the link! (I'm not so smart)

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...c=8074&st=0

I don't know what grips your doing shouldn't really matter. The one thing I did that I didn't like is that I put the fuse close to the relay and should have put it by the battery.

If your not following me, the picture's show the wire on the right side by and kinda below the glove box once you get the four black covers off (two left and two right).

The reason I don't like what I did is that the power wire runs hot from the battery over to the fuse that is on the other side!

That might be two feet of wire that could get shorted direct to the battery. (not good) This will be fixed when I get my FZ1???? mirrors and have to pull the darn black covers off again.

I remember my old 65 Pan didn't have any fuses on it and I found some sort of breaker deal that went to the positive post and would run the whole bike. Now I don't think having that big of a fuse is right but it was a clean and small set up. So I'm looking myself for the right set up.

I do think that you might want to run a more than heated grips off that relay, you can use that relay to power a lot of different things thru a fuse box as you go farkle crazy. Good luck I'm sure most of these guy's have done it all more than once them selfs!

Thanks for the replies. It is after midnight, and I finally got it done. I fused the Hot Battery lead next to the battery and I picked up power to trigger the relay from the Power outlet going in to the glove box. I left a pigtail for future use on the relay, so I should be set if I want to add more electric farkles. It all appears to work, but I don't want to run the bike this late since the wife and kids are snoozing. I will leave the real test for the morning and I'll keep my finger crossed until then.

I tapped into a blue wire that runs along the left side of the frame behind the side cover to the rear taillights. It is switched power. I can get a picture of it for you tomorrow if you want.
That blue wire is the constant power for the tail light ( a perect source for the relay). The yellow wire becomes "hot" only when you apply the brakes.

Way back when, when I added a relay for accessories, I used the wire described here: https://www.fjr1300.info/mods/relay.html

to activate the relay. Scroll down about halfway to the discussion about the green wire with blue stripe. As discussed, this wire is only hot when the head light is on, ie bike has been started. That way your various power robbing farkles don't load the battery when bike id being started. The FJR wizards that came before us have already figured it out.

I don't know if this wiring configuration is still in effect for the Gen 2 bikes, so maybe check that first with a circuit tester.

Good luck.

I picked up the switched power for my heated grips from the "Hazard light" fuse. I figured if something happened and they shorted and blew the fuse...oh no...my hazard lights don't work! Far from a crisis. And who's bright f@#king idea was it at Yamaha to make the hazards a switched circuit anyway?? Terrible idea in my opinion. But a good place to pick up a switched & fused power source.

When I installed an OEM set on my '05 FJR I ran a fused wire from the positive lead of the battery for power. Instructions said handwarmers wouldn't come on without engine runing(measures voltage??) so no fear of running battery down. Anyway if engine isn't running handwarmers will not work on my bike, have to fire engine up. Tested a few times, only way to get them to work without engine running is to hook up a battery charger.