Honda Africa Twin - oh my

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Two thoughts, Don:

1. The 1190R is the same weight but with 50 more hp. If I can manage to mount and ride it, so can you. Get a pair of high heels.

2. Remember SportsGuy? The one with the mint condition, nicely farkled KTM 690R Enduro that just barely turned 7 or 8k miles? The one with the custom Renazco seat? The one you were in line behind Barabus to have dibs on? Well guess who is moving to Cali and thinning his herd of one KTM? Yep. Saw him last night. If Barabus wimps out, I think you are next in the cue.

Geezer. You are enabling me. Please stop it.
punk.gif
Honda has a habit of offering new machines at a low price point, then raising the price over the next couple of years, so there's no time like the present to snap one of these up.
coolsmiley02.gif
No time like two years from now to snap one up for cheap that someone bought with dreams of Alaska but only ended up riding back and forth to work a few times before parking it in the garage.
biggrin.png

Geezer. You are enabling me. Please stop it.
punk.gif
Honda has a habit of offering new machines at a low price point, then raising the price over the next couple of years, so there's no time like the present to snap one of these up.
coolsmiley02.gif
No time like two years from now to snap one up for cheap that someone bought with dreams of Alaska but only ended up riding back and forth to work a few times before parking it in the garage.
biggrin.png
Hey, that's my bike your talking about (in 2 years) ... Just like my 2008 FJR bought in 2013 with 2000 miles on if for half price ...

I love the used motorcycle market ...

The scary thing is that one of my good friends just bought a (4 year old) used HD heritage for $16,000 and he was dancing around he was so happy ... My "used" FJR cost me $8000 ... and I spank his ass weekly
punk.gif

I LOVE the guys that plan to go to Alaska ... If it weren't for them, I wouldn't be able to afford to go to Alaska !!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Two thoughts, Don:
1. The 1190R is the same weight but with 50 more hp. If I can manage to mount and ride it, so can you. Get a pair of high heels.

2. Remember SportsGuy? The one with the mint condition, nicely farkled KTM 690R Enduro that just barely turned 7 or 8k miles? The one with the custom Renazco seat? The one you were in line behind Barabus to have dibs on? Well guess who is moving to Cali and thinning his herd of one KTM? Yep. Saw him last night. If Barabus wimps out, I think you are next in the cue.
Let me offer a third thought, see #2 above.
punk.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
The Africa Twin is absolutely NOT a competitor to the KTM 690R. The Twin is an adventure bike that looks to be better on dirt roads than other adventure bikes. The 690R is a trail bike that can be ridden on the road. It depends on what you want to use it for. I think the right answer to to get both.

Two thoughts, Don:

Dang, I had forgot all about that! Barbabus doesn't need that bike, now then, does he?

The sales guy reply to my comment of too much technology to go bad, after mentioning the number of Yamaha AE failures..

"The difference is, Honda builds cars too, and know how to make a clutchless motorcycle bullet proof."

UhHuh, Sales Guy, Right,

The sales guy reply to my comment of too much technology to go bad, after mentioning the number of Yamaha AE failures..
"The difference is, Honda builds cars too, and know how to make a clutchless motorcycle bullet proof."

UhHuh, Sales Guy, Right,
Salesmen are like the internet......you can believe him.
rolleyes.gif

UhHuh, Sales Guy, Right,
I don't know...Maybe that wasn't the right answer, but it was a good answer. I say he gets points for creativity!

Well in his defense, I do not recall hearing about any issues with the DCT on the VFR 1200. I think Honda uses it on a couple of their... futuristic, cruiser, goofy, almost like a motorcycle but not really, thingies. And Honda is (or was) using a "seamless gearbox" on their MotoGP bikes and they seem to work pretty well.

I have no desire for a bike without a clutch but I want one of these Africa Twins. Really want one. I do not have the resources to add one right now, but I want one.

I've got two bikes, maybe 4 on my radar. I'm very seriously considering selling all my bikes. Let me explain, Line and I are moving in the spring and the new place doesn't have a garage and no access to add one. All my shit will have to fit into a 10x10 shed.

I've grown extremely tired of the FJR's weight, selling it will likely be a mistake given all that it does well, hence, the consideration.

I'm looking at an FJ09, the FJ07 (if they actually bring it to market) or Honda's Africa Twin or, CB500X. Which ever bike gets the nod, it'll need some mods for panniers and seating. Or another forum members kitted out Wee.

Their'll be a significant cost savings in that I can ditch 2 insurance policies, and will likely eliminate a bike payment.

Decisions.. decisions...

Where's that 800 cc adventurish rig we all want that's not too heavy? The DCT is pretty nice...... better than the AE. Decisoins.... I feel Bungie's angst.