How is the FJR around town?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, fellas, another segue.

I found an FJR--tell me what you think about the deal. As far as my research goes, this seems like a very good buy . . . as experts, I'd like you to weigh in.

2009 Raven Black, Clutch model (not the AE), Cal-Sci windscreen, top box w LED, bar risers and a few other odds and ends. 2700 miles. We've agreed on $9K.

After five years, the Feej feels pretty natural to me. Only thing I have trouble with is U-turns. My cure for those, besides #1 practice, is planning ahead so as not to turn the steering head to the limit. Being of short stature, I find it really tricky to tippy-toe back out uphill if I get caught short. Watch out for those cast iron drain covers in the rain and for gravel in the streets. WBill

At wellll over 600 lbs, The FJR is no anorexic, nimble little ballerina,

but for me,

the FJR, WITH A LOWCENTER OF GRAVITY AND ALMOST "NEUTRAL" HANDLING, balances beautifully at low speeds, and I find that it does dance pretty well around the city.

However,

I just got back from a 1500 mile ride, and those types of hi mileage/multi day rides are where the FJR SHINES!!!

By comnparison, my previous last few rides were -

Suzuki DL 650;

FANTASTIC FOR ZIPPING AROUND TOWN,

GREAT on back roads,

but SUCKED BIG TIME on any trip over four hours on the hiway.

Suzuki Bandit 1200;

good around town,

great for a day ride or a weekend on the hiway,

but SUCKED ON GRAVEL AND DIRT ROADS.

BMW 1150 GS;

TALLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And even though the BMW GS supposedly weighs less than an FJR,

the BMW FELT HEAVIER, and seemed to me to be SLOWER HANDLING THAN THE FJR IN TOWN.

PS: BMW has special classes for 1150 and 1200 GS owners, demonstrating the correct BMW approved way to pick up a GS when it tips over on you. You WILL need this class. I personally picked up my [ TWP ] 1150 Gs bikes about a dozen times. These taLL [ DID I MENTION THEY WERE TALL?] BMWs SEEM TO LIKE TO ROLL OVER AND REST ON THEIR SIDES EVERY ONCE AND A WHILE.

LAZ 1

[;{)

Last edited by a moderator:
Not a lot of fun in stop and go traffic, agreed, especially when it's already hot out. For slow speed the FJR is a dream. Learn to use the friction zone and drag the rear brake, keep the throttle steady and use the clutch friction to adjust your speed and to stand back up after turning. Definitely practice without the side cases!

I think that '09 sounds sweet, and if you got it already, CONGRATULATIONS! I had a KLR that I rode so little that I sold it just to cut off the payments because I preferred the FJR so much for EVERY kind of riding I do. Short trips, long trips, fast trips, slow trips--oops, never mind. There aren't any slow trips.

If you REALLY want to appreciate the acceleration and quick responsiveness the FJR offers, come out to California. We'll introduce you to lane splitting. :)

No problem. The FJR is my around town bike. GL1800 Goldwing for the really long hauls.

As some others have said, I agree it's very well balanced for the slow speed maneuvering stuff.

OK, fellas, another segue.

I found an FJR--tell me what you think about the deal. As far as my research goes, this seems like a very good buy . . . as experts, I'd like you to weigh in.

2009 Raven Black, Clutch model (not the AE), Cal-Sci windscreen, top box w LED, bar risers and a few other odds and ends. 2700 miles. We've agreed on $9K.

Screaming deal! Buy it!

Agreed that is a good price for an 09, with farkles. I'm also a regular commuter on the FJR, and once you get a feel for her, she's a nimble beast.

Thought about this post today (having read it last night) as I was running errands today. Picked up cat litter, check. Visited secretary of state to pay annual vehicles' extortion fee<g>, check. Coffee with a friend, check...

Nice mix of in-town, way too much stop and go, as well as some 50mph as a breather:).

The FJR is a really nicely balanced machine. Compared to the older Concours, or the new BMW K1600, the perceived mass (e.g. console and cowlings) are very low. One of the few machines I've had where, from a standing start, I can just lift a leg and roll off without any counter-steering corrections typically. For in-town, around town, I've simply not had any reason to be other than very satisfied.

Would a 250 be easier in in-town congestion, no question. But like noted prior, there are always trade offs.

The only place I'd be concerned about a FJR, in town, would be in California (LA or SFO), where lane splitting might be commonly conducted. The bags are further out than my ST100. Whether a personal perception issue, or actual, her big butt would concern me in that sort of situation.

Short of taking her to live in San Francisco<g>, I'd not be unduly concerned about in-town, in-traffic application of the machine.

Cheers!