How many bikes with 83,000 miles

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jestal,

If we think there is carbon buildup from normal use, would it be helpful to spray some water into the engine while it is running to loosen the carbon? I have read about people doing this on Ford Explorers by drawing water in through a vacuum line.

Thanks.

Scab I wouldn't know what to think if the guy was trying to screw him over. Especially since he worked there for a couple of months. That would really take the cake.

Scab I wouldn't know what to think if the guy was trying to screw him over. Especially since he worked there for a couple of months. That would really take the cake.
You know, I had to go back and re-read the entire thing to figure out what you were talking about. I don't know how I missed the post where he stated he once worked there, but I sure as heck did. If that be the case, I would hope that this is definately not a case of predatory billing. If it is, then you are definately right, the cake is gone. With that information in mind, I hope this is just a case of overly-cautious estimating.

Cylinder leakdown is an awesome test, even has glamour, glitz and an air of mystery. As has been previously said, percent of of leakdown is a great way to get some idea of cylinder health. Listening for leaking air will also help identify problems. As also mentioned, leakdown testing on a street engine may not be the last/only word in diagnosing problems. The old tried true and not so glamorous compression test still is very relevant to the FJR engine.

Look for 228 psi nominal at 400 rpm, throttle wide open. Use 199 pst to 255 psi as upper/lower limits. All cylinders should be within 14.2 psi of each other. If you find one cylinder low, add a few drops of oil and retest. If the pressure goes up it is a strong indication of piston problems and possibly ring problems. If the reading remains the same the problem is most likely in the valve train.

The FJR cylinder walls are lined with a ceramic composite coating making them really durable. It would take severe piston slap or really bad ring problems to have damaged the cylinder walls at only 83k miles.

In any case, it would be informative to do a compression test. However plebeian it is, that is what the FSM calls for.

Also on leak down tests if you squirt a little oil in and the reading changes dramatically its usually the bottom end, if not its usually valves.

I had just done vale check last month along with fluid replacement tune up valves were fine, I noticed that it was running rich and when stopping had to keep throttle open a little or it would die. He check the injecters and they were fine then did compression check which brought up the issue, he said and upper job would be cheaper but did I want to go all the way replace everthing pistons bearings valves ETC and thats where the the 4,550.00 came from.We have contacted a motorcycle bone yard for an low milage 05 engine to see what it would cost. will let you all know what we find out. THANKS for all the wisdom from this site.

rogerfjrfaster

Jestal,
If we think there is carbon buildup from normal use, would it be helpful to spray some water into the engine while it is running to loosen the carbon? I have read about people doing this on Ford Explorers by drawing water in through a vacuum line.

Thanks.

Personally I would not do that. Carbon buildup is perfectly normal (to some extent) and is no reason for alarm nor does it warrant any preventive type of maintenance like that.

Introducing water like that is a very effective way to clean carbon. Just be very careful and not to pour too much in too fast or you risk hydrostatically locking the cylinder and doing serious damage. About the only time an engine would need a decarb process is if it had built up a lot of carbon and was causing noise from the carbon touching the piston a it reaches TDC. This can and does happen on some engines the result is a fairly loud "tick" or "click" as the carbon touches the piston and causes it to rock slightly at TDC resulting in piston slap that is what you hear. Unless you are hearing strange noises or the engine is using a lot of oil or something like that there is really nothing to warrant trying to decarb. Some carbon buildup is fine as it just raises the compression ratio.

As hard as the FJR engine revs it is not likely that it would build up much carbon.