I can see!....behind me!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why do the anti FZ1 mirror people feel compelled to spout shit about this mod? Are you trying to convince someone that you have superior taste? What are you really adding to this discussion?
Fred, just so you, or anyone else, aren't left with a wrong impression, I personally am NOT an "anti FZ1 mirror" person. Not spouting shit...not trying convince anyone of my "superior taste". None of that...

Perhaps my own physical condition prevents me from seeing a shortcoming in my stock mirror setup on my Gen I....I am blind in my right eye, so my right mirror is setup for viewing with my left eye. Perhaps this is why I don't have any issues with "too much arm/shoulder" in my rearward vision. When I look at my mirrors, either side, I see the barest outline of my right and left arms...sort of like how I see rearward in a car...adjusting the mirrors to "just" see the edge of the rear of my vehicle.

So taking into account my vision shortcoming, the OEM mirrors FOR ME are just fine. I don't have a problem. Maybe it's an upside of not having stereoscopic vision.

So MY portion of participation in this thread has NOTHING to do with form over function...just me expressing why I don't see a problem with the OEMs.

However, all that being said,

fjrmantis.jpg

:p :p :p

How many of you vocal goobers have even ridden an FJR with the FZ1 mirrors on there as a comparison?

:whistle: 2500 plus miles on Miss Lucy a few weeks back, she was also equipped with spot mirrors.. With the exception of the spot mirrors I noticed no discernible difference.

However she is a Gen I so I can't comment with any accuracy regarding Gen II mirrors, they do look like duckshit though.

The chatter about the mirrors being the same width as the sidecases isn't all that valid, considering the wide point of most vehicles happens to be the mirrors also.

Can't say as I've ever seen anything with mirrors the level of the sidecases :weirdsmiley:

Last edited by a moderator:
Quick quiz.....which one is the FJR with FZ1 mirrors................

fjrmantis.jpg
They may be practical for some but, those things are FUGLY and kill the original clean lines of the bike. JMHO! :)

Guess that explains you and Nestor cutting off the old biddy in NC when you switched lanes in front of her after we left the BBQ place (and I got lost for an hour in Hendersonville because I got stuck behind her, going 15mph and you guys left me for dead.)

Can't say as I've ever seen anything with mirrors the level of the sidecases :weirdsmiley:
Never seen a Kawi Concourse 14???
Why yes I have matter of fact. :lol:

My buddy Rob owns one and a Mini Cooper. Side by side the connies sidecases are just about roof level :p

I stand corrected chickendik :(

I love my F1 mirrors and can afford them because I don't have an $800 dollar seat. I like my stock seat just fine, but I am sure others prefer their custom seats. I am trying to point out that there are a lot of farkles that cost a lot, but may not be necessary. That would include the F1 mirrors that I think are money well spent.

Quick quiz.....which one is the FJR with FZ1 mirrors................

fjrmantis.jpg
They may be practical for some but, those things are FUGLY and kill the original clean lines of the bike. JMHO! :)

Guess that explains you and Nestor cutting off the old biddy in NC when you switched lanes in front of her after we left the BBQ place (and I got lost for an hour in Hendersonville because I got stuck behind her, going 15mph and you guys left me for dead.)
Oops! I didn't know that happened. I thought you guys just headed back the exact way we got there in the first place. We took a slightly different route. I don't remember cutting off any old biddy!! I Swear Officer!! It didn't happen! Wasn't Me! :lol:

I love my F1 mirrors and can afford them because I don't have an $800 dollar seat. I like my stock seat just fine, but I am sure others prefer their custom seats. I am trying to point out that there are a lot of farkles that cost a lot, but may not be necessary. That would include the F1 mirrors that I think are money well spent.
I agree Jer, I'm just fine with the stock seat too. I personally don't have a problem with anyone using them. My comments are to point out how ugly they are, nothing more! If people like them, then Go for it. :)

C'mon, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. This weeks rain's have dulled her shine a bit, but she wears her antlers proudly, lol. She looks ready for an afternoon romp after I finish up here at the office. :D

IMG_2044.jpg

Does it really matter what others think of the various farkles one applies to their FJR? It's all about what works for you....well....unless you're trying to keep up with the Joneses or something. ;)

Bonus prize for guessing the number of asphalt divots my kickstand's made here over the past couple of years, lol (I use a plate 'most' of the time until the cold comes).

I agree Jer, I'm just fine with the stock seat too. I personally don't have a problem with anyone using them. My comments are to point out how ugly they are, nothing more! If people like them, then Go for it. :)
There you go Magic. You didn't know you cut off that poor old lady because you couldn't see her with your crappy mirrors. What looks worse, those long mirrors or a crashed bike? I swear, as ugly as you are, mirrors would be the least of your worries. Besides, the FZ1 mirrors are big and black. You should LOVE them.

There you go Magic. You didn't know you cut off that poor old lady because you couldn't see her with your crappy mirrors. What looks worse, those long mirrors or a crashed bike? I swear, as ugly as you are, mirrors would be the least of your worries. Besides, the FZ1 mirrors are big and black. You should LOVE them.
My mirrors see just fine! If there was an old biddy in my way, she was going to be a little dot in my mirrors anyway. Had things to do and places to be. :p

Shit!

The more I think about this the more it makes sense for some....

I mean if I had to lead some of you old nasty curmudgeons - Howie, Vic, Stanley, Walt etc around all day I sure as hell wouldn't wanna be able to see yer nasty asses in my mirrors.

Nope. I'm glad my bike has sucky mirrors now :p

Shit!

I mean if I had to lead some of you old nasty curmudgeons - Howie, Vic, Stanley, Walt etc around all day I sure as hell wouldn't wanna be able to see yer nasty asses in my mirrors.

Hey Bust, I am one of those old curmudgeons and you wouldn't need mirrors to see me, you would need telescopic vision ahead.

Shit!

Hey Bust, I am one of those old curmudgeons and you wouldn't need mirrors to see me, your would need telescopic vision ahead.
OUCH! Slap Down! Gauntlet 'tossed' like a Bustanut Salad! Bust?

What say you, dearie? ;)

For the record, I finally put fz mirrors on KrZy8 and now wonder why I waited so long..

The FZ1 mirrors have really come down in price. I just ordered a set for $24.95 for my '04 from CycleCenter.com

I know it's kind of late to chime in but I'm new to the fjr world.

Dogu

C'mon, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. This weeks rain's have dulled her shine a bit, but she wears her antlers proudly, lol. She looks ready for an afternoon romp after I finish up here at the office. :D

IMG_2044.jpg

Does it really matter what others think of the various farkles one applies to their FJR? It's all about what works for you....well....unless you're trying to keep up with the Joneses or something. ;)

Bonus prize for guessing the number of asphalt divots my kickstand's made here over the past couple of years, lol (I use a plate 'most' of the time until the cold comes).

I'm guessing over 50 divots......is the the VShield you have on? I just ordered one. How do you like the air flow?

Dogu

The FZ1 mirrors have really come down in price. I just ordered a set for $24.95 for my '04 from CycleCenter.com

Dogu
I'd wager that these will be the EMGO clones, not the OEM Yamaha parts, at that price. If they are OEM you should buy as many as you can and resell them as they cost about double that everywhere else..

Dogu
I'd wager that these will be the EMGO clones, not the OEM Yamaha parts, at that price. If they are OEM you should buy as many as you can and resell them as they cost about double that everywhere else..
I'm with Fred here. These sound like the "like OEM" mirrors. If that's the case, you should cancel the order or send them back without opening them.

EVERY person I have seen so far that orders the knock-offs hates them. Most end up buying real OEM FZ1 mirrors later. Save yourself the $25 worth of frustration and find the real ones.

Still loving my FZ1 mirrors. I'm a small guy and was seeing knuckles and elbows in at least half of the mirrows on each side with the OEM mirrors. Just don't get how all the detractors think these don't work better if you haven't tried it. They are a little long, but don't think they look that bad. At least they look like motorcycle mirrors instead of whats on my Impala. But that being said, eye of the beholder. If ya don't like em. don't put em on.

GP