I have teenagers

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm going broke trying to feed them. Two teens eat as much of the food budget in 12 days as my wife and I eat all month!

Suggestions, legal and illegal will be entertained.

It doesn't get better for a LONG time. Buy lots of stuff they don't like and hide the goodies.

It doesn't get better for a LONG time. Buy lots of stuff they don't like and hide the goodies.

+1 to hiding the goodies.

The only thing I can figure is lock 'em out of the house, or just plain MOVE.

Life here has been much more affordable since my 6'7" son moved up North. He had a gallon of milk per day habit going on

My grocery bill finally lowered when my son moved out for college in fall of 2005. He was at 6 gallons a week.

This past holiday season he was home for two weeks, and had a fellow grad student from China stay with us. They had to buy their own beer, but the Conehead consumption hasn't changed one bit. I had forgotten just how much a kid could eat, much less two of them !

SPU, if your kids still live at home I'd suggest a second mortgage. Recycling, check the couch cushions for change, panhandle outside the local 7-11, etc. Anything to augment the income. If they're just visiting, do what you can.

Find a way to get them to move out. Rent collection in the amount of what it costs to feed them??? Make them work in the vegetable garden, raise your own beef, ...

I think I have to get a second job.

Now that Bug mentions it, every light is on, and multiple clothes changes a day mean endless washes and hot water used...

I'm divorced so I get them 1/2 time. Maybe I can talk to the ex about keeping them more. :assassin:

It isn't just food, half hour showers and leaving every light on in the house get's costly too.
No shit on this one. The house glows when ever they all turn up, then they look at me like I'm some sort of alien when I ask them to turn the stuff off.

SPU Pre-emptive lap band surgery?

+1 on buying the stuff they hate....

also, i don't know what you have around you, SPU, but i used to take them to Cici's pizze, Furr's, Hometown, Golden Corral, for the all you can possibly stuff in your face... once or twice a week. it was a little pricy, but it was cheaper than trying to get comprable at the grocery...

can't help much on the showers and lights. maybe turn the water heater down, and use 25 watt bulbs...

P.

A friend of mine built a manifold where he could cut the hot water and transfer cold water into the hot water pipes.

He got tired of manually doing it, so he automated the system with a timer and sensor.

The boys got 10 minutes before BAM, Cold, Frigid water hit them!

Like Pavlov's dog, they soon learned, 10 minutes max! :yahoo:

Last edited by a moderator:

+1 to hiding the goodies.

The only thing I can figure is lock 'em out of the house, or just plain MOVE.

Life here has been much more affordable since my 6'7" son moved up North. He had a gallon of milk per day habit going on
Barb - you're profile lists your location as Canada. How much farther north did your son move?

I think I have to get a second job.

Now that Bug mentions it, every light is on, and multiple clothes changes a day mean endless washes and hot water used...

I'm divorced so I get them 1/2 time. Maybe I can talk to the ex about keeping them more. :assassin:
Screw the second job deal, make THEM get a job! Both my boys ate like ravenous hyenas after a 3 week fast and the grocery bill reflected it. They got jobs at a pizza parlor and Burger King and I made sure that one of the perks was they got a meal while on their break. Helped cut down on the food exodus the nights they worked as they came home stuffed! :D

Don't buy alot of prepared foods and snacks, get stuff they have to work on before they eat it, That will slow them down as they can't just open the cabinet and start throwing grub down their pie hole. Big 10-4 on the hot water cure, I would go into the boiler room and shut off the daughters hot water after a while, she understood I meant 10 mins the next time.

I'm currently paying off my two kids student loans :angry2: ...thank god they don't live at home anymore :yahoo: ...but the wife still slips them a few bucks now and then :glare: . I quess they'll finally be on there own when I die

Recommendations:

1. Don't hide the junk. Don't buy it in the first place. If they want it, let them buy it.

2. Only buy things that have to be cooked. Let them cook what they eat or wait for meal time with the rest of the family.

Teenager eating habits ain't nuthin' compared to when they decide they want to be their own boss (but still want you to pay their way).

They pod-kids go away and the normal adults come back around the time they turn 21 to 25.

Last edited by a moderator: