I need help?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spine60

Reaction score
My sidebags were not delivered at the time the bike was. I have the hardware in a bag. Can anyone please advise me how this hardware attaches up?? :unsure: Thanks, Greg

Last edited by a moderator:
Are we talking 05 or 06 here? I can explain it, but I can't be sure you would understand it. :p Give me a email address and I could send you a photo, if we're talking 05.

The 03'-05's had no additional hardware
We do, but dealers typically install the components on the bag kit before delivery.

I imagine the mount kit comes with the bags and therefore would not have been installed prior to delivery.

On earlier bikes, two dog-leg shape brackets mount on the exhaust hangers, inner side. Rubber side mounts outward.

I suppose they didn't install the locks either? If not, Bastages I say! :angry:

If so, hopefully someone can guide you through that, including where and where not to put loctite.

It is an '05, and the locks are also not installed.

OK, so mount the dog legs with small bolts (2 per side). Rubber side out. Should be pre-drilled/tapped holes in the exhaust hanger. Is there anything else except the lock mechanism?

Locks you'll have to search or hopefully a kind soul will pipe in. Could be something on micapeak or bikes 'n spikes. You do have these sites bookmarked right? :D

Or you could have the dealer do it. Afterall, this should have been included in the final prep as the bike is sold with bags as an installed accessory.

Well, thanks, I have the hardware installed and all is great. The only other question is how do I install the locks, and why did they give me 3 locks??

Well, thanks, I have the hardware installed and all is great. The only other question is how do I install the locks, and why did they give me 3 locks??
The 3rd lock is for a Yamaha trunk, should you opt for one.

To install the lock, you'll need a Torx-X security bit, size T-10. (If not sure what this is, ask the guy at Sears or Autozone or Schucks.) The screws for the lock are inserted on the underside of the latch. Dry fit everything until you get the hang of it. The flange that swings over from the key works in conjunction with the lever that locks the bag in place.

Once you have mastered this, remove the little screws holding the lock, then put on a tiny dab of Loctite on the tip and re-install the screws. Emphasis on tiny dab--you really don't want this stuff getting on plastic or other places, just a bit on the threads of the little screws.

How important is the Loctite? We should start a poll of when the first '06 will be to lose a lock and the bag due to lack of it... :bigeyes: Once the bags actually arrive, that is...