How long does the pain last.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I read about many of you taking these long trips, and mine was only a 100 miles or so. I wonder to myself if I'll ever be able to do a long ride. Any suggestions to ease my pain?
The Master Yoda position isn't going to help your gluteus maximus. That has to do with pressure points on your "hinder parts".

I've not read all the posts in this thread but I can tell a custom saddle is in your future.

The OEM seat on my '04 was good for 150 miles, then the "butt burn" would begin and would last for days. At first I used a piece of fleece to extend my range, others have used beads or "Airhawk" pads.

In the end, I bought a custom seat and now can ride hundreds of miles, day after day after day.

BTW, I loooove my Russell.

M'kay, I read all of the posts. I still think a custom saddle is in your near future.

My last "adventure" was 4580 miles to Banff and the Canadian FJR Rally, then back into the US to visit Glacier NP, Beartooth Pass and Yellowstone. My last day was 960 miles, Jackson WY to Sacramento CA....and my butt could have gone riding the next day.

The proper seat makes THAT much difference.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've tried all I can with the stock saddle, Bead seat, Riding positions, standing up in the saddle occasionally, gold bonds, bicycle shorts, I was able to get to the point where i could do about 100 - 120 miles, but I couldn't walk right afterwards..

I know some say the stock seat is pretty good for stock, but I personally believe it's a midevil torture device.

My seat is currently at Russell, in 2 weeks, my butt will be happy on longer rides.... I can't wait :)

This will probably get me flamed to hell and back for doing something perceptually stupid, but something I do on REALLY long rides...at the 400 to 500 mile point in the ride...I lock down the VistaCruise, slide my ass back to the passenger seat, with my feet on the driver's pegs, and drive "hands free" for a couple of minutes at a time. ONLY on the slab and ONLY in light to no traffic. Really gives my feet, ankles, calf, thigh and butt muscles a break.
I've never seen this mentioned before. Anyone else ever try it?

Oh, +1 on premedication, N-Saids, like Aleve, work better for me than anything else , plus making gas stops last a little longer than just the time to get gas.

Finally, to prevent A.D.D., Adult Diaper Disorder, (the REAL monkeybutt) wash your nether regions when you stop. Don't rely on just toilet paper. 'nuff said.

I'm coming from a cruiser that I could ride all day with out hands had I wanted to. The few times I've taken my hands off the bars on the FJR hasn't felt quite as steady. I'll get used to it though, I'm sure.

Took my first multi hour ride yesterday. I have a road that is well paved and twisties galore. I cross the river and it's a straight shot back home, Throttlemeister style. I know you've all probably heard it before, but my A** is killing me. This is my first non-cruiser type of bike. I have been mainly commuting back and forth to work, which is 20 miles each way. Trying to build up to a longer ride. I had my wife on the back. The riding was fun, but my upper legs and glutes hurt. My wife said her feet hurt sitting in the back. I got the numb hand a few times as well. I have a crampbuster, but still had to shake it out a couple of times. I tried keeping the yoda position as much as I could. I have a pair of highway pegs I haven't put on yet as the riding back and forth to work is pretty comofrtable.
I read about many of you taking these long trips, and mine was only a 100 miles or so. I wonder to myself if I'll ever be able to do a long ride. Any suggestions to ease my pain?
Usually in the spring of the year ,, I start off with a few "around the block" rides ,,, 75, 100 , 150 mile rides... to get my butt into shape...

you don't start jogging by running a 25 mile marathon,,

Butt ,, shoulder ,, legs usually hurt ,,, pop a couple aspirin ,, I don't do ibuprofen ,,saving my liver for beer...

A good MC seat will help ,,, I like Corbin's ,,,but haven't tried Meyer's or Russell's

The stock seat on the FJR is pretty good for a stock seat ,, but it's still a 100 mile Butt Breaker....

Plus getting older doesn't help,,,, I get worn-out just running to the frig. for a beer....

I did look at a Corbin the other day. We also like the little trunk they have that goes on the back of the passenger backrest.

The Master Yoda position isn't going to help your gluteus maximus. That has to do with pressure points on your "hinder parts".

I've not read all the posts in this thread but I can tell a custom saddle is in your future.

The OEM seat on my '04 was good for 150 miles, then the "butt burn" would begin and would last for days. At first I used a piece of fleece to extend my range, others have used beads or "Airhawk" pads.

In the end, I bought a custom seat and now can ride hundreds of miles, day after day after day.

BTW, I loooove my Russell.

M'kay, I read all of the posts. I still think a custom saddle is in your near future.

My last "adventure" was 4580 miles to Banff and the Canadian FJR Rally, then back into the US to visit Glacier NP, Beartooth Pass and Yellowstone. My last day was 960 miles, Jackson WY to Sacramento CA....and my butt could have gone riding the next day.

The proper seat makes THAT much difference.
Makes you wonder why Yamaha just doesn't do it right and make a better seat.

I'm coming from a cruiser that I could ride all day with out hands had I wanted to. The few times I've taken my hands off the bars on the FJR hasn't felt quite as steady. I'll get used to it though, I'm sure.
Pretty typical comparing "stability" between a cruising oriented bike and a sport oriented bike. The front-end rake of the FJR is much steeper than a typical cruiser, metric or domestic, meaning the straight-line stability isn't quite as good, also meaning "hands-off" driving will be a LOT more involved with weight shifting to maintain a straight line.

The upside of the steeper rake on the FJR is its ability to turn a lot faster with much less effort.

Sportbikes, OTOH, have rake angles SO steep, some come stock with steering dampers just to make them rideable on the street.

Give and take...c'est la vie.

Makes you wonder why Yamaha just doesn't do it right and make a better seat.
Easy explanation....'cause there is no "right". The "right" OEM seat for a 5'6" pilot who weighs 150 pounds isn't going to be "right" for the 6'4" 280 pound pilot.

The OEM seat is great for me....up to about 400 miles. Then I'm wishin' I wasn't such a cheap bastard and popped for a Russel Day-Long.

OTOH, my OEM Kawasaki plank was SO bad, my ass would be screaming in 50 miles, but I've got ZRX buddies (much shorter and lighter than me) who can go all day on the stocker.

There just isn't any "right" seat. Sigh....

I did look at a Corbin the other day. We also like the little trunk they have that goes on the back of the passenger backrest.

Yeah, so does Corbin... ($$$$$) <_<
Fred, I do believe palygtar is referring to the "glovebox"at $360, NOT the Smuggler at $800.

corbin.jpg

just to clear a few things up:

Paracetamol and Acetaminophen --> same thing, this compound is marketed under a plethora of brand names throughout the world

Aspirin is around in pure synthetic form since 1897 and is also considered a NSAID

(NSAID's --> Non Steroidal Anti-inflammatory Drug)

The statement that one works through the kidneys and the other screws up your liver is bunk.

How these drugs work is called pharmacology/pharmacokinetics...

This class of drugs is known to cause stomach problems (tiny bleeds)

Dosage needs to be considered too, you can't just pop these things at will and it's good to be aware of possible drug interactions...

So I think prudence is the magic word when people are throwing out the nilly willy advice to take x amount of these kind of drugs in a 24hr time frame. The dosage per tablet/caplet fluctuates widely in over the counter and prescription strength.

just my .02

Alfred

I just done a 200 mile run yesturday and I had the same problems with my butt. I also had myhands go numb. I think that I was hanging on pretty hard because of the wind and still being a new driver. Is there anything I should look at doing different in riding or in set up of the bike?

First of all I'm not sure you should be unwinding the spring on your bike. That was something that seemed to become common with the introduction of the Gen-II bikes and your profile says yours is an '05.
Yes-go ahead and unwind the spring on the '05. I did and it makes a difference. I also did it on my '08. It was also common with the Gen Is.

I started this Thread a few months ago with the exact same problem; My FJR is Killing Me
I learned a lot form that thread and have made several changes to my riding habits and I can now do 400 to 500 miles a day with only slight discomfort. These are the changes that helped me the most.

1. Stretch and exercise; work your upper thighs and stretch those thighs around the gas tank and your seat.

2. BMX bike shorts; seriously, the best change I have made.

3. Stop every hour to hour and a half and stretch, hydrate, relax and walk around

4. Yoda Riding position; keeping the weight positioned correctly took the pain away from my butt and thighs

5. Confidence and Familiarity; now that I am more comfortable with the bike and it’s higher COG and weight, my muscles and riding style are so much more relaxed. I was very tense thinking I was going to drop my new machine every time I got on it.

6. Ibuprofen; I take at least three before I ride, that’s the key, sorta loosens the muscles up before they get sore

7. Airhawk seat: I only use this when I will be doing long Freeway rides to the mountains and then remove for the Twisties. But, it sure helps my a** on the way home.

Good Luck. You will get used to it.

This is good stuff here, plus I do some things that some others are not to comfortable with, which would also be alot harder riding two up.

Stand up, stretch it out. If I'm on a realy long ride I'll stand up for a long enough period of time that it feels good to sit down.
Since you mentioned it...I agree and stand up all the time. My first 20 years were on a dirt bike so standing up is routine and just cruising down a paved road is nothing. Gets some stares from older folks and the younger ones think you are fixing to "stunt" but no I'm just giving the butt a stretch. On my Hawk when I do it I can't really see any of the bike...it's a little freaky like I'm just flying along.

Skimming through all of the post you got all the answers anyone can give except one. Come to EOM in September and look at the bikes and what we have done to them. Also if you want to try a Russell seat I am sure one of us will let you fit it to your bike for a short trip one afternoon.

Latest posts