Hwy 64 in central New Mexico

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Going back to New Mexico in April or August but i think this time i will explore south of I40....
There's only a small handful of good roads in NM south of I40, and most of them take a shit of boring roads to get to.

There's some decent riding out of Ruidoso and Cloudcroft, but only about 11 miles at a time, with lots of straight in between. Farther east is total flat land straights.

West of that is the Black Range between Hillsboro and Silver City, but none of the places at the beginning or end are worth riding to. There's some decent riding near Reserve, but again...way out of the way.

Outside of Grants towards Arizona has some fun, but still, two good roads that you have to u-turn on and go back don't really make it worth it.

South 14 out of Albuquerque is good for 14 miles, then not too bad till it hits NM55. Turn right and burn through Tajique, Torreron and Manzano towards Mountainair. Once you hit Mountainair you're done. At speed, that ride takes less than 1.5 hours from my house.

You can take N14 through Madrid towards Santa Fe, but that's more a destination road than a good MC road. Branching off of that is the Crest road that runs to the top of Cedar Crest. That's 14 miles of great climb and good turns...Completed at a parking lot and the trip back down. Through national forest, so it has federal Rangers and the Sheriff's Department all up and down it...

Honestly NM's best roads are north of I40...I only go south when I have to, and to burn that few miles of S14 to either head to my mom's or go to lunch in Mountainair, Willard, or Estancia. Maybe Belen to eat but from Mountinair on 60 and then toward,s Belen sucks.

Thanks for all the good info......last time i ran into some storms north of 40 but was able to ride around them. I ill be going through El Paso so i will take a couple of the routes and then maybe head back up to Toas....Im thinking this time of spending 6 days and 5 nights in NM just dont know if May or August will be when i get to go.

Thanks for all the good info......last time i ran into some storms north of 40 but was able to ride around them. I ill be going through El Paso so i will take a couple of the routes and then maybe head back up to Toas....Im thinking this time of spending 6 days and 5 nights in NM just dont know if May or August will be when i get to go.
When you have an idea, lemme know. I'll meet up with you. Run you up highway 1, then through Penasco to Mora, up through Black Lake to Eagles Nest and Red River. There we'll meet that loser Patch, and hammer some sweet roads.

Will do. Do i need to include a weekend so you can be off from work.
I work graves, so I get off Thursday morning at 0700. Off Thursday night, Friday night, and then back to work Saturday night at 11pm. For some reason, Patch and I always seem to be on different schedules, so, come when you come. One of us will prolly use a vacation day.