Idaho Moto Cop Blitzes Another Biker

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow that was crazy. I know that spot next to Harley dealership. I bought my bike up there in Idaho. I didn't see any Emergency lights on either.

He was MOVING!!!
Nah. It's an optical illusion, relative to our position. Since the cruiser (looks like a Kawasaki) was topped out at about 47 the cop could have been going all of maybe 62 and just looked like was was booking along at a high rate.

Gotta keep things in perspective....

Wide angle of a GoPro type camera exaggerates close-in speed heavily. But still, I'm sure the cop had a very good indication that the cruiser rider had seen him before gassing by.

A few weekends ago I passed a Harley on Centennial Lake Road near Calabogie on my dirt bike. Passing cruisers is not that hard. My dirt bike tops out at about 140 kph (80 mph) so I was not going that quick.

He was MOVING!!!
Nah. It's an optical illusion, relative to our position. Since the cruiser (looks like a Kawasaki) was topped out at about 47 the cop could have been going all of maybe 62 and just looked like was was booking along at a high rate.

Gotta keep things in perspective....
It's no optical illusion, the cop was hauling! Cruiser-dude was doing about 60 when passed by the cop and went up to 65 just after being passed, probably just due to cop's wake! I'm guessing cop was doing at least 80mph.

Here's better shot of cruiser's speedo....

10479886_515051241956916_2487907107966338014_o.jpg

Looking at it again, I didn't notice the cop sitting under the overpass at the beginning! It was only nine seconds later that he went by.

So nine seconds from standing to passing a 55-60 mph vehicle that went by you just as you moved out..... I wonder if he wheelied!

Sh*t, I must be be getting old or something. An amusing video, but why's everyone getting so excited?

- The police rider wasn't that close to the camera bike, it looked like about two or three bike widths between, and he must have seen that the rider had noticed him;

- At the time of passing, the camera bike was doing abut 57 (check the needle position in the video's presentation screen agains the hi-def image linked from Denver_FJR's image (cropped bit below);

0_CruiserSpeedo_crcr.jpg

- If he was doing 80 at the time of passing, the differential is 25-ish, no big deal (maybe a frame-by-frame analysis might give a better idea of his speed);

0-80 in 9 seconds sounds reasonable for a well-ridden ST1300 (or FJR1300 for that matter) without any undue drama;

The only real points of issue that I can see are the amount of protective clothing the police rider was wearing, and the dreaded weave he might get if he went up to 130 or so (in the UK this has killed at least one policeman on an ST1300 and one test rider investigating the phenomenon).

Last edited by a moderator:
I do have a problem with it. First, you pass a moto cop, look in your review and see him coming. The rider could have easily thought he was the target and veered to the right to pull over. Second, he creates a risky situation to do what---pull over some car that was probably 10 mph over the limit. Apparently his department isn't too happy about it either.

https://www.idahostatesman.com/2014/09/04/3357744/meridian-motorcycle-officer-under.html

I do have a problem with it. First, you pass a moto cop, look in your review and see him coming. The rider could have easily thought he was the target and veered to the right to pull over. Second, he creates a risky situation to do what---pull over some car that was probably 10 mph over the limit. Apparently his department isn't too happy about it either.
https://www.idahostatesman.com/2014/09/04/3357744/meridian-motorcycle-officer-under.html
If the rider saw the policeman coming after him, he'd be keeping a lot of his attention on the police rider, he would quickly realise the policeman was keeping to the right. As for "probably 10 over", I couldn't see why the car was pulled over. Could have been a marked (wanted) vehicle? If so, the policeman would want to do the stop before the turn-off to reduce the risk of losing him.
Was the policeman doing something wrong? I confess to being a little puzzled. Surely if the policeman is allowed to exceed the speed limit in the course of pursuing an offender, he is allowed to ignore other laws? Here in the UK, so long as the driver is suitably trained, and the vehicle he/she is driving (whether police, ambulance, fire appliance) is displaying its emergency flashing lights (and possibly an audible warning, the combination known colloquially as "blues and twos"), he can speed, undertake, run red lights, cross double lines etc (lane sharing isn't illegal), so long as it is safe for him to do so. Surely that's the case in the USA?

Whether it was safe or not is a matter of opinion, it didn't look particularly dangerous to me, but very difficult to judge from the video. Wide-angle lenses do distort perception considerably.

As for the quotes in the report, I would never assume newspaper quotes were accurate. Even if they were, had the rider been approached by lawyers offering to get compensation?

"I was pretty rattled by the whole situation," Milenoff said Thursday afternoon. "I've never seen someone handle a motorcycle that way."
Hmm. His odometer shows 39000 miles on the bike. If they were his miles, that would really surprise me. Tongue in cheek, if his bike is a cruiser, what he means is "My bike won't do that".
Or, maybe I'm totally out of order, just being awkward ;) .

RT, I think.
With the Honda wing logo on the tank? It's an ST1300.
Most definitely an ST1300. While it is ugly, it is not BMW ugly.

Wow that was crazy. I didn't see any Emergency lights on either.
I don't see how it was so crazy. The police motor officers I have watched can usually ride really well. As far as the emergency lights he obviously had something going because it was just a few seconds later he had that car pulled over.

Honda STT1300 police bike? I can take him.
Yes, the FJR will outrun it but there are not many cars and no Harleys that will outrun it. Not often we hear about an FJR pilot "fleeing to elude".

Looking at it again, I didn't notice the cop sitting under the overpass at the beginning! It was only nine seconds later that he went by.
So nine seconds from standing to passing a 55-60 mph vehicle that went by you just as you moved out..... I wonder if he wheelied!
Mine will. My ST is actually easier to wheelie than Dad's '07 FJR. Of course the FJR is steadily walking away from me while my front wheel is in the air...

Magna-boy is upset about the way the cop rode by him? I'd be a little rattled if a moto cop did that to me, but not to the point of trying to smack him with disciplinary action.

(1) Moto cops know how to handle their bikes.

(2) The cop had his lights working -- "I thought I was being pulled over."

(3) Looks to me like the moto officer could have been doing most of the 'passing' while in the emergency lane.

(4) The cop blew by him quickly, so as to minimize the time that Magna-boy could have fouled up the passing maneuver.

(5) No harm, so where's the foul?

I vote to leave the cop alone. As for ticketing a cager who's driving ten miles over ... well, he's driving ten miles over, that's a violation, and a ticket is warranted.

I also vote that Magna-boy re-assess the risks he takes when riding -- especially those presented by other vehicles on the freeway. (And I'm really curious to know if he rides in Sons of Anarchy gear.)

What annoys me most about this entire event is those zip-ties on those handlebars. I mean, they're not even black!

zip-ties.jpg

Plus, they aren't symmetrically placed on the bars. Gahhh!

sick.gif