holeshot or what?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You may want to post this in the Classified Adds-Wanted section.

You never know what might become available.

I was looking to get some feedback, or something to compare too. I had an fz1 with Mivv slip on's. There a little loud for an fjr ,plus not made for one either.

Last edited by a moderator:
Depends what you're looking for in an exhaust system. Search on the site there is a lot of info. I've had two pipes from Dale Walker on my Bandit, and they are a good pipe but have some shortcomings. I now have Leo Vince set on my FJR and I would not go back to Holeshot. I also had a full Muzzy system on my 04, was a nice set but again not up to Leo vince as far as the slip-on's quality. Obviously I'm running stock headers now.

Depends what you're looking for in an exhaust system. Search on the site there is a lot of info. I've had two pipes from Dale Walker on my Bandit, and they are a good pipe but have some shortcomings. I now have Leo Vince set on my FJR and I would not go back to Holeshot.
I am a Holeshot fan but have never run the Leo Vince. What do you consider the Holeshit shortcomings and why would you not go back?

Depends what you're looking for in an exhaust system. Search on the site there is a lot of info. I've had two pipes from Dale Walker on my Bandit, and they are a good pipe but have some shortcomings. I now have Leo Vince set on my FJR and I would not go back to Holeshot.
I am a Holeshot fan but have never run the Leo Vince. What do you consider the Holeshit shortcomings and why would you not go back?
Top of the list: Skooter wants them!

:rolleyes:

:clapping:

:rofl:

First let me say I like Holeshot's pipes. They have a good sound and I liked that Dale offered them in 3 different lengths for my Bandit 1200 so you could pick the volume/look you wanted. I've heard people say they're loud but I haven't ridden an FJR with them so I can't comment. I think they are a better pipe and build than many of the widespread brands you see all over, although I have to say Yoshimura and some others have really caught up over the last 5-8 years...

The shortcomings... only offered in round size which looks ok on an FJR but not ideal IMO. Second, both of my Holeshot's mid-pipes began to pit and show signs of wear/rust. The pipes themselves also aged less than ideally, although I'm sure they could have been restored with a buffer perhaps. Third, the 'silencer' offered by Holeshot is straight up fugly - the screen that fits over the endcaps hole.

My Leo's have the best welding I've seen on any pipe, the centerstand stop is welded and ridiculously over-built which is nice (Muzzy piece bent in about a week). The midpipe is a light bronze color that looks great, has no wear or pitting and seems heavier duty than the Holeshots. The Leo's come with baffles that fit into the pipe's end with absolute precision and basically disappear and are easily removable with a set screw on the bottom. They are built in an oval shape which looks great on the FJR, and the retaining hardware has an integrated rubber surround which is superior to any other one which I have seen. I have the carbon fiber model and the finish is outstanding and can be grabbed with bare hands even fully warmed up. Like the Holeshots, they come bare so you have the option of putting the brand label on them or not, which is nice. I chose not to put the label on them. They also sound awesome - very beastly, I get a lot of compliments.

I'm with Skooter on this, I really like the full Holeshot system. I installed them on my 05 (the pics of the 05 on the Holeshot site are my bike) and I got a full setup right out of the gate when I bought my new 09. One advantage on the 05 was the heat reduction due to the removal of the cats. You also get some weight loss and a nice growl during accel that calms down at constant speed. The power commander cleans up the power ranges for nice smooth throttle response. And you can't beat Dale's outstanding personal support for all of his products.

Holeshot headers are not optimised for the FJR. You will lose some low to mid range torque and gain a little bhp at the top revs. I have set of holeshot headers if you are interested. They do sound nice though.

Andy

I have run Dales stuff on two different bandits and two different FZ-1's. I liked their sound on the Bandits and didn't on the FZ-1's. They were too high pitched when I ran the bike through the RPM's. I did run the high mounts on the FZ's which I think were smaller mufflers. I have also run two brothers, Micron and Yosh and prefer all three of them to Dales High mount. The high mounts do look sweet on the FZ......