Honda 1000RR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Burleigh

Reaction score
So on this here Honda 1000RR, which I plan to take out this weekend, I need some advice on proper tire pressure and oil. Regarding oil, do I presume correctly that the black cap seen in the picture is the oil fill cap? When I open it and peer inside with a flashlight, I cannot see oil when the bike is on the kickstand. So I need to know what the oil fill level should be and what type of oil. I have a few quarts of 10-40 and a quart of 20-50 Yamalube lying around.

Thank you, gents (and gentresses).

JB

4301772264_065fb80bef_b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
On my Honda Blackbirds, and I assume the same on the RR, the lower (smaller) black cap** has an attached dip stick to check oil level. Tire pressure I can't tell you for sure, but probably somewhere between 36 and 42 psi. FWIW, I like 40 psi front and rear in Michelin Pilot Powers on the bird with the way it's set up.

** Oops -- checking that pic, that RR doesn't have same set up. On the XX, there is a large black cap like I see in that pic that is the oil filler cap, and lower on the case is a similar but smaller black cap with a dip stick attached. Sorry -- I'm of little help.

Okay, I'll bite.. although it is a bit early in the week for Friday's antics...

Why are you asking about a Honda on the FJR forum?

No offense to anyone's expertise, but I'm sure the Honda forum can provide you more info about that bike...

Quick Google search gave me this:

https://www.1000rr.com/showthread.php?t=5994

which indicates there's a sight glass, which like most bikes with a sight glass to check oil level, requires that the bike be vertical (not leaning on kickstand). It is a 2005 thread, so I don't know what model years it addresses. A 2007 post in it references a small sight glass as well, and I don't imagine that arrangement would be changed on the model, but you'd have to look carefully at the bike you have in the garage to know for sure. FWIW, my XXs have been '97 (long gone) and '03 (last model year), and it IS a different engine in size, weight, displacement and design.

No offense to anyone's expertise, but I'm sure the Honda forum can provide you more info about that bike...
Maybe thats why its in the Other Bike section. :rolleyes:

It could be that he IS and FJR owner and has, albeit temporarily, access to the 1000RR (since it's being stored in his garage for a month).

At least he's concerned enough to actually check the oil level and tire pressure.

J.B., you might make a phone call to the nearest Honda dealer (or stop by on the way home). They "should" know. :dntknw:

It could be that he IS and FJR owner and has, albeit temporarily, access to the 1000RR (since it's being stored in his garage for a month).

At least he's concerned enough to actually check the oil level and tire pressure.

J.B., you might make a phone call to the nearest Honda dealer (or stop by on the way home). They "should" know. :dntknw:
Aw, give the kid a break. We were all young and stupid on the forum at 28 posts too. :p

Thanks for the tips, Rich. I found the site glass. And I also found the Honda forum where it corroborated your tire pressures. I'll check the oil with the bike up straight, but at least leaning over I can see the glass is covered in oil.

Is it only Tuesday???

Careful JB, you'll put your eye our with that thing.

It is Quick to respond to rider input, very Quick.

I've only got about a half day seat time on the 1000RR, and it was a hoot.

Yeah, it's a sight glass (isn't the FJR the same?) and as for tires, you won't need nearly the pressures you run on the FJR as the bike is lighter by a hefty passenger or more. With really high performance tires most will run 28-30 cold, with those sport touring tires I'd probably go to 34-35.

That bike is change-your-perspective-of-the-universe fast. I tried following a good rider on one (I on my old FZR600) across the Cherohala. It's amazing how hard I was working and how easily he gapped me any time he was on the throttle.

It's amazing how hard I was working and how easily he gapped me any time he was on the throttle.
Yeah...BE CAREFUL, Hans!

That thing is more likely to sink your eyeballs into their sockets than put one of the "out".

Uhmmmmm...don't blink while under acceleration, you may put someone else's eye out.

Yeah...BE CAREFUL, Hans!That thing is more likely to sink your eyeballs into their sockets than put one of the "out".

Uhmmmmm...don't blink while under acceleration, you may put someone else's eye out.
Thanks, all, and Mike. I'm feeling like I'm ready to step up to this bike as a natural next step in my motorcycle journey.

I started out in 2003 with the Harley Sportster, my first bike, which went from an 883 to a 1200 with a conversion kit. I put 47K miles on that baby, mostly commuting, before getting the FJR in spring 2006. That was a huge change in performance as you know. But now I've had 70,000 miles of experience on that platform. So it seems like I should be ready to explore (safely, intelligently, cautiously) a pure sport bike. But I will gladly take the "be careful" advice.

JB

I'm thinking the first few rides will be similar to those of my old neighbor (who had a CBR1000RR) - and could not catch me off the line for the first two months. We'd take off, I'd pull ahead until his RPMs wound up a bit, then he'd be looking at the sky, have to back off a bit to set his tire down, watch me pull a little further ahead, shift, look at the sky... Similar scenario in the twisties - Between the much harder (quicker? relatively stronger?) engine braking and phenomenal acceleration, he had a heck of a time setting his corner entry speed s and tended to overcook the exits too...

Be careful Hans. Sucker will bite and it's larger performance envelope is only accessible after LOTS of practice.

For maximum forward progress when the front is pawing at the sky, be sure to 'slip the clutch' for maximum drive and gentle front touchdown.

You should be good at this, Hans! :rofl:

For maximum forward progress when the front is pawing at the sky, be sure to 'slip the clutch' for maximum drive and gentle front touchdown.You should be good at this, Hans! :rofl:
You're killin' me, Don. Killing me!

Hey, I just got a new clutch on my FJR. Should be good for another 70K. :D

I started out in 2003 with the Harley Sportster, my first bike, which went from an 883 to a 1200 with a conversion kit. I put 47K miles on that baby, mostly commuting, before getting the FJR in spring 2006. That was a huge change in performance as you know. But now I've had 70,000 miles of experience on that platform. So it seems like I should be ready to explore (safely, intelligently, cautiously) a pure sport bike. But I will gladly take the "be careful" advice.
JB
Okay, so it won't be as much of a jump as Sportster to the FJR, but I'll bet it'll still surprise you with how long it'll push the bike in any gear. And what that number on the speedo says when you regain focus in your eyes. :)