How long does the pain last.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had my 09 for about 2 months, the stock seat just about killed me. On Friday I went up to Ojai for a Bill Mayer seat, and oh yes I am a believer. It took me about 200 miles for my body to adjust, but after that, the next 300 miles were wonderful.

Good Luck

David

... Then I recently bought a Triumph Trophy. Those funkin limeys have no goddamn idea how to make a seat. I'm wriggling in buttock orient ed pain in 30-40 minutes and doing my TP standups...
Maybe that's why I don't have a problem with my stock '06 seat after four years of my Trophy's :p

I do get off the bike every two hours or so (need to do a reverse hydration exercise anyway - oh, too many birthdays), and sometimes stand on the pegs for a few seconds between stops.

Took my first multi hour ride yesterday. I have a road that is well paved and twisties galore. I cross the river and it's a straight shot back home, Throttlemeister style. I know you've all probably heard it before, but my A** is killing me. This is my first non-cruiser type of bike. I have been mainly commuting back and forth to work, which is 20 miles each way. Trying to build up to a longer ride. I had my wife on the back. The riding was fun, but my upper legs and glutes hurt. My wife said her feet hurt sitting in the back. I got the numb hand a few times as well. I have a crampbuster, but still had to shake it out a couple of times. I tried keeping the yoda position as much as I could. I have a pair of highway pegs I haven't put on yet as the riding back and forth to work is pretty comofrtable.
I read about many of you taking these long trips, and mine was only a 100 miles or so. I wonder to myself if I'll ever be able to do a long ride. Any suggestions to ease my pain?
Usually in the spring of the year ,, I start off with a few "around the block" rides ,,, 75, 100 , 150 mile rides... to get my butt into shape...

you don't start jogging by running a 25 mile marathon,,

Butt ,, shoulder ,, legs usually hurt ,,, pop a couple aspirin ,, I don't do ibuprofen ,,saving my liver for beer...

A good MC seat will help ,,, I like Corbin's ,,,but haven't tried Meyer's or Russell's

The stock seat on the FJR is pretty good for a stock seat ,, but it's still a 100 mile Butt Breaker....

Plus getting older doesn't help,,,, I get worn-out just running to the frig. for a beer....

In no particular order.........but all required.....

Alaskan sheep-skin for seat

NEVER wear jeans.....only compression shorts w/nylon shorts under your riding pants

Cruise control or some kind of throttle lock device

Stand occasionally when your are in town

Keep moving to different positions

Get to the gym......work on abs, legs and back

Stop every 90 minutes and visit with the locals.....they are very interesting people

GOLD-BOND Medicated powder !!!

Use pillion's seat and foot pegs (NOTE: This only works well when pillion is not present)

First of all I'm not sure you should be unwinding the spring on your bike. That was something that seemed to become common with the introduction of the Gen-II bikes and your profile says yours is an '05.

I never unwound my spring, but this year I installed the CCS-100 cruise. Was interesting for slabbing, but I still prefer manual control.

Second; I ride an '06 and do enough miles that I go through several sets of tires a year and the stock seat only gets iffy for me after about 5 hours - but fuel stops (which seem to occur every five hours or so - max) seem to make it all good again.

But that's just me.

Before spending big bucks on seats, try beads and gel. It may do it for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Things I've learned over the years. I'm a previous Concours owner...a great bike, but not nearly as smooth as a FJR.

1. Cruise Control

2. Cramp Buster

3. Some kind of pain med (over counter) for those of us that need it. (from all my motocross crashes)

4. Hearing protection

5. LD Comfort or equivelant pants

6. Lip Balm, Sunblock and eye drops at every fuel stop...also take a good break and HYDRATE....

7. I'll stretch legs while riding...at slower speeds i.e. work zones etc.

8. I'll stand up while riding....same

9. I move around on the bike...rock back and forth on the seat...keep blood flowing to the lower cheeks

10. At stop lights etc. stand up whle you are waiting.

We just did a 650 mile ride from BMW-MOA to St. Louis in about ten hours or so. It was a great ride!!!!

Most importantly, have fun and be safe!!!!!!!!!

... Then I recently bought a Triumph Trophy. Those funkin limeys have no goddamn idea how to make a seat. I'm wriggling in buttock orient ed pain in 30-40 minutes and doing my TP standups...
Maybe that's why I don't have a problem with my stock '06 seat after four years of my Trophy's :p

I do get off the bike every two hours or so (need to do a reverse hydration exercise anyway - oh, too many birthdays), and sometimes stand on the pegs for a few seconds between stops.
Yes, sir. I know from whence you speak. Being on HCTZ (a diuretic) for hypertension has that same automatic, 2-hour break timing feature, especially when coupled with a few cups'a Joe in the mornin'. ;)

That stock Trophy seat would be a good "trainer" to whip anyone's nether region into submission.

The stock FJR seat is a sofa in comparison. But I'll be getting the good folks at Russell to intervene on my training plan...

What's kind of interesting is that the passenger seat doesn't seem all that bad. Squishy foam for sure, but wide and flat for support. Not like the nut smashing saddle up front. I guess they only wanted to inflict the maximum pain on the rider...

Finally, to prevent A.D.D., Adult Diaper Disorder, (the REAL monkeybutt) wash your nether regions when you stop. Don't rely on just toilet paper. 'nuff said.
+1 This will also help prevent dingle berries later on in the day and skid marks on the motel sheets that evening. Be careful of eating a lot of granolia on the road, the unavoidable gas isn't all that dry, ya know :eek:

I agree with the list of stuff to do except the ibuprofen. It is really bad for you (expecially your liver). Just try to take it rarely. I plan on destroying my liver with beer. And beer and ibuprofen is way bad.
I got the Spencer modified seat and I got no ass and I don't have ass problems. I am active in the seat. I switch positions alot and stand on the pegs and my ass isn't a problem.

I got wrist issues that perhaps the heli bars will fix. Interestingly, it is my left wrist that complains the most. I got the AE so my left wrist doesn't have too much to do. Except for clicking through the gears, all it really does is wave to other riders. I am guessing that my left wrist is trying to delegate that job to my left foot which doesn't wave nor do much of anything.

And when I get home, after two beers my wrists are Ok. I think I remember how long the pain should last.

Art

Acetominophen is the one that is bad for your liver and should only be taken at dosage labled. Ibuprofen works through the kidneys and one needs to ensure sufficient water is taken with it.

If you're only now getting into a 2 hours ride (multi-hour) then give yourself time to build up your muscles that haven't been used this way before. Take more frequent rest stops. Build up to where you're comfortable then add more time/distance as you feel ready.

Given how short your rides have been up to now, a custom seat may be a big investment.

Plan some routes around your last time/distance and try to match those until you're both comfy with them (take breaks more often as said). Once you're comfy, then plan longer routes. Slowly expand your horizons.

When the temps and humidity are high I use A + D Cracked Skin Relief Cream. A friend who rides bicycles told me about this and it does work. You can find it at drug stores.

This will probably get me flamed to hell and back for doing something perceptually stupid, but something I do on REALLY long rides...at the 400 to 500 mile point in the ride...I lock down the VistaCruise, slide my ass back to the passenger seat, with my feet on the driver's pegs, and drive "hands free" for a couple of minutes at a time. ONLY on the slab and ONLY in light to no traffic. Really gives my feet, ankles, calf, thigh and butt muscles a break.
I've never seen this mentioned before. Anyone else ever try it?
Yeah. I've set the MC Cruise and slid back, leaned against the top case for a minute or two when I've gotten the opportunity. Even my Russell (think that's what I've got) feels like a brick after a few hours.

OP- Part of the equation is conditioning but I think a bigger part (no pun) is anatomy. My next step will be either a seat rebuild or an Airhawk. +10 on the Ibup. Don't leave home without it.

+1 on the Gold Bond powder for the cracks and crevices.

I find day one can be tough, day two worse, day three better and each day after that a little better than the previous. It IS about getting the body in shape, but it's amazing how fast that "shape" can be lost between tours. We're heading out for five days Thursday night; Saturday will be the worst for me with things looking up after.

I'll probably regret asking this but...how does one apply said powder without powdering floors, clothing, and everything else within a 6' radius? And, does it make you sneeze?

Thanks

I'll probably regret asking this but...how does one apply said powder without powdering floors, clothing, and everything else within a 6' radius? And, does it make you sneeze?Thanks
You take it with you and apply it after every butt-washing. Helps dry you out and who cares if you wind up powdering some gas station bathroom?

Only makes you sneeze if your nose is in your butt. :rofl:

no powder while wearing LD Comfort shorts

when Warchild recommended them after wearing said shorts on his amazing seven Butt Burner Gold in a row ride, I had to try them. $45 bucks...I would have paid double now that I wore them on RFTW 3300 miles in 12 days.

I also recommend a wider seat (mine is a Sargeant, but I would have a Russel if I knew what I know now)

My Airhawk Air Pad on top of the wider Sargeant is also what makes my butt happy

YMMV

let's ride safe and be careful out there,

Mike in Nawlins'

When you decide that a custom seat is the answer make sure that you get one built to your specs, not a used one that was made for someone 25-30lbs heavier or leaner than you are. My 07 that I bought used had a Russell Day Long heated seat and I tried and tried to get use to that seat but it was terrible and eventually bought a stock seat and was going to have it spencerized but sold the bike.