I need/want a new windshield?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2006FJR

Administrator of Transportation
Reaction score
Well I bought the Cal Sci +5.5 and to be honest I have never been totally happy. It feels a bit flimsy and especially after seeing the one that comes on the newer FJRs. They are much more solid and you could look through them if you wanted without too many optical issues. If you could have any windshield you wanted, which one would you buy? I am 6'5 and about 300 pounds. I have the seat raised and the pegs lowered so I am pocking up pretty high and I would love to have a windshield like the one on the BMW RT. That was one of the most impressive windshields I have ever been behind. I was even thinking, maybe I could take one off of a RT and find a way to get it to fit on the FJR.

So which windshield is the best based on my needs?

I have three shields but for me the stock 03 with a laminar lip is the best all around. IMHO

The Cee Baileys windshields are of better quality and fit than most.

Your tall, so I'd guess you need to be in the +4 wide and +4 or +6 tall area with a flip.

1st: There is NO windshield nirvana on the FJR.

2nd: I have a CalSci that I loved in the Winter. It worked for me but I'm only 6'2" riding a Russell (raised) saddle. It was so quiet I can ride without earplugs but it blocks wind so effectively that I can't use it in any temps over 75 degrees (on my Gen I). It could be that your height is part of your problem.

3rd: I've since changed back to a CeeBailey (+4 tall x +2 wide) and added a Vario extension spoiler and it is working for me.

This thread has some pictures.

Good luck finding the solution for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your tall, so I'd guess you need to be in the +4 wide and +4 or +6 tall area with a flip.

+1

I'm 6'1" and I run the Cee Baily +4 wide and +2 tall with the flip. Works great for me plus it looks right on the bike. Very clean lines.

I had a Cee Baily on my 04 and now have one on my 08. Nothing flimsey about the CB to me. Well made. Remember these guys make aircraft windshields and windows too. My last one, they even custom made for me. I wanted a measurement between what their standard was and they did it no problem.

GP

It’s a case by case issue for sure. 5’9’” and installed the Med. Cal Sci (2K miles ago) and rarely lower the face shield all the way any longer. It's working great, even in the rain.

Keep Going!

Last edited by a moderator:
FOR ME ITS BEEN THE CE BAILY FLIP, GREAT WIND PROTECTION AND NOISE REDUCTION AT THE HIGHEST WINDSHIELD SETTING IS GOOD.

I'm tall and have a Russell seat that raises me another 1.5 inches. I have the Cee Baileys +4 +4 and it is perfect. Without the seat, I might have preferred the +2 tall.

Mike

Well I bought the Cal Sci +5.5 and to be honest I have never been totally happy. It feels a bit flimsy and especially after seeing the one that comes on the newer FJRs. They are much more solid and you could look through them if you wanted without too many optical issues. If you could have any windshield you wanted, which one would you buy? I am 6'5 and about 300 pounds. I have the seat raised and the pegs lowered so I am pocking up pretty high and I would love to have a windshield like the one on the BMW RT. That was one of the most impressive windshields I have ever been behind. I was even thinking, maybe I could take one off of a RT and find a way to get it to fit on the FJR.
So which windshield is the best based on my needs?
Trent,

Rifle and Calsci will both let you try out their shields but you have to pay shipping. Call them and talk with them both.

I like my v-stream so far. I don't ride two up though.

Good Luck

I have a CalSci "Love it"

If I bought a Cee Bailey, Rifle, Give, and it worked. My guess is I would love it too.

Then again... Coming from the VStrom, I loved the stock FJR screen ; )

Bought the big screen for winter. I think the stock will go back on when it gets warm.

Latest posts