How do you decide who gets to ride your bike?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Burleigh

Reaction score
When you decide to sell one of the bikes in your garage, how do you decide who to allow to test drive the bike? I imagine the biggest issue is not its getting stolen, but damaged.

When you decide to sell one of the bikes in your garage, how do you decide who to allow to test drive the bike? I imagine the biggest issue is not its getting stolen, but damaged.
They put the full asking price in my hand, in cash ... Then, if they bend it, they bought it.

Friends may get more leniency, but friends would at least pay for any repairs needed.

I've always had to buy the bike first, including all paperwork, but most of the bikes I bought did not run. I did test drove a salvage FJ1200 and almost wrecked when it threw the chain, but they gave me my money back.

I had one bike disappear for over 4 hours. I was just so happy the guy brought it back that I did not even complain when he did not buy it.

Another one went down the driveway into the parked car across the street. The prospective buyer got up and jumped in his car and that was it. I settled with the neighbor, way easier than dealing with cops and insurance.

Use common sense to see if they're a serious buyer. I rode to a guy's house once on my bandit 1200 and he just let me take off on his GSXR1000. I sold my bandit to a guy that drove almost an hour to look at it--he owned another much smaller bike and I was nervous as hell but let him take it. He came back and handed me the money.

If you have the bike insured, and the potential buyer is a licensed, motorcycle endorsed, rider, your coverage will be in effect.

You can easily tell the joy riders from the serous buyers. I've sold a bunch of motorcycles over the years and never denied a serious buyer from riding it around the neighborhood. Of course I always asked to see their license, which gives me some small assurance that they are who they say, and that they will not just ride off into the sunsett leaving their (stolen?) car here at my house. I really think that shit happens more in the movies than real life.

I would probably not buy a bike if I couldn't at least ride it up and down the street a bit. I've walked out of dealerships that refused test rides. There are other bikes and other sellers out there.

FWIW, Yamaha will let you ride a nearly brand new bike with just a photo ID and a few signatures. What is that compared to your old used up bike?

PS - Sounds like maybe Mr Burleigh is thinking of finally hanging up the helmet and going for a 2 seat roadster? Let me tell you... there ain't no shame in that.

No cash, no ride. Period. Saw a guy total my for sale bike 12 minutes after he took off on the test ride. I grinned, pocketed the cash, helped him load the bike into the back of the truck using the bucket of my tractor....

I never much worried about who road my bikes. They were insured and just objects.

Now if they wanted to ride my wife? I'd have to demand at least 85% of her yearly income.
That way I'd be ok for a few months after she was gone.

You need to move to a kinder gentler part of the country.

(we share wives around here)

bleh.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had "friends" walk away from things they broke. They weren't friends after that.

Cash in hand. Full price. Up Front. Receipt showing that they bought it with the right to return it within 30 minutes for a full refund if done without any damage. They have an "out" as do you.

FWIW, Yamaha will let you ride a nearly brand new bike with just a photo ID and a few signatures. What is that compared to your old used up bike?
Banks will loan strangers money too. These are businesses. I am not. I don't have their resources to replace damaged equipment (or unpaid loans).

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts