I can see!....behind me!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The FZ1 mirrors have really come down in price. I just ordered a set for $24.95 for my '04 from CycleCenter.com

I know it's kind of late to chime in but I'm new to the fjr world.

Dogu
I'd wager that these will be the EMGO clones, not the OEM Yamaha parts, at that price. If they are OEM you should buy as many as you can and resell them as they cost about double that everywhere else..
I'm with Fred here. These sound like the "like OEM" mirrors. If that's the case, you should cancel the order or send them back without opening them.

EVERY person I have seen so far that orders the knock-offs hates them. Most end up buying real OEM FZ1 mirrors later. Save yourself the $25 worth of frustration and find the real ones.
I wish I would have asked you guys earlier. They're pretty cheap. I'll use them until the OEM come in any how.

Thanks, Doug

C'mon, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. This weeks rain's have dulled her shine a bit, but she wears her antlers proudly, lol. She looks ready for an afternoon romp after I finish up here at the office. :D

IMG_2044.jpg

Does it really matter what others think of the various farkles one applies to their FJR? It's all about what works for you....well....unless you're trying to keep up with the Joneses or something. ;)

Bonus prize for guessing the number of asphalt divots my kickstand's made here over the past couple of years, lol (I use a plate 'most' of the time until the cold comes).

I'm guessing over 50 divots......is the the VShield you have on? I just ordered one. How do you like the air flow?

Dogu
You'd be close on the divot count. ;)

Yes, it's the VStream...the airflow is pretty steady around it; I like it. I run it year round; it's fantastic when the temps are low because it's a barn door, but it does the job too well during the summers. Think I'm going to finally break down and pick up a shorty screen to run during the sauna months.

The FZ1 mirrors have really come down in price. I just ordered a set for $24.95 for my '04 from CycleCenter.com

I know it's kind of late to chime in but I'm new to the fjr world.

Dogu
I'd wager that these will be the EMGO clones, not the OEM Yamaha parts, at that price. If they are OEM you should buy as many as you can and resell them as they cost about double that everywhere else..
I'm with Fred here. These sound like the "like OEM" mirrors. If that's the case, you should cancel the order or send them back without opening them.

EVERY person I have seen so far that orders the knock-offs hates them. Most end up buying real OEM FZ1 mirrors later. Save yourself the $25 worth of frustration and find the real ones.
I wish I would have asked you guys earlier. They're pretty cheap. I'll use them until the OEM come in any how.

Thanks, Doug
I got a pair of the EMGO's to use till I found a deal on the real thing but so far am happy with these. I was surprised to find out they actually fold back as well. The mechanism is crap though so I replaced the pressed on "bolt" with the real thing and it works fine. It's good to have a jar full of retained hardware for just such a need. Will still be keeping an eye out for OEM mirrors.

1108121602.jpg

Folded

1108121629.jpg

1108121559.jpg

My OEM mirrors folded, but not enough to save them from breaking when the bike was dropped in a 0 MPH "crash". It seems the OEM FZ1 mirrors do not fold - or at least they do not under "gentle persuasion". Worse, the support under the plastic tends to bend and is very difficult to bend back. For me, it seems it is just a matter of time until the next 0 MPH "crash". The next set of mirrors will be the cheap EMGOs. I don't mind spending on regular maintenance but engineering in protection for the inevitable drops seems sensible.

The OEM FZ1 mirrors fold exactly the way the EMGO mirror above is shown.

The main difference between the EMGOs and Yamaha OEM mirrors is that the OEM hardware in that very pivot joint is less floppy on OEMs. But they do still fold in quite easily and have a positive spring loaded detent that keeps them in the correct position when underway (the downfall of the EMGOs). They fold up and back (as shown) so that a zero mph drop on either side will do them or the sub-frame absolutely no damage.

DAMHIKT :glare:

Last edited by a moderator:
The OEM FZ1 mirrors fold exactly the way the EMGO mirror above is shown.

The main difference between the EMGOs and Yamaha OEM mirrors is that the OEM hardware in that very pivot joint is less floppy on OEMs. But they do still fold in quite easily and have a positive spring loaded detent that keeps them in the correct position when underway (the downfall of the EMGOs). They fold up and back (as shown) so that a zero mph drop on either side will do them or the sub-frame absolutely no damage.

DAMHIKT :glare:
Not sure what you mean by the "downfall of the EMGOs" and not staying in position. When I took these apart, there are steps in the folding mechanism that lock it in place with some odd little domed "springs" around the bolt that keeps things from moving easily. If the FZ1 mirrors break on a tip over, perhaps the cheapo aren't that bad of an alternative.

The FZ1 OEM mirrors do indeed fold very readily, and the do not break on tip overs. As I already said above, I have tested them profusely.

I have never owned a set of the EMGO mirrors. People that have said the pivot point was cheaply assembled and floppy, and that the mirror wouldn't stay in position for them. I have no direct knowledge about them, only the OE FZ1 mirrors which are fine and do not cause any problems.

The FZ1 OEM mirrors do indeed fold very readily, and the do not break on tip overs. As I already said above, I have tested them profusely.

I have never owned a set of the EMGO mirrors. People that have said the pivot point was cheaply assembled and floppy, and that the mirror wouldn't stay in position for them. I have no direct knowledge about them, only the OE FZ1 mirrors which are fine and do not cause any problems.
Mine weren't floppy at all and stayed put until I backed into one, yes by accident, and found out that it folded. After folding it a couple of times, on purpose, it did start to feel like it was going to fall apart. I pulled the rubber back and found that it is very cheaply held together by a pressed together part that was now becoming loose. Crappy pivot point for sure.

I removed the cheapo bolt easily enough and substituted a real one that I tightened so that I could fold the mirror but was solid when in riding position. So far so good. I'll do the same to the other side when I get a chance.

Cheap? Yes, but functional. I don't think they would survive a tip over/other but hey, at least they do fold and shouldn't bend the subframe.

I took everyone's advice and installed the FZ1 mirror on my 2011 FJR. They are AWESOME!! Yes, I can finally see behind me without unusual body contortions. Excellent installation tips. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: