Highway Pegs

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
N

not_his_its_mine

Has anyone added additional pegs to your FJR to provide another foot position to stretch your legs on those long rides? I guess the older we get the less time it takes to stiffen up. I have a 2005 FJR with ABS.

Yep. Bill Riley's peg design works great for me. I was conerned about added damage in a rash but my engine panels were fine after a hard tip-over (Mokos might have made the save). Having another leg position adds a bunch more time I can hang in the saddle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another bonus with the highway pegs is that when you put your feet up, the heat pocket in the crotch area disappears. Works great.

Tom

I was conerned about added damage in a rash but my engine panels were fine after a hard tip-over (Mokos might have made the save).
I have seen the results of a high side at 30mph with the footpegs installed as mentioned above, also with the Moko's installed. Since they are each bolted to one of the engine cases, the result was an oil leak at the point of attachment on one side. Which could leave you stranded and not be able to make it home. :(

After seeing this setup, I then spotted an alternative setup on an FJR which will be much more freindly in a similar situation. The highway pegs were mounted to the ends of the R&G crash protectors, and even though they are a little higher mounted through the fairing, it would eliminate the possibility of secondary engine damage as a result of a get off. After talking to the owner of the bike, it was the same reason he had mounted his highway pegs in this position.

I have neither, but if I had the choice I would go with the R&G-highway peg setup. Just my $.02 ;)

Shit, I just put my feet on the R&G sliders for a few minutes if I want to stretch out. They are a little slippery, and I make sure not to put them too close to the fairing, but, WTF? if works for a short stint.

-BD

Hey Skyway,

do you know any details on how he mounted pegs to the R&G's. Well, talking outloud here and I don't have the R&G's (yet) but I guess if the bolt screws into an existing hole on the bike you would just flip up the peg and put the bolt through the peg and then into the R&G. Does that sound logical? Also did he have additional spacer inside of the R&G so the peg set outside of it so it could still flip up?

I guess I will have to look at the height of where the R&G's mount and at a park see if my feet in that position would be comfortable but would save $50 on the mounting plates...

Good idea thanks... :D

I have seen the results of a high side at 30mph with the footpegs installed as mentioned above, also with the Moko's installed. Since they are each bolted to one of the engine cases, the result was an oil leak at the point of attachment on one side. Which could leave you stranded and not be able to make it home.
It's worth noting that a highside at 30 mph is an unpredictable incident as far as crash damage goes. In a highside the bike often tumbles, and there are a number of things that could break or get damaged, rendering the bike unridable. Things like handlebars, brake and clutch reservoirs, radiator, forks, just to name a few.

So while it's possible that such an incident could result in an oil leak because the Riley pegs damaged the cover seal, it's not fair to say that a sample of one incident means it WILL happen, or that an oil leak is any more liklely with or without the Riley pegs.

As unpredictable as crash damage is, I can't see why one should deny themselves the pleasure of highway pegs because they're worried about what might happen if they crash. Even if it could be proven that the Riley pegs wreck the cover seal in every single crash, I still wouldn't rule out buying them, since crashing is a relatively rare incident (one would hope). :eh:

I have the Bill Riley pegs too, and they're OK for me, but not great. Brackets are great quality, but the position doesn't do much for me being tall (6' 4" with a 36 inseam).

I find that moving feet between standard and highway pegs only moves my lower leg and only rotates my knee joint without actually moving it's position.. I think half of the relief of changing position is in the knee and hip moving....or at least for taller people.

Don't get me wrong. I'm still happy with them, but they didn't help quite as much as I hoped for. I move my feet to the highway pegs for maybe a minute or so at a time--just for a little position relief. My calves also rub on the lower fairing.

200 miles and I'm ready to stop.....oh wait, that's also when I'm out of gas. Do that 6 or 7 times and I'm tired.....oh wait, that's when the BBG is over 24 hours later. :dribble:

Is there a picture of the Bill Riley footpegs installed on the FJR? Where do you get them? Is it necessary to drill for installation? :unsure:

Is there a picture of the Bill Riley footpegs installed on the FJR? Where do you get them? Is it necessary to drill for installation?

This should do it.

lowerleft_271.jpg

clutchcover_276.jpg

I paypal them one day and they shipped priorty mail the next. ;)

Very happy indeed. :cownoy:

Is it necessary to drill for installation?
No drilling required. Someone on another thread recommended using longer bolts and a spacer to move the pegs themselves a little further out. I did this, and it helped position them better for me. I'm 6-2, and find that moving my feet to the Riley's is not so much of a leg relief thing as it is an ass relief thing, since it changes how your weight is applied to the seat. Also a heat relief thing, since your legs are out in the wind and scoop some air toward you - nice when it's hot.

I've also heard that people mount different pegs on the Riley mounts with good results - a little post-farkle farkeling. I haven't tried this yet, but I might.