I'm moving to California and I need help...(w/parking)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
(in best Robert Stack impersonation) Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop taking amphetamines!

I did the SoCal to Seattle drive only once straight through...22 hours driving a jeep wrangler. I was still reasonably young and Red Bull had just hit the market. My guts were toast when I rolled in. You'll be much slower towing, and you'll have to watch speed limits on I5 with a trailer.

I'd vote that you locate a campground with a proper shower and proper sleep, either tent it or sleep on the truck or trailer, bringing that nice exped camp mattress you and I each bought and have not used. I'd be worried the trailer would go missing if you nabbed a hotel. Or drop the KTM at Dons and bed down at the Hondarosa.

Last edited by a moderator:
(in best Robert Stack impersonation) Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop taking amphetamines!
I did the SoCal to Seattle drive only once straight through...22 hours driving a jeep wrangler. I was still reasonably young and Red Bull had just hit the market. My guts were toast when I rolled in. You'll be much slower towing, and you'll have to watch speed limits on I5 with a trailer.

I'd vote that you locate a campground with a proper shower and proper sleep, either tent it or sleep on the truck or trailer, bringing that nice exped camp mattress you and I each bought and have not used. I'd be worried the trailer would go missing if you nabbed a hotel. Or drop the KTM at Dons and bed down at the Hondarosa.
Alas, I shall have dogs with me, so that makes it slightly more of a PITA - finding a hotel, etc. Plus I'm leery of leaving the rig unattended, so the plan is to just lay my seat flat and grab a few hours rest at a rest stop. I can back the trailer into a spot (depending on the site layout), crash for a bit, wake, stretch, scratch and push on. i expect this to be a full two days of driving. Might see if one of the mutts can drive while I rest...hmmm...

Camping gear will already be down at the house as I'm going to need it for the week I'm there when i drop off the BMW. May or may not be able to get a new bedroom set in during the week, so we'll see if its a short or long adventure. ;)

Ideally, I'd have an advance crew to set up somewhere to rest ahead of me. Kind of like the Baja 1000...but this would be the BWAHA 1000. Drive in a posh truck for 12 hours, crash in an RV, drive some more - meals waiting along the route. Like an Armchair Cannonball Run, if you will... :)

Bah! If you are going to do all of that....just hire movers.
biggrin.png

That way you can get out of the driving the truck part too.

biggrin.png

I do have movers...and they are eating up ten grand for the rest of the move. ;) Besides, my bikes and my guns? Yeah, I feel better moving those myself if I'm honest.

Alas, I shall have dogs with me, so that makes it slightly more of a PITA - finding a hotel, etc. Plus I'm leery of leaving the rig unattended, so the plan is to just lay my seat flat and grab a few hours rest at a rest stop. I can back the trailer into a spot (depending on the site layout), crash for a bit, wake, stretch, scratch and push on. i expect this to be a full two days of driving. Might see if one of the mutts can drive while I rest...hmmm...
Sportsguy, have you resolved this yet? I'm in Loomis, about 1/2 hour off I5 - as long as you miss rush hours - and almost exactly 12 hours from Redmond. Plenty of room to park a trailer out of sight and I also have dogs, so no issue there...Welcome to use as a rest stop or an overnight stay.

biggrin.png

I do have movers...and they are eating up ten grand for the rest of the move.
wink.png
Besides, my bikes and my guns? Yeah, I feel better moving those myself if I'm honest.
They don't want no stinking guns in Cali so you can leave them with me for safe keeping and exercise.
rolleyes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
biggrin.png

I do have movers...and they are eating up ten grand for the rest of the move.
wink.png
Besides, my bikes and my guns? Yeah, I feel better moving those myself if I'm honest.
They don't want no stinking guns in Cali so you can leave them with me for safe keeping and exercise.
rolleyes.gif
BAH! Lame attempt Ray! I'll be taking all 12 with me! Just separated my 10 round mags from everything else and about to send my 15 extended capacity mags for my HK VP9, FN9c, CZ-75 D PCR and Walther PPQ M2 to a friend. Shame to part with, what, roughly $400 in magazines, but...Cali don't like 'em, they don't qualify to come in as "parts" and in all honestly can't be bothered modifying them when 10 rounders are easily purchased.

Next up, gotta swap out my Bersa Thunder 380 for the new Sig sauer P225 A1, then get all the pistolas nestled into their original boxes, locked them in travel boxes and ready them for the journey south. :) Ironically, even with all this firepower for my drive south with my dogs, motorcycles, the new trailer and sundry bits of life, I won't be able to sue a single one of them if needed once I cross into Oregon. Sigh.

So be it - I'm committed to legal, responsible ownership, which is why I cannot honor your request.

See, I know you. ...and thus I know better! :D