I wonder if he will take my advice....

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hell, I thought it was good advice. If it's a young kid I doubt he'll listen.

Personally, I wouldn't push the ratty lookin' POS to the curb for fear it would fall apart

Last edited by a moderator:
This is one of the best lines I have ever read in a motorcycle forum!!

"You can't even think about reading the road way ahead of you. You are still enamoured in the idea of being a biker and hoping that cute chic with the perky boobies will notice how cool you are." hppants

i thought that it was honest advice that was spot on. Ya it was a little " you'll shoot you eye out" but so what. Some times the truth is what it is. For his sake I hope he listens.

He won't listen. Your just an old man blabbing on about old man concerns. Here's what he'll read...

"Blah blah blah blah, BLAH blah Blah...."

I will give you it IS good advice - once had a hard tailed Triumph T120 and boy, that thing was a handful...

Fortunately it broke more than ran, so I ended up surviving the ownership.

Outstanding post Pants! He won't listen to any of it but, at least he read it. It'll all be in the back of his mind nagging at him. It's all you can do. I would've said the same thing.

I am sorry but I lost focus after the part about the cute girl with the perky boobies.
dribble.gif
Do motorcycles really help you get one of those?

Actually, I thought it was excellent advice but I doubt he will take it. If he already spent his money on the bike, he's too far in. It is also easier to follow smart advice once you are old and wise enough to be able to dispense it on your own. Nice try though.

Do keep in mind though that there was a time when motorcycles came from the factory with hardtail frames, useless brakes and primitive electrical systems. You either rode them that way or you didn't ride.

Do keep in mind though that there was a time when motorcycles came from the factory with hardtail frames, useless brakes and primitive electrical systems. You either rode them that way or you didn't ride.
Dude.... You are going to screw this whole thing up tossing in facts and common sense. Stop That!

That bike is a wreck. Good advice. I want to follow this to see his response. Pants you ought to put this post on the Honda Hawk forum.

I am sorry but I lost focus after the part about the cute girl with the perky boobies.
dribble.gif
Do motorcycles really help you get one of those?
Why Yes!! Redfish.......... Yes They Do!Insert "Shwing" Smiley (Here). :))
Dammit! I did something terribly wrong then because that is NOT what lives in the house I pay for. The thing that lives here can barely fit in the back of a truck, much less on the back of a motorcycle.
upset.gif

I guess I am going to Hell for the lies I tell about that poor woman. Yes, it has always been my experience that the ladies like the motorcycle. Even if they don't want to ride it, they like the edginess of the thing.

Actually, the first time the radius of the turn changes, he'll panic like all inexperienced and under trained riders do and brake hard, which straitens the bike up, if it stays on its wheels at all, making him run right off the outside of the turn.

Everything else I agree with.

Philjet - I think you make a good point, expounding that he will likely grab a foot full of rear brake, which could force a lower speed low side, perhaps the less of 2 evils. Guess we'll find out soon enough.

The Nighthawkers get torqued about that kind of thread because they know that bike's days are numbered. It will be tossed in the trash very soon cause you can't ride it. And then there will be one less nighthawk available for the world to enjoy (with 999,999 left, how will they cope?). I get that - it's a great bike if left mostly in stock form. I put 25,000 miles on a couple of them and really wish I had another 700s. Then there's the other side that says "it's his bike - let him do what he wants!!". I get that too.

For me, I want the guy to become a biker. A real biker. I want him to learn how to ride the right way, and then find his place in motorcycling and enjoy it. If that place is with the cruiser crowd - great. But do it the right way.

I guess I'm more of a practical pragmatic, which is a nice way of saying that, whether I like it or not, I'm quickly migrating to the ranks of the "OLD FARTS". At this particular juncture in my life, I call it like I see it. Somehow - I feel a need to share my experience. And even though I know many people don't give 2 squirts about my advice, I'm still gonna give it. A wise man (long dead) once told me "Son, never pass up a perfectly good opportunity to shut your pie hole!" I should consider that more.

Which brings me to my soapbox yesterday (and now today). I've ridden with every kind of rider there is. You name the bike - I've probably ridden with them. Riding with a new friend for the first time makes me cautious, but if they are experienced, then I'm not scared (Edit - except if it's a bunch of squids). But riding with a NEW RIDER scares the crap out of me cause I know that the stuff I posted on the NH forum is gonna happen. And I know first hand that falling hurts - a lot. I really think that everyone should start motorcycling on a well maintained, dinged and scratched, less than 500cc UJM. Just enough power to learn how to ride, form good riding habits, and then learn where you fit in the motorcycling world. Within a year, you can then sell it for $100.00 less than you paid for it, and move on.

Most people take this too personally, though. Shoot, one of my best riding buddies rides a H/D Switchback. Not my cup of tea, but a great m/c in it's own right. And it suits his riding style to a tee. On occasion, when I'm not much into carving, I'll join his group (add 2 H/D Street Glides and a softtail), and the 5 of us will let me lead (fastest bike in the front) and we have a ball riding places and eating things. Of course, we inevitably wind up at the V-2 biker bar, where I'm usually at the tail end of a few well pointed (albeit very ignorant) jokes about the correlation of exhaust sounds and performance, the definition of the term "REAL BIKE", and the like. That's no problem, as seeing the effects of gravity under the underwire, as well as a few stretched and faded tramp stamps reminds me that some decisions are forever.

But In reality, most newbies buy way over their head, and then splatter themselves quickly and if they live to tell about it, quit the hobby all together.

Enough foaming at the keyboard frm Pants....

The better advice, and it has been given on this forum a number of times, would be to sell the NH and buy a cheap little dirt/trail bike. No one, if they can avoid it, should ever start out riding on the street.

Regardless of how many MSF classes you take, you will never gain the handling/reactionary skills that a few hundred/thousand hours in the dirt will teach you.

Just my two cents.

Mark

Good post, but unfortunately all it is going to do is allow you to sleep better at night when the kid parks himself under a buick. Only reason he posted it was to get the "Wow, that's awesome", "cool bike bro", "ooh, jealous", so on and so forth. He should just give that thing to the local HD club and let them burn it at the next HOG stroke fest...

Well, it's good advice, but I would have ignore it when I was that age. He may be fine, or maybe that silly bike will break down a lot and he'll get something more reliable, and safer.

If he does keep it, I doubt he will every get it roadworthy. If he does get it roadworthy, he will have to put a lot of work into it so perhaps he will get to know the bike and learn to respect it for what it is.