How far do you think an FJR could go in one hour?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My guess is that you can't go an hour on 6.6 gallons at 150. I did 108 miles in 48 minutes and it took 6.2 gallons to top off the tank.

My guess is that you can't go an hour on 6.6 gallons at 150. I did 108 miles in 48 minutes and it took 6.2 gallons to top off the tank.
That's pretty good, and pretty close. You averaged 135 mph. I think if you cut the speed to about 130 you would go the whole hour in 6.6 gallons without stopping.

But I'm not sure that you would cover more ground than running at a higher speed and stopping once for gas. If you ran at 150 for 55 minutes (allowing 5 minutes for a gas stop) you'd still cover 137.5 miles.

Unless you were on a conveyor belt... :rolleyes:

I'm sure someone could come up with the link for the story (I think it was in cycle world) of the guy that ran the cannonball run type race in Italy I think (my memory sucks). He was on a Kawi 1400 when they first came out. I think he was running ~150 the entire time mostly outrunning cops and was fueling about every 30-40 minutes. He even dropped it once on a corner but still finished.

Unless you were on a conveyor belt... :rolleyes:
I still don't agree with that episode on "mythbusters" (the plane boss, the plane). If the converyor belt continued to accelerate to negate forward motion of the plane. Clearly, it would never be able to "take off". The only thing their conveyor belt did was extend the "theoretical" distance (if you measured the amount of belt that passed the wheels) required to achieve "lift off".

Ahhhh, but could the FJR still "wheelie... wearing a rabbit suit"." on a moving conveyor belt?? :blink: :blink:

EDIT: I forgot to add the rabbit suit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Remember: 186,000 miles per second; it's not just a good idea, it's the law.

ROTFLMAO- I need a tee shirt that says that.
45_1.JPG

<Link>

The general rule of thumb (a rule that works 'thumb' of the time) is that a normal 4 stroke engine will consume one tenth of the average hp it puts our per an hour in gallons of gas. So an hour at 100hp would burn ten gallons. Now our bikes are pretty sophisticated and efficient so maybe we get an extra 10% (yes just a guess but EFI, light moving engine parts, it seems conservative and reasonable). So my guess is that we burn .09 gallons of gas per hp hour. So we can use an average of 73 hp for one hour before draining 6.6 gallons.

By this estimate thegunslinger would have used 7.75 gallons if he had gone for an hour, using an extimate average of 86 hp while going at an average speed of 135 miles per hour. I list this only as a sanity check.

So, how fast can we go with 73 hp?

My FJR gets 40mpg at 85 on the slab, so 2.125 gallons per hour for a calculated 23.6 average hp.

I know from experience that driving slower than this makes almost no difference in my fuel useage using the same seasons gas, but going faster does, so I'm going to take 85 mph as a reference point for my vehicle. My 85mph - hour took 2.125 gallons so I can use 3.1 times more energy and get an hour on 6.6 gals.

The amount of energy required with speed is proportional to the square of the speed for wind resistance. Other mechanical losses should be just slightly higher than proportional to speed itself.

Taking a guess that we are going to end up about 125mph from thegunslingers info, my guess is that we will use an additional 75% of the energy in normal frictional issues for the additional 40 mph of speed.

The square of 85 is 7225, so we can use about 2.25 times that for 16256 and the square root of that is - 127.5 mph.

MY guess is that my FJR can go 130 miles in one hour on 6.6 gallons of gas under the conditions for this exercise, windscreen down with a crouch.

Last edited by a moderator:
Remember: 186,000 miles per second; it's not just a good idea, it's the law.

ROTFLMAO- I need a tee shirt that says that.
45_1.JPG

<Link>

I first heard this saying as a take-off on the U.S. Government's propaganda for the old "conservation" 55 mph national speed limit. That slogan was: "55 mph: it's not just a good idea..."

Well, we made a mockery of that back in the day here in Montana where prior to the national limit, ours was "reasonable and prudent." Here, in response to the federal mandate we enacted a $5 fine for "wasting natural resources" if you got tagged for over 55. At first the HP would actually write these things so when traveling cross-state, everyone would chip in $5 and away you'd go as usual, paying the "tax" periodically. Later, the HP quit bothering, but they would write you for a violation of the original "reasonable and prudent" usually for over 90; depending. I know of a corvette driver who convinced a cop 105 mph was "reasonable and prudent" and I'd have to agree when it's done by a competent driver in a capable vehicle out on I-94 east of Billings where there is no traffic and you have good, straight four-lane with miles of forward vision.

No auxiliary fuel, stock trim, bags in place. I think it would run out of gas before an hour if flat out, so at what speed would it run for an hour? Or would it go farther by running dry shy of an hour, say at 150, or by running at the exact speed which would allow it to run for an hour (130?)?
Thinking it's never been tested, so hypothesize away....
Best I ever did was 90 miles with the bike on a trailer.

Latest posts