Hit and Run

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And if the guy was an ilegal alian you will be SOL. You will never collect a dime. Sorry to bring the bad news but I hope I am wrong. I know in our state they get a free pass even if they don't have a valid drivers license they still drive away. No kiddng, really. Ask my sister in law. Welcome to the commonwealth.

The good news is your O.K. and walked away.

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
And if the guy was an ilegal alian you will be SOL. You will never collect a dime. Sorry to bring the bad news but I hope I am wrong. I know in our state they get a free pass even if they don't have a valid drivers license they still drive away. No kiddng, really. Ask my sister in law. Welcome to the commonwealth. The good news is your O.K. and walked away.Dave
A.droid,

Most states have some type of Uninsured Motorist Fund that can pay off, when the bad driver skips out somehow. If all else fails, your claims can go to the UMF. It probably won't be fast that way, or extremely generous, but any pay-off is better than none.

Cheers,

Infrared

Sorry to hear about the situation. I wouldn't get my hopes up on the criminal side. A close friend had a road rage incident where the car drive got in front and purposely slammed on the brakes lead to a terrible get off and severe injuries. Lots of witnesses and even some who chased the car down and blocked it in until the police arrived.

It took a year and a half of continually pushing prosecutors to file and follow through. In the end the guy spent some weekends in jail but was able to go to ork and assessed a fine of about $10,000. Unfortunately, the legal system just treats these cases as so much paper work. My friend was hesitant to sue because she was advised it might mess up the criminal end and she felt this guy needed to be kept off the road. Good luck with your case.

Sorry to hear about the situation. I wouldn't get my hopes up on the criminal side. A close friend had a road rage incident where the car drive got in front and purposely slammed on the brakes lead to a terrible get off and severe injuries. Lots of witnesses and even some who chased the car down and blocked it in until the police arrived.

It took a year and a half of continually pushing prosecutors to file and follow through. In the end the guy spent some weekends in jail but was able to go to ork and assessed a fine of about $10,000. Unfortunately, the legal system just treats these cases as so much paper work. My friend was hesitant to sue because she was advised it might mess up the criminal end and she felt this guy needed to be kept off the road. Good luck with your case.

Finally getting an adjuster out to look at it on Monday 11/11/13. Lets see if they total the Bike. STILL no word about the other driver. All I've heard is that the insurance has interviewed the other witnesses.

Happy to see you stopped in time, good luck in a system that protects criminals more than the victims. I think the only true way to get justice these days is "Clint Eastwood" style

Almost 2 months later insurance is not interested in repairs only buy out of the bike. The driver is essentially free to flee. Clint Eastwood revenge is not my style and my insurance is on the hook per terms in my policy. What a world of scum bags.

Almost 2 months later insurance is not interested in repairs only buy out of the bike. The driver is essentially free to flee. Clint Eastwood revenge is not my style and my insurance is on the hook per terms in my policy. What a world of scum bags.
Sorry to hear this but............ can you buy the bike back from the insurance company and get it roadworthy yourself? At least that way you should be able to come out on top.

I hope you filed a police report. It's illegal to hit and run and this scumbag should spend some time in jail.

JMO

Had the same thing happen with identity theft. They caught the people involved in using their friend's employment as a phone store to bilk fake purchases. Prosecutors only pursued the theft charges and not the identify theft (which would carry a higher penalty). I suspect it's simply easier to prosecute because they do it all the time and the identity theft process would mean they dust off their prosecutorial brains.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do plan on buying it back. SCORE! Which also brings me back to original question.. WHY won't it restart? Does the tip over sensor need to be reset?
help.gif

Police report filed on day #1(LEO will "look into it" eventually). It appears that the driver isn't the registered owner as far as I'm hearing.

Honestly, with not being flesh wound injured and my insurance covering everything else, I have other things to move onto. If the law does their job justice will be served. I know this "attitude" P.O's some people (my wife especially) but I've done my due diligence and will not allow the fool to not take up anymore of my energy.

Btw, here's the front rim.
IMG_20131222_225114_zpso5m47yrr.jpg
IMG_20131222_225253_zpsqm6kuc1g.jpg

I do plan on buying it back. SCORE! Which also brings me back to original question.. WHY won't it restart? Does the tip over sensor need to be reset?
help.gif
Police report filed on day #1(LEO will "look into it" eventually). It appears that the driver isn't the registered owner as far as I'm hearing.

Honestly, with not being flesh wound injured and my insurance covering everything else, I have other things to move onto. If the law does their job justice will be served. I know this "attitude" P.O's some people (my wife especially) but I've done my due diligence and will not allow the fool to not take up any more of my energy.
That is a fantastic attitude, well done you............. read somewhere once (can't remember where) that holding resentment (or hatred) is like drinking a glass of poison, then sitting down and waiting for the object of your resentment to die...............

I am sure there will be someone intelligent along soon soon to help with your starting problem, but in the meantime a little more info might help....

Does the display and gauges cycle as normal?

Do you hear the fuel pump run?

Does the starter motor turn the engine over?

Any other symptoms you can describe?

The 'flip-over' sensor should reset automatically DAMHIK!

Did the battery case get cracked?

Maybe a wire pinched? Check the main fuse and others?... I am assuming because you said "it wont start" and not "nothing lights up" that you must have power so the main is probably not blown...

Was it left ignition on a long time? maybe the battery charge is low...

Ok .. do not be offended.. I will admit to doing this myself (washing, farkliing, etc... )more than once.... did the Kill switch get bumped and turned off?

Any switch housings on the bars crack ?... musta been a pretty good whack to bend the rim like that...

Glad you are ok !! Glad you could "spit out the poison" and move forward...

Well, final post for me in this thread. Forks are bent (possibly repairable), wheel is beyond repair. In not one for projects right now, already have a full plate. One man's trash is another man's treasure.

BTW, replaced a 3 amp fuse, starts right up. I'll be listing it in the classifieds. Hopefully by summer another FJR will be in the stables. I'll test other makes and models but the one year I've had on this ST has been a great experience.

I think the quote goes something like, "bitterness destroys the vessel that contains it". Congrats on not being that vessel.

When I first got into biking about 8 years ago, I went back and forth on getting uninsured/underinsured for both liability and property damage. This covers you and any passenger (for personal injury damages) and your bike for property damage in any incident where someone else causes the accident and is under insured or more likey uninsured.

I haven't had to use either yet, but it is good peace of mind as both times I have had minor bike damages it was the other guys fault and they had insurance to fix the bikes and there was no personal injury.

I have Progessive Insurance for all 4 of my bikes and have that coverage on all my bikes. The uninsured/underinsured liability can get pricey especially for higher limits, but the uninsured/underinsured property coverage is really cheap. $16/year total for all 4 bikes for $10k property damage coverage and $75/year total for all 4 bikes for $25/50k for the under/uninsured liability coverage.