Ignition fix

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good morning people, The second group of 50 units are ready to ship, sorry for the delay.
I did make it before the end of the year.
:rolleyes:
According to the list there are a few units still available. Da List

I plan to make a third run early in the year. This third run I plan to sell on eBay with a substantially higher buy it now price, however, FJRForum members will still enjoy the same price - $50 plus shipping.

And now some housekeeping...

Niehart, make some room in your mailbox, it's full.

Everybody, please make sure you add your FJRForum member name to the comment section when going through PayPal, it makes it easier to keep da list up to date.

Thanks

[SIZE=12pt]Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good ride! :bike: [/SIZE]

Brodie

I paid via paypal, but I never saw a comment box, so I didn't include my forum name. The payment from Gary Karasik is for palerider.

Have a great holiday.

Payment sent via Paypal.

Obviously you're an engineer ... if not you could've been
thumbup.gif

[SIZE=24pt]Merry Christmas!!![/SIZE]

Brodie,

Please add me to your list - I'll definately take one.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

joeR6

Not sure I agree with that yet, although we still don't have any definate answers on the cause(s) of this yet.
Some of the failures appear to be due to dirty switch contacts (especially with the older, more weathered 1st gens) and some are due to wires that physically broke off outside of the ignition switch.

Maybe I'm wrong and the overheating is the only problem. That would be very nice if that were true, in which case the emergency jumper would be un-necessary.
I got ta '04 Gen I with 78k miles

Is there an easy way to clean the ignition switch contacts - radio shack contact cleaner, WD40, etc. with some kind of access point to insert red straw

also for me, have others with '04 had failures that the new harness would fix; I saw at least one '03 owner purchase the harness

I'm willing to get one if it would really be worthwhile to do so; I ride far from home and don't want to be stranded or hassled

Mike in Nawlins'

EDIT: Went through all the threads on this issue and am satisfied all my questions are answered

Last edited by a moderator:
Every 3 to 6 months, I shoot a spritz of silicone lube into all the locks & latches. On the Wing, I'd spritz a bit on the rubber grommets that held the body panels in place each time I'd remove them. Never have had a problem with them on this or the past 2 bikes I've owned. The carrier and residues are less of an issue than WD40.
1000032405_051508_sch.jpg
I also shoot some where the fork sliders go into the bottom receivers hoping to lube up the tubes for fork seal longevity

...also for me, have others with '04 had failures that the new harness would fix...

Mike

If the switch is showing any sign of failure, my relay harness will not fix it. All it will do is keep the high amperage load out of the switch and keep it from overheating due to high resistance at the contacts. If the damage is already done, your best bet is to get the switch fixed first - then a relay will keep it from having a heat related failure.

I don't know, off the top of my head, if the forum has any confirmed first generation (2003 - 2005) ignition switch failures directly caused by high resistance within the switch, doing damage such as what happened to my unit. It would be an interesting study.

Brodie

Last edited by a moderator:
Brodie

Please add me to the list for the next set of jumpers. I 'll send a patpal as soon as I can figure that out. Wife's account and all. Thanks again