Homemade Hydration System

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zom

Reaction score
I’m interested in setting up a homemade hydration system using panniers like some here have done. https://www.fjr-tips.org/acc/hyd/hyd.html I like the option of having a cooler on one side, & whatever else on the other.

My question is: do the panniers scratch up the bike since it’s not rigidly mounted?

Aside from the rigidly mounted jokes, can anyone offer comments? I don’t have the skills or tools to create a base as others have. Just wondering if anyone has real world experience with this set up. I know I might get called names, but I don’t want to scratch the crap out of my bike.

Thanks

I have been looking for an alternative to the camel back and keep losing out whenever a Skyway system shows up in the clasifieds. This looks like a reasonable set up.

you can have a 1gal cooler and assorted parts for under $30. I've run with this for a long time and it's been great. Mine has scratched the plastic where it hits, but you could mitigate that with something if you want. (the towel in the image flew off somewhere)

P1030337.JPG

I typically only use a camelback when I have a passenger.

I have been looking for an alternative to the camel back and keep losing out whenever a Skyway system shows up in the classifieds. This looks like a reasonable set up.
I might be persuaded to part with my Skyway hydration setup if the offer was reasonable, since i don't use it very much, only one season on it, i removed it in the late fall so it's sitting on the shelf...

img_9746.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been looking for an alternative to the camel back and keep losing out whenever a Skyway system shows up in the classifieds. This looks like a reasonable set up.
I might be persuaded to part with my Skyway hydration setup if the offer was reasonable, since i don't use it very much, only one season on it, i removed it in the late fall so it's sitting on the shelf...

img_9746.jpg
Wouldn't want to hit you with a lowball offer.so figure out what your bottom line is and PM me.

I like the strategic, if unintended, placement of the lock over the license plate - perfect for those speed camera areas, with plausible deniability...

The double set of highway pegs looks pretty cool too.

I’m interested in setting up a homemade hydration system using panniers like some here have done. https://www.fjr-tips.org/acc/hyd/hyd.html I like the option of having a cooler on one side, & whatever else on the other.
My question is: do the panniers scratch up the bike since it’s not rigidly mounted?

Aside from the rigidly mounted jokes, can anyone offer comments? I don’t have the skills or tools to create a base as others have. Just wondering if anyone has real world experience with this set up. I know I might get called names, but I don’t want to scratch the crap out of my bike.

Thanks
nope. They are supported by the passenger foot pegs and the pannier bags are fluffy to the inside as they are designed to be draped over a dual-sport fuel tank. I prefer softer bits in the even of a get off to those disks of doom deals that someone was making and selling. But that's just me.

nope. They are supported by the passenger foot pegs and the pannier bags are fluffy to the inside as they are designed to be draped over a dual-sport fuel tank. I prefer softer bits in the even of a get off to those disks of doom deals that someone was making and selling. But that's just me.
Perfect. That's the answer I was hoping for.

Thanks

Here's a side issue, but related enough, I hope. I use a Camelbak knockoff ($20 at Costco--and works just fine) but when I'm riding in the heat, which of course is when I use it, those first few mouthfuls are hot water. Well, even hot water is water, but it's not the best thing you want at those times. So with these hydration systems, I'm assuming the problem must be even worse, having a longer hose. Am I wrong? Is there any way around that hot-water-in-the-hose issue? And yes, the Costco job has a foam insulation around the hose, just like the expensive Camelbak.

Here's a side issue, but related enough, I hope. I use a Camelbak knockoff ($20 at Costco--and works just fine) but when I'm riding in the heat, which of course is when I use it, those first few mouthfuls are hot water. Well, even hot water is water, but it's not the best thing you want at those times. So with these hydration systems, I'm assuming the problem must be even worse, having a longer hose. Am I wrong? Is there any way around that hot-water-in-the-hose issue? And yes, the Costco job has a foam insulation around the hose, just like the expensive Camelbak.
I blow the water back into the bag before sipping. That looks like a lot of work on the hydration systems. I have one but have not used it yet.

Yhea I blow it back after I take a drink. I have the tube with a retractable string attached to my belt loop I got at the dollar store. And attach the C/b on the seat behind me.

Nice as... er, I mean ... mufflers... :D Pray tell, child, which brand be they...?
These mufflers are the the Blueflame EVO3 (Stainless Steel Dual Port Oval). I'm really happy with these pipes, they last, work, sound and look great, and offer 3 settings for the sound level adjustment. These pipes have around 110k miles on them (b/w the two FJRs i've run them on and they work like new, no repacking needed).

Just a head up to those looking at buying the Aerostich Competition Panniers as outlined by "Bounce" in this thread of how he made his Hydration system. Link... https://www.fjr-tips.org/acc/hyd/hyd.html I cannot find the Insulated Rubbermaid 1 Gallon jugs that he shows fitting these Panniers. Seems Rubbermaid no longer makes them. They do make a 1/2 gallon but not the 1 gallon. I have searched the web and every Walmart, Big 5 Sporting goods, Dicks Sporting goods and Bass Pro Shop between Utah and California and cannot find any 1 gallon Insulated jug that will fit these panniers. I'm gonna try and send these back to Aerostich if possible and come up with another solution. I considered the Gerauld rack but wanted the convenience of being able to take them off quick and having the ability to only carry 1 gallon and use the other side bag for something else if wanted. If anyone else has any other solution for a good bag like the Aerostich let me know. In the meantime I'll keep searching..

Photo of the Aerostich Competition Pannier bag

902.jpg

Photo of the 1 Gallon Rubbermaid Insulated cooler that I can't find

water02.jpg

Okay, since we're sharing variations (blow the water before/after drinking) I'll add this.

I made a system similar to the one shown above (sans panniers) but instead of drilling a slightly undersized hole in the *side* of the insulated jug, I just threaded the tubing through the spout on the top.

Works like a charm and leaves the jug intact, without leaks when used in other applications.

YMMV

1. soda doesn't hydrate.

2. When riding tank-to-tank, pulling over in western US summers isn't enough to stay healthy/alive.

3. your sig block shows you knew that.