HyperPro Fork Springs for ALL model FJRs

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone else fitted Hyperpro spring to their FJR's?

I just fitted mine last week, haven't ridden it yet but ever since inserting springs into forks and reassembling forks, I have a strange rubbing noise coming from the offside fork. It is like I can clearly hear the spring rubbing off the inside of the fork leg.

Only it seems to be one fork, the nearside fork sounds perfect (almost silent) as is normal like with stock springs.

Any feedback welcome

Purchased these fork springs & HP shock from EPM last fall. Used their recommendations for spring weight, oil weight & oil capacity.
I was exceedingly pleased with both performance and cost. It met my needs for touring and and very aggressive riding in N. GA area.

No issues with noise from fork tubes, i followed the instructions supplied by Klaus at EPM https://epmperf.com/ again I was/am thoroughly pleased with the performance!

Last edited by a moderator:
Same here. Got the springs from EPM. Had some discussion with Klaus as I ran out of oil from the kit they sent. Not sure what happened but my air gap is fine with a few oz of extra oil.. This was two seasons ago and it has been fine. I did have a shop replace the seals and bushings while the forks were off.

Handles better but wish I could afford a shock for it to complete the picture.

No odd noises. You may want to take the noisy one apart again and see if something went in out of order during assembly.

--Kevin

I think when you install these springs on a 1st Gen you need to take the pressed on washer off the top of the cartridge and let the spring seat on the lip on the top of the cartridge, other wise the spring can walk around on the big flat area and will rub the inside of the inner fork tube.

Thanks for the replies.

I just took the spring out and put it back in and made sure evrything was tight and checked oil level again.

It didnt seem to be making any noise after I tightened everything up.

Time will tell.

I'll be interested in how this turns out. Be sure to leave feedback once it's up and running. The fork is one of only a few things I'm going to want to change on this beast.

There is a difference between true progressive springs and dual rate (or three or four rate) springs, and the longer one is not a progressive. The picture shows three different winding rates, so it would be a three rate spring, which with shift to a higher rate in each of two steps, rather than progressively, as in a curve. True progressive springs are either wound with all coils of the same diameter, but progressively wider with each coil, or they are wound with a tapered or "beehive" shape, with each coil a larger diameter than the last. The other thing is that from any given point in the spring's compression, it will remain at one single spring rate until the next coil binds (runs into the one above or below it and ceases to be effective). I'll explain.

First, you have to understand that a coil spring is nothing more than a compact form of torsion bar. when you compress one, you are twisting, applying torsion to, the wire. With wire of any size, the longer the wire the less twisting it 90 degrees at one end will twist each 1mm section of it, so the longer torsion bar has a lower rate than the shorter one (which is why cutting springs down makes them stiffer). Thus, a coil of any length with fewer windings has a higher rate than one with more, as does a coil with smaller diameter coils compared with one that is larger. That's coil diameter, not wire diameter.

So, looking at the new longer spring, you see there is one very tight wound section at the lower end. That's lowest spring rate. Then there's another les tightly wound section, and another comprising most of the length that is looser yet. That top one is the stiffest. Now, how does that work?

A dual rate spring is nothing more than stacking two different rate springs on top of one another, so imagine there's a 200 inch pound spring with a 100 in/lb spring sitting on top. The 100 in/lb spring will coil bind after two inches of compression, and there is no load on the combined spring to start with. When a 100 pound weight is placed on top of the spring set, the 100 in/lb spring is compressed one inch as a result, but the same weight is also bearing on the 200 pound spring, so it gets compressed a half inch as well. The total compression resulting from the 100 pound load is 1.5 inches. Dividing the 100 pound load by the amount of resulting 1.5" compression gives the rate as 67 inch pounds. That's actually less than either of the two spring rates used in the combo because of the compound compression.

If the load is increased to 200 pounds, the rate continues to be 67 in/lbs, but only until the 100 pound spring coil binds, at which point it becomes just a stack of spacers for the 100 pound spring. So once the combined spring is compressed 3" under this load, the rate jumps up immediately to 200 in/lbs, because that's the only active spring in the stack.

Progressives are the same. Because all coils bear the load in common, they all compress under it according to their individual rate, and the rate rises only as each lighter rate coil binds up against it's neighbor.

If the load is increased to 200 pounds, the rate continues to be 67 in/lbs, but only until the 100 pound spring coil binds, at which point it becomes just a stack of spacers for the 100 pound spring. So once the combined spring is compressed 3" under this load, the rate jumps up immediately to 200 in/lbs, because that's the only active spring in the stack.
A stack of (heavy) spacers pretty much describes the bottom end of the hyperpro-fork-springs. I had the opportunity to hold a set of said springs at a tech day and was able to fully compress/bind the lower springs by pushing down on the springs when they were upright on a work bench. Those tightly wound springs would have to be completely compressed just by the weight of the FJR and rider which begs the question...why have them at all except to add unnecessary weight?

It's unclear to me what the designed reason fro something like that would be. It seems just as simple to make up the spring with coils that remain active once preloaded into place that comes out at the correct installed length and preload.

If the coils are not coil bound just by screwing the cap on the fork, then they have some influence on the fork behavior at times when the weight rises off the suspension, such as when you top a rise in the pavement.

I might make clear one thing about multi-rate springs. Any reputable manufacturer labels them by their actual measured rates, not by the rates of the individual sections. The example I gave above would be labeled as a 67/200 if it was wound in one piece, not as a 100/200. A lot of off-road stuff for cars and quads is available as stacked separate springs, and that's a little confusing sometimes.