Hub cracks?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry I haven't had a chance to try the HFEC on mine yet. Too busy doing HFEC. In fact I haven't even checked it visually. I'm going on a 2 week vacation (with the FJR) on Saturday and am not worried about it if I don't get to if first.

Maybe tomorrow.
Sounds like fun! The hub will be just fine!! ENJOY! :D

I just drilled a hole through the casting at the end of the stress crack so that it wouldn't continue to propagate.

I just drilled a hole through the casting at the end of the stress crack so that it wouldn't continue to propagate.
Nice job! That should stop the crack from growing. Now go out and buy a case of Oil to take care of the leaking problem. While you're at it.

Get a truck load of sawdust to sop up the oil slick that will appear on your garage floor. An NDI Tech should always be prepaired!! :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Shut up already!-what if the Beemer Boys get ahold of this-they're dying for revenge..I would suggest some sandpaper and paint...

You did chamfer the hole too, right? Is it Friday already?

[Hijack] Got your PM, looked at the unit, may be this weekend before I can write a reply. [/Hijack]

[Hijack] Got your PM, looked at the unit, may be this weekend before I can write a reply. [/Hijack]
You betcha!
rattpak_countersink.jpg

"Nice job! That should stop the crack from growing. Now go out and buy a case of Oil to take care of the leaking problem. While you're at it."

There's oil in there? :unsure:

You betcha!
rattpak_countersink.jpg

"Nice job! That should stop the crack from growing. Now go out and buy a case of Oil to take care of the leaking problem. While you're at it."

There's oil in there? :unsure:
Zippy, Zippy, Zippy. Of COURSE there's no oil in there. Sheesh, how gullible ARE you?

FINALLY!!! A person with some reasonable, rational advice!! :yahoo:

Back after an absence. Thanks to all those who provided answers and opinions to a question from a guy who had no metallurgical knowledge. I have found that many FJR owners have a great deal of engineering and/or technical know-how and are very willing to share. I trust their opinions far more than info from Yamaha, all things considered.

>To the Mohunchers who ridiculed and provided worthless advice and comments-keep it up, the Board could be boring without it!!!

On my 08, I have what appears to be rough casting ridges that were not buffed out before powder coating. These ridges and rough areas are primarily underneath the rear drive housing. I noticed it when the bike was brand new, and I simply attributed it to poor surface prep prior to the coating application. It's not really anywhere on the wheel or wheel/spoke connection area that I have noticed. Not losing any sleep or have any concerns. It's not cracks, it's just poor surface smoothness in that area and should have been cleaned-up in the factory, but was not. My plans were to point it out to my dealer next time I get by there and ask that it be noted in the service records for my bike.

Holy crap! I can't believe this thread still has legs. :lol: Ha! I noticed these minor defects after picking up my 08 last year. The first time I went over the bike, I started noticing that a lot of the cast aluminium parts did not have near the finish quality that my 04 had. Even the swing arm. I'd be very surprised if these parts did not hold up structurally as good as the old ones. Shouldn't be a problem. I do think Yamaha's quality control may have slipped some in certain areas on these bikes.

GP

Holy crap! I can't believe this thread still has legs. :lol: Ha! I noticed these minor defects after picking up my 08 last year. The first time I went over the bike, I started noticing that a lot of the cast aluminium parts did not have near the finish quality that my 04 had. Even the swing arm. I'd be very surprised if these parts did not hold up structurally as good as the old ones. Shouldn't be a problem. I do think Yamaha's quality control may have slipped some in certain areas on these bikes.

GP
Cheap Bastards at the factory trying to squeeze every last drop out of the molds!! :angry2:

Get a truck load of sawdust to sop up the oil slick that will appear on your garage floor. An NDI Tech should always be prepaired!! :lol:
On the floor??? I put it in the diff to help quiet down all that whinning!
Good Idea!! :rolleyes:

Damn, my bike doesn't have these marks...anyone know where I can get some? Freaking GenII bikes get all the mods...at least us GenI'ers have the Tick to bitch about...

Damn, my bike doesn't have these marks...anyone know where I can get some? Freaking GenII bikes get all the mods...at least us GenI'ers have the Tick to bitch about...
Your bike must have been one of the first ones with a brand new mold!! You lucky Bastard!! :p

OK

Good news and bad news

1st my bike doesn't have the anomoly so therefore it's good news. Therefore I can't try any of my NDI test methods to try to help identify what it might be so that's the bad news.

The more I look at the information the more I think it is a surface problem only from the die cast mold. I wouldn't worry about but then again I don't have to.

I concure with jeremyr62 "the metallurgist". Ride it and sleep easy.