Hi Viz Opinions

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you do get over there, see if you can find out what's going on with the Hi viz. I ordered one yesterday morning and they say that they're on backorder for six weeks.
Six flippin weeks !!!!!!! Damn, I am still waiting for my Motofizz gear to show up and thats been about a month. I am going up there next monday, I'll let you know what I find out.

I also made my decision to go with the high-viz option during a heavy thunderstorm while playing hide and seek with a bunch of 18 wheelers on 1-40 in North AR. I went with the Olympia Phantom 1 piece suit and have really loved it. I talked with several owners and also looked at all of the reviews comparing it with the Roadcrafter. The summary of what I found was that the Phantom was more water proof and cost less, the Roadcrafter was slightly easier to get into and out of.
Note: Regardless if you go with the Phantom or the Roadcrafter, go buy 3 cans of spray on Scotchguard and seal the jacket to keep the colors bright before you take it on your first long trip.

DSC00246.jpg
Looks like Olympia has some cool options to check out. From the vest idea to the one piece they all look like they will get the job done.

Looks like Olympia has some cool options to check out. From the vest idea to the one piece they all look like they will get the job done.
Agreed. To my eye, the Olympia Hi-viz is way more Hi-Vizzy.

And on that same note, Roadcrafter recently closed out a ton of Hi-Viz gear making way for a new shade of yellow. Anyone know if it is at all brighter?

My Wife and I both have Olympia jackets. Mine is like the one above with the zip down mesh. Her is all the Hi-vis yellow. I'm telling the yellow hurts your eyes in the sun. It works well for what it is designed. I don't care what anyone says about the yellow in my jacket...Four wheel drivers can see you better.

To my eye, the Olympia Hi-viz is way more Hi-Vizzy.And on that same note, Roadcrafter recently closed out a ton of Hi-Viz gear making way for a new shade of yellow. Anyone know if it is at all brighter?
AFAIK, the latest 'Stich Hi-Vis (starting abt. a year ago w/Darien jackets?) is a brighter (somewhat 'greener') shade of yellow than the previous Hi-Vis.

If you do get over there, see if you can find out what's going on with the Hi viz. I ordered one yesterday morning and they say that they're on backorder for six weeks.
Six flippin weeks !!!!!!! Damn, I am still waiting for my Motofizz gear to show up and thats been about a month. I am going up there next monday, I'll let you know what I find out.
hey, pick me up a motofizz large while you're there. i have a friend in nigeria that promises he can pay you. i want one of those large bags. bad.

dean

cincinnati

I went Hi Viz myself this year. I wear an Olympia AST. I wore it to the Ohio Ramble and had someone tell me that he would probably go Hi Viz as well now that he saw one on the road. As a bonus, the Hi Viz does a good job of reflecting the heat.

Last edited by a moderator:
Been wear this Stich 2 pc for about 5 years. Ashe says that I look like a 600 # canary.........Ok, so I'm fat. If you go Hi-Viz, get ready for comments like, "which fire department do you work for?; That coat sure is ugly; etc".

I wouldn't ever go back to a black coat for any reason.........I've had people start to pull out, then stop and I'm convinced that the Hi-viz was the reason.....along with the HID's on bright.

By the way when I bought mine, and I rode in to Deluth from NC to do so, the Stich lady told me that Hi-viz was their most popular color.

hey, pick me up a motofizz large while you're there. i have a friend in nigeria that promises he can pay you. i want one of those large bags. bad.

dean

cincinnati
Last time I was there the medium and large bags were on backorder. They told me they had 150 bags on order that should be arriving approx June 15th. I went with the medium bag, had a chance to put their demo model on the bike and it just looked like a perfect fit. Since I don't do any camping and don't need to transport an entire camping site, looks like the medium will do da job.

I picked up a Stich one-piece Roadcrafter this summer in hi-viz with black trim. It is *very* bright and anyone that rides around me says that it makes a *huge* difference in their ability to spot me - especially at night. There is no doubt that it will make a significant difference in folks seeing you - night or day. Frankly, all it has to do is save your bacon once to be "worth it". :)

Mark

I picked up a Stich one-piece Roadcrafter this summer in hi-viz with black trim. It is *very* bright and anyone that rides around me says that it makes a *huge* difference in their ability to spot me - especially at night. There is no doubt that it will make a significant difference in folks seeing you - night or day. Frankly, all it has to do is save your bacon once to be "worth it". :)
Mark
I was thinking about the same color combination. Hi Viz with black ballistics. I dig the bumble bee look.

Hi-rez yellow is the only way to go IMHO. They are so safe, I even drink beer between rides while wearing it.

download_friday_banana_man_300x400.jpg

The only downside is that small children and monkeys try to peel and bite you. :unsure: I once had a belly revenous belly dancer peel me and take a bite, and in that case I didn't mind at all! :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
okay, i just had a very odd conversation with someone at riderwearhouse. i received the new mini-'stich catalog, and in it they talk of their newer, brighter hi-viz color for their suit. so i decided i'd call to ask time frames on a hi-viz 'stich.

i just typed out a long, drawn-out description of the conversation, but i'm deleting it. condensed version, conversation indicated it would be "months and months" before some new product would be available, when all i was asking was "i'd heard you were having a delay on hi-viz roadcrafters". they were very secretive and wanted to know the source of the delay-in-roadcrafter suit info. of course, i couldn't remember. but then he turned around and said if they had the material in stock, it would only take a day or so.

so i called back a few minutes later, as i was still confused, and spoke with someone else. he said all hi-viz suits going out now are the newer, brighter color; that it takes about 6-8 weeks to manufacture a roadcrafter. so i guess if they happen to have your suit already made, then it gets shipped immediately; otherwise, 6-8 weeks

i'm not really sure what to make of the first conversation, but i definitely got their curiosity going, as they wanted to know what i knew (which was very little), where i heard it, etc.

interesting...

dean

cincinnati