help sourcing a bolt

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rrarthur

Reaction score
Hey gang, I am tearing what little hair I have out looking for a bolt. I bought frame sliders and the right bolt came with a slight bend in it. I sent it back, and they sent out a replacement. The replacement also came bent. I'm looking for a source so I can just replace the bolt and get the bike put back together.

I need a socket cap screw / bolt.... M12 x 1.25 x 110mm Din 912, or I believe grade 8 is the equivalent.

I have tried Ace, true value, fleet farm, and the big box hardware stores. It should be easy to find, but the Metric, and fine thread, along with the length of 110mm is very hard to find. Does anyone know of a small shop that may have one. I can find some but I don't want to have to buy bulk.

Yes I'm also working with the place I originally purchased from, but given I got 2 bolts from them I don't have high confidence, and would just like to put the bike back together, and move on.

Hello, Do you have a " Grainger " store in your area ? or maybe " McMaster-Carr" on line ,you should b

able to find the bolt you need. I've found Grainger has a boat load of products,but tend to be a little high

in price. If you don't have one near you-going to pay for shipping.That probably will be more than the bolt ,but at least you'll get the right one. Hope this helps. Sliick

McMaster Carr

Graniger

Fastenal

All three can be found on-line.

Hey gang, I am tearing what little hair I have out looking for a bolt. I bought frame sliders and the right bolt came with a slight bend in it. I sent it back, and they sent out a replacement. The replacement also came bent. I'm looking for a source so I can just replace the bolt and get the bike put back together.

I need a socket cap screw / bolt.... M12 x 1.25 x 110mm Din 912, or I believe grade 8 is the equivalent.

Yes I'm also working with the place I originally purchased from, but given I got 2 bolts from them I don't have high confidence, and would just like to put the bike back together, and move on.
Rrarthur,

For any Metric hardware, I believe that Maryland Metrics is about the best possible source in the USA. If you get lost in that warehouse, you had better have a box lunch with you.
help.gif

Send them an email with a good description of the bolt specs that you need. I think they do have a minimum order, but it was ridiculously low, and there must be some other stuff that you want from them in the same order, anyway.

https://mdmetric.com/

Cheers,

Infrared

most of the stores, fatsenal mcmaster and others want you to by 10 or 25 though and then charge you another $5-$15 shipping - Im having the same issue finding a nut - m18x 1.5 , full - i found a little local store that specialized in metric but still didnt have it, fortunately for me someone on the other forum had bough the 10'pack and was willing to post me one.

you can also see them in the uk at many stores - maybe you know someone ?

this may be what you want

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TWO-12mm-x-110mm-socket-head-steel-bolts-Zinc-plating-12x1-25-TPI-30mm-threaded-/180907678837?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a1ef01c75

I was about to suggest a hydraulic repair shop. I work for one and a lot of hydraulic crane cylinders are European and all metric fasteners. We keep bins of metric hardware in stock and pretty large sizes. We don't sell much over the counter but periodically someone stops in and we'll help them out.

You guys are great, I ran out for a little time, and you responded with some great answers while I was out.

I will try Napa to see if they can get one or have one, they are close and easy to see if they can get one. I love the hydraulic repair shop suggestion. I would have never thought of that. I also looked at Maryland Metrics, and will call on Monday to see if they will sell / ship just one bolt. I really appreciate the answers. I have also contacted the manufacturer of the farkle to see if they would send me a bolt if I can't get help from their US distributor. it looks like I will have to dig a little, but it does seem possible. Thanks gang for all the suggestions. My only saving grace is it's winter in Minnesota, so I won't be riding anytime soon. I just want my bike to be done.

Why not find a local machine/fab shop and walk in with the bent bolt?

Bet someone there could straighten it for you for little cost.

So going into a machine shop would be the easiest. I would assume that they heat it. Does that harm the integrity of the bolt?

So going into a machine shop would be the easiest. I would assume that they heat it. Does that harm the integrity of the bolt?
Depends on how far out of whack it is. Unless it is really tweaked it should be able to just be bent back to normal.Retired tool/die maker - bent plenty of things in my time.

Thanks guys for the info. I will see what Monday brings from the vendor. If they aren't going to move. I have a machine shop that offered to straighten the bolt. if that doesn't work I will take Intech up on his offer.

Guys I appreciate all the feedback. You guys offered some great suggestions. Thanks so much.