Hostage of Photobucket

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
<<<<<<<

You have to create a 'Shared' album on Google Photos. When you populate that 'Shared' album with a picture or pictures, you can then right-click on the picture -> Copy Image address -> Click the Image Icon in this forum -> Paste the image address and then append "-tmp.jpg" to the end of the address.

Voila your Google photo will appear on the forums and will stay.

>>>>>>>>

Last edited by a moderator:
Good to hear the whining is subsiding. Life changes. Move on.

JSNS and
fuck.gif

Hugs n' Kisses

Got my email from PB on 7/13, haven't changed a thing there,and I can still see images in a couple of my past posts...is it just because it's my content, or can anyone else see them? Or has PB just not got around to suspending my privileges yet? Or am I just special?

Two examples:

Krista install thread

YFO ride report

Got my email from PB on 7/13, haven't changed a thing there,and I can still see images in a couple of my past posts...is it just because it's my content, or can anyone else see them? Or has PB just not got around to suspending my privileges yet? Or am I just special?
Two examples:

Krista install thread

YFO ride report
I can still see them so they just may not have gotten around to you yet... duck!! ;)

Try vgy.me.

Flickr may have a short shelf life, owned by Yahoo, which has been purchased by Verizon.

Vgy is certainly easy to use. Even I can do it.

Easy to use compared to what? If someone just now walked out of the woods having basic 1999 level computer experience and needed to have specific instructions of how to use the service, would that help be available or will he just sink into frustration yet again? I'm talking about a guy who can't figure out how to hang up after a phone call; the kind of guy who can't figure out how to program a VHS machine and hasn't bothered to buy a dvd player b/c it's too complicated. That kind of guy. Would vgy.me work for him?

Everything hi tech is such a train wreck.. they think they're making things so the average person can understand it, but it never works out that way.

I looked at PB and Smugmug after ImageShack starting cutting my capacity and wanting to charge me. I moved everything over to google long ago, but the image hosting from those pics is so hit and miss... frequently when I tell it I want to share a picture, it gives me a shareable URL that leads to a PAGE with that picture on it, but it is not the URL for that picture. No amount of right-clicking on the image will produce a URL that ends in JPG.

Then once in awhile, I can click SHARE and get a JPG URL out of it and everything is peachy for a minute. What a pain.

Easy to use compared to what? If someone just now walked out of the woods having basic 1999 level computer experience and needed to have specific instructions of how to use the service, would that help be available or will he just sink into frustration yet again? I'm talking about a guy who can't figure out how to hang up after a phone call; the kind of guy who can't figure out how to program a VHS machine and hasn't bothered to buy a dvd player b/c it's too complicated. That kind of guy. Would vgy.me work for him?
Yes, if you can post to this forum, and I see that you have been able to ad sig thingys and a profile photo, you should be able to use vgy.

Yes, if you can post to this forum, and I see that you have been able to ad sig thingys and a profile photo, you should be able to use vgy.
Wait a darn minute! Who said it was me? I was asking for "a friend"!
rolleyes.gif

Actually I signed up at vgy.me. I created an album. Yeah, great. I cannot figure out how to download a pic into that album. And know what I figured out already? They have no instructions and there is no help. Zip, zilch, nada. None. What part of "basic 1999 level computer experience" in the quote above do you not understand?

I guess I just got spoiled with PhotoBucket: create and name an album; click on that album; drag and drop pics; done. As simple and as basic as can be.

[rant] This is the biggest problem with tech people- they "know it" so everyone else is supposed to "know it". Well I don't, I don't get it. It would be nice if the frikkin geeks could understand that once in a while! [/rant]

If you don't know it then you pay for it.

So in your case maybe shell out the $500 bucks that Photobucket wants and quit your bitching. 😆

in another thread on this forum: sorry if a repeat but said to work in Chrome.

"The issue where photobucket has "blocked" access to photos posted on third-party websites unless you pay $400/year may be resolved through the use of an extension. It's called "Photobucket Hotlink Fix."

I also just leaned that ~original placed after the .jpg at the end of the link will make the photo be shown.

So, if the link was s52.photobucket/username/MyPic.jpg, you can change that to s52.photobucket/username/MyPic.jpg~original and everyone will be able to see the image.

Just one added data point here: I just received a renewal notice email from Photobucket. They are still going to only charge me just $24.99 for a year of "Plus 20" subscription, same as in past years. I am no longer uploading any new photos there, and have been using either Tapatalk (for other forums) or postimg.org for this one, but it's nice to know that my PB hosted photos will be around for at least one more year.

Just one added data point here: I just received a renewal notice email from Photobucket. They are still going to only charge me just $24.99 for a year of "Plus 20" subscription, same as in past years. I am no longer uploading any new photos there, and have been using either Tapatalk (for other forums) or postimg.org for this one, but it's nice to know that my PB hosted photos will be around for at least one more year.
I am guessing Fred they are seeing the error of their ways. I am sure a lot of folks bailed on them.

24.99 is better than nothing.It may be the new thinking at PB.

Dave

Fred, thank you for suggesting postim.org. This seems to work well for the tests I was uploading this morning.

An update on Photobucket's handling of "legacy subscribers": As I had mentioned earlier, I've been a subscriber of Photobucket's "Plus 20" subscription plan for many years. It cost me $25 a year and I provided 20Gb of photo storage above the "Free" plan, and also made the web site ad free for me.

When they made the announcement of changes to their terms of service (which prompted this thread) they had continued to allow the legacy subscribers' like myself to continue to link photos to 3rd party web sites. It appears that is now ending. I received the below via email this past week.

This message is to inform you that we discontinued the Plus 20 plan in January of 2015. We have grandfathered your expired plan for several months as a convenience.

In order to keep your account current and all of your content available, we are asking that you migrate over to one of our current Plus plan offerings: Plans

Failure to do so within 30 days will result in your billing to be suspended, and your account will be reverted to a free account.

If you have any questions about your account or which of our current offerings is right for you, please don’t hesitate to reach out.

Thanks,

Sebastian,
your personal account manager
Interesting that they just renewed my Plus 20 account last month (and collect $25). I wonder if they will also credit me back for 10 months of discontinued service?

In any case, I will leave my photos there as it is too much effort to go in and delete them all, but I suspect that after Nov 1st none of my old photos will display in the threads on this (or other) forum anymore.

This differs from what they were saying previously. What I understood was that legacy subscribers would be allowed to grandfather in for 3rd party hosting (with paid up memberships at the previous rates) through December 2018. That is still posted on their website here:

https://support.photobucket.com/hc/en-us/articles/115010128088-What-users-are-affected-by-the-changes-to-our-3rd-Party-Hosting-policies-

Regardless, my year renews next week. I've given notice that they may not renew my membership, and as such, next week, all of my ride reports will vaporize. In my email, I made it clear the reason for my departure. Other than acknowledgment of my separation, I got no additional reply.

I've bought a Smug Mug subscription and used it for my latest ride report on 2017 SFO. The interface is very good and server speed seems to be much better than P/B. Of course, I'm risking falling victim and becoming a "hostage of Smug Mug". We'll see what happens.

It will take a "rainy month" for me to rebuild my ride reports with Smug Mug direct links. I'm not so sure I'm up for that, but I may redo a few.

Last edited by a moderator:
In any case, I will leave my photos there as it is too much effort to go in and delete them all, but I suspect that after Nov 1st none of my old photos will display in the threads on this (or other) forum anymore.
Fred, the photos will still display just fine if the user is using Chrome (or Firefox) browser with the appropriate Photobucket "fix" extension. It has worked for me for several months.