I don't know wich one to pick up ?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Givi is the mutt's nuts..I welded up a bracket so that it sits where a passenger would-looks better, centers the weight better and I can lean back on it..
This sounds very cool. I'd like to move my trunk up behind me when riding longer trips solo. That would help reduce some of the buffeting that these trunks all produce when 1-up, at highway speeds in the dirty air currents.

What would be uberkool would be a bracket that would flip forward and backward to position the trunk for 1-up and 2-up duty. A guy could probably sell a zillion of them

Can you post some pictures of your bracket, pleeeze??
Sorry Fred-I'm a dinosaur when it comes to pics-don't even have a digital..so I made the bracket fron 1"x1/8" flat steel. I removed the 2 screws from the front of the tail section, replaced them with longer screws and bushings to hold a piece of steel just above the plastic. I welded on a piece to that which rises up about 2 inches to clear the grab rail and bends foward over the center of the seat. That piece meets another to form a T. This piece crosses the seat and follows the contours as it bends down and under to rest on the rubber pieces on the top of the grabrail under the seat on each side. The Givi mounting plate bolts to this arrangement and can be positioned for or aft. The seat holds the front of the bracket down securely and most of the weight is off the subframe. Grind the welds and blue paint and it looks factory and no problems in 2 years.

Thanks for the description, am trying to visualize what you describe, but I am lost.
I think you still have about 829 words to go... ;)
Used to have a backrest/luggage rack made by Triangle on my '81 GS850-it would flip foward or backward.. Next time I am in NH [best place to ride in the N east]I'll show you the bracket-meantime I'll work on my picture skills.

I am looking at getting the shad 50 and putting it on a 2004.

Has anyone done this?

I would like to know if it mounts directly and cleanly to the stock back rack, or should an aftermarket rack be purchased?

Thanks

+1 on Givi

I bought the JC Whitney for my Concours, mounted on fabricated plastic cutting board. It worked too, but my FJR little nicer of bike. Plus my Givi came with the bike :D

Buck

Dls.TX

I bought Givi because I was able to key all 6 locks the same, plus I was able to get matching sidecases for my other bikes. I don't see key kits listed on coocase.com.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the Givi 46 on my FJR. I recently added a 3 piece hardcase system from Kappa (subsidiary of Givi) to my FZ6.

Eventhough Kappa is said to be Givi's "economy" line, I am prefering all 3 bags on my FZ6 to the bags on the FJR.

Way, way lighter, just as waterproof, roomier interior for same exterior dimension(s).

Having 2 keys in my pocket, instead of 1, is a minor issue, as they are color designated, so I always know which key is which. And speaking of locks............the Kappa latching/locking system is way more user friendly. Way more...did I say "way"? J'es sayin'

Ok, my point............and I know you are waiting for it.

Make a list of what your needs are, including asthetics and shop with that in mind. The pricier the case doesn't mean you get a superior functioning product, IMHO.

I'll likely park the Givi 46 as a topcase on the feej and just swap the Kappa back and forth.

(oh yeah, it mounts on the same topcase rack as the Givi. It's the same rack, just a diff name stamped on the side :) , and less expensive)

PS. I think part of the reason I spent more time on the 6 this summer was the much lighter luggage. I wasn't lugging 30lbs+ of luggage, PLUS my contents every night. And that 48 ltr topcase swallows everything an impatient, access minded female can throw at it.

:)

Bestem. Got one from some o-Boy vendor, brand new for something like $70. Used it for two years on my ST1300 then moved it to the FJR last summer. The mounting plate looks ugly and I had to do some engineering to get it on the FJ (easy on the ST), but it works, doesn't require any new holes and holds the actual box snug. The box surely isn't Givi or OE quality but it has a nice finish, doesn't leak, holds a XL Arai, and locks. I think they are still available.

pete

I have 6 Givi cases (E50, V46, E21's and E41's), great quality and they all work very well. Worth the money in my opinion.

I think you should consider a stock case. Oh by the way, i have one for sale used Clicky here with the mounting bracket. Make an offer.

Looks very nice on the Feej :)