Ignition fix

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm in the process of removing my ignition switch as I seem to have a "dirty one". I'm at the point of unpluging the large white connector to the wiring harness under the tank but it seems tight. Are there tabs that need to be compressed or do you just pull it apart. Not much room in there and I can only get one hand in. Don't want to damge the harness.

Thanks

Got mine today. Brodie, you are a master. Very fine, quality looking job. You know your stuff.

No riding here until at least March? or later, so I should have lots of time to put it in just right. Hopefully I have enough life left in the switch that was replaced mid summer. no doubt that your relay harness will allow that to happen.

And yes, you are doing Yamaha's work for them. However, yours looks nicer!

paul from Minnesota

I'm a new FJR owner ('08) and would like to know if the collective thinks this is a wise investment for the '08. Silly Rabbit...

Last edited by a moderator:
I installed my Brodie cable assembly last Sunday. Have done about 300 miles on it since installation and I can tell you that all is A OK. The delivery of the product was rapid and when I open it I saw the same premium quality that I would have received from the OEM. Really first class job of engineering and production.

The installation went fairly smoothly for me although I am very much lost when it comes to electrical anythings; therefore, it took me several minutes to figure out the proper hook ups for the connectors. When you look at the two white keyed connectors you will notice that there is a male and a female connector or the same shape and color. Disconnect the original white connector(right adjacent to the red connector which is not disturbed)and plug in the 6"wire with white connector. Then take the 12" wire with white connector and plug in to the white connector on the OEM ignition switch harness that was just disconnected. Then ground the black wire to the right side of the steering head button fastener. Then you are done.

I realize this explanation above is not probably necessary for most folks but being a VINTAGE Rider, I offer it as possible installation assistance. Thanks Brodie for a great product. I consider it a wise investment as I have had two each ignition switch failures on my 06AE in the 45k miles I have put on it. Hope this never is a problem again.

I'm a new FJR owner ('08) and would like to know if the collective thinks this is a wise investment for the '08. Silly Rabbit...
=====

Mine is an 08......... worked for me... no worries now

B........... ;)

Please add me to your list for this or the next run. I have an 03 and just saw the thread. Interesting how the "show new" works only partially.

Got mine today. Brodie, you are a master. Very fine, quality looking job. You know your stuff.
No riding here until at least March? or later, so I should have lots of time to put it in just right. Hopefully I have enough life left in the switch that was replaced mid summer. no doubt that your relay harness will allow that to happen.

And yes, you are doing Yamaha's work for them. However, yours looks nicer!

paul from Minnesota

I also received mine. And I'll second the statement that it is definitely a quality product. Very professional.

Thanks again.

Mine arrived yesterday and will be installed this weekend. Great kit Brodie and the Tootsie Rolls were a nice added touch for a chocolate fiend like myself. Thanks again.

Brodie, please put me on the list for a harness that will go on my '08A. :clapping:

Got mine today. It is a very nice piece of work! Excellent quick shipping. One question--Will the heat under the tank affect the rely?

Thank you all for the complements, it kinda makes it worth while :)

The question was asked about the heat in the engine bay having an effect on the relay. I chose an automotive relay design, I haven't looked up the specifications for it but I believe it to be a very robust item. I might add that it installs right behind the tunnel in the frame, somewhat in the fresh air stream. My bike has had it there since late may, approximately 18k miles ago without a lick of trouble.

Hope it helps.

Brodie

Received mine the other day. I agree with the other posts; nice quality piece. Brodie let me know when you want me to send payment for the second one for my friend's FJR. Thanks again for doing this for all of us on the forum. Chris

Hi Brodie!

Please count me in for the next build & advise ordering instructions when you are ready. Apologies for the PM - sent before I saw note about your overloaded mailbox.

Thanks for doing this! Luis

That settles it, I am slow. :blink: The light just now turned on in my head. I get it now.

New FJR owner on a Farkle High ready to buy anything even remotly associated with the bike.
:hyper:
Now Brian's response makes sense.

Mine is an 08......... worked for me... no worries now
Heres my thoughts concerning the lack of 2008 models reported on the forum...

The 2008 bikes may be too young to have the switches failing, It may be dirty contacts that start the thermal runaway (resistance = heat), but the switches have yet to see inclement weather. If thats the case then now is the time to get the relay before the marginal switch goes south.

Shifter, if you want me to build you one, make the request on this thread. I'll be happy to build it.

Brodie

Every 3 to 6 months, I shoot a spritz of silicone lube into all the locks & latches. On the Wing, I'd spritz a bit on the rubber grommets that held the body panels in place each time I'd remove them. Never have had a problem with them on this or the past 2 bikes I've owned. The carrier and residues are less of an issue than WD40.

1000032405_051508_sch.jpg