I'm new here and have a couple of questions on my '13 FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have trouble fitting my wife in the tiny FJR saddlebags so I let her sit up high on the seat. Other than that I try to follow the weight distribution rule of thumb as laid out by Bounce. ;)

As for the glove box, my gloves wouldnt fit in there. So I mounted the PWM controller for my LED aux lights in there, keeping the dash less cluttered and providing an extra level of weatherproofing to the controller. I keep the registration (which I have unfortunately needed roadside access to) a flashlight and a few fuses (which Ive never needed roadside access to)

I use a battery tender cable to power my tank bag, so that ends up being a more convenient place to power and charge things anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
I will add that some riders have reported some odd buffeting when riding without a passenger with the tail case. The issue seems to be the void between the riders back and the case can create a strange turbulence that can feel like you're being pushed forward....to a "wiggle" in the rear end.

This seems to vary depending on the riders...um, width, what windscreen they use, and or its position. I only noticed the back of my jacket being pulled up at speed.

If you experience this, switching to a wider windscreen can help, or when traveling, strapping a bag behind you. Doesn't occur if you have a passenger....

I've ridden with M&Ms in my glove box and they were fine. Back in the day, I used to keep my camera there and the lid open when I went on rides that were picture worthy. Currently, there is registration, Insurance, a charger for my phone, an air gauge, and a kickstand pad.

Worry about the glove box the least. You're gonna have a blast.

The "glove box" isn't particularly useful for gloves - way too small. And it's not intended for that purpose. I have a few small items in there but it includes an iPod used as a music repository for my Zumo.

Riding w/o a passenger and the top box does create some drag and a little weirdness, but you have to be going pretty fast to notice (I'd say at least 80, be it 80 on a calm day, or 100 with a 20mph tailwind lol...) To me the biggest drag about the drag is you can dramatically lose mpg. I hit reserve at 150 miles once on a fully topped off tank running into a headwind with the tailbox on going south on I-15, which is 80mph limit...

I was finally able to take a ride with my wife for about 3 hours yesterday, some of this riding was on a major highway and some back roads. I don't have a top box yet, just a back rest for my wife. Thus far I find the FJR to be very stable with a passenger even at slow (parking lot) speeds, and once on the highway there are no issues with stability. . However my wife did comment that the windshield (stock) didn't provide her any protection from wind buffeting. Will have to find the Yammi touring screen (hopefully used), as locally new they are $240 plus tax.

Also, the speedometer is out by about 8 km/h, will need to address this as well.

The small optimistic error can be eliminated by fitting the rear with a slightly larger tire. Instead of the stock 180/55 17 you can go with a 190/55 17, which will have a slightly larger diameter and circumference and allow the speedo to display very close to actual speed. But those larger tires will command a higher price every time you buy one.

Another option is to buy a speed correction device like a Speedo healer. At least they only nick you for $100 once and you can program the amount of correction you want.

Myself, I just ignore the small error and look at the speed display on my GPS to see what the actual speed is.

Also, the speedometer is out by about 8 km/h, will need to address this as well.

Hmm, thats a bit larger error than I see on my 14. My speedo error is about 2 mph faster than GPS-indicated, versus the 5 mph error you observed. I run stock tire sizes.

The speedo error is most pronounced on the bikes being supplied to countries that use the Metric system instead of Imperial. I have just researched a bit the speedo-healer product, but unfortunately it may affect the cruise control function (making it intermittent). Oh well.

Welcome to the forum and FJR ownership.

I don't usually run with a stock Yamaha trunk, unless I'm touring or need extra storage while running around town. I have noticed a very slight wiggle at highway speeds when riding with trunk, sidecases and no passenger. It's not something that's concerned me because it's never been anywhere close enough to me getting worried about a tank slapper shake. I've even gone up to about 145mph with no issues. And in my 11 years on this forum, I've never heard anybody have a problem. As we often say here, "Ride more and stress less." :)

The speedo error is most pronounced on the bikes being supplied to countries that use the Metric system instead of Imperial. I have just researched a bit the speedo-healer product, but unfortunately it may affect the cruise control function (making it intermittent). Oh well.
Go to a 190/55/17 rear tire. Speedo problem solved. Mine is within about a half MPH to 1 MPH. That's way easier to live with than the the way it was at a "few MPH."

"Will have to find the Yammi touring screen (hopefully used), as locally new they are $240 plus tax."

If you can find a used Cee Bailey windscreen, I highly recommend them. Unfortunately they no longer make motorcycle screens.

Haven't stayed current on aftermarket parts, but would guess you can find a taller screen other than the Yamaha one for less money?

Latest posts