Improved Handling?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TerryG

Reaction score
I have 2006 FJR, I love the bike in many ways but I have never felt totally comfortable in tight and/or slow speed turns. The bike has allways seemed very top heavy. I did find some improvement when I switched to a Corbin seat, that lowered my position about 1". I think if I was able to lower the bike about another inch or so it might make a big difference.

Has anyone here done much to improve thier handling? If so would like to know what, and the results. I found the Kouba Links but that only addresses the rear, so what about the front? I also found TRAXXION DYNAMICS in GA they seem to specialize in Goldwings but they offer a package for the FJR for $1150 installed. Has anyone here used thier products? Would love some first hand info.

Thanks for the feedback!

Terry, Nashville TN

I am assuming that you didn't look for any of this information since all questions that you asked have been discussed several times. Then you'd know that lowering your bike w/ Kouba Links may very well change the handling... as in it'll have less lean angle... forget about the folks who have lowered their bike with these & dented their headers while riding over a speed bump.

If you do install the links, you can slide the forks down the triple tree to compensate for lowering the rear.

It might be in your best interest to buy taller boots.

I can relate about the height, some. I have a limited amount of foot on the ground, myself.

Search "Traxxion Dynamics" for more info on them. There are serveral here that have taken advantage of their services.

I am fairly confident in saying that the handling can be improved by: tires, suspension adjustment or replacing the suspension altogether.

The bike is heavy. It's the nature of the beast. I'm pretty sure that all of the suspension upgrades in the world wouldn't make the bike feel lighter in slow maneuvers.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll bite. Add 2 psi to the front tire and see what that does. And then experiment. Hey, air is free......so far.

However, I'm sure somebody not sick of answering the same question YET AGAIN....will be along anytime now.
Different answer- To really improve slow speed handling, trade it in on a cruiser bike.

Same answer- Yes, suspension mods will help. Ask Silver Penguin.

I have 2006 FJR, I love the bike in many ways but I have never felt totally comfortable in tight and/or slow speed turns. The bike has allways seemed very top heavy.

Terry,

1. Learn to use search function.

2. Clicky Buy vid, go to parking lot (when empty) and practice. This shit works if you practice!

You will need to overcome the fear of dropping your bike and these exercises will help. Just remember, we got peeps dumping their rides while filling up. Too bad they don't plant trees next to the pumps. :unsure:

I really surprised at some of these responses, I guess some of you are more interested in being wise guys then sharing good information. By the way the Kouba links are only good for shorter people so they can have better footing, they have no impact on handling! Also lowering the bike has no value to improved handling.

I'm glad I found an expert suspension builder the info I got here was for the most part was really bad! I guess this is a better place for opions then valid techincal information. Too bad! Thanks to those who made a real effort.

...I guess this is a better place for opions then valid techincal information...
I'm new here, too, but I lurked and searched for a couple of weeks before I made my first post. Unfortunately these guys are right: The same questions come up over and over. I'm glad, though, because I can search through many many replies to get a good feel on how to set everything up on the bike.

Using the advice I picked up from existing posts I was able to adjust all five sets of suspension settings (7 points in all, for the smarties) to dial in a fantastic ride that feels like how I expected the bike to feel. I also was able to tackle adjusting the handlebars back one position and adjust the free play in the throttle.

Like the smarties said, go through the newbie posts and you'll find a lot of information to get you started.

Regarding low-speed maneuvering, I have found this bike to be easier than the other bikes I've owned. I'm talking about moving into parking spaces, turning right from a 4-way stop, u-turn on a subdivision street, etc.. There are techniques mentioned in a few posts here about revving up and using the rear brake (tail braking) to control the AE model at low speeds since there is no clutch. You should also lean the bike while keeping yourself upright and put your weight on the pegs, not the seat (stand up a bit).

These forums really are a good place to learn about your bike--actually, the only place to learn about your bike--so just consider what they did good natured ribbing.

Terry,

you have been a member for well over a year.

i am sure you read this forum on occasion.

that being said, you should know how helpful the members who posted to your questions are. also you should know how some feel about searching and

trying to find the answer to your questions on your own.

there is a vast amount of information about our machines here.

you really should not be surprised at some of the responses! the responses you rec'd were classic, yours seemed to me a tad whiney.

your guessing at some of the members being interested in being wise guys then sharing good information, is just a way for your to see that these guys are a bit sarcastic sometimes, grow a set, sir!

i too am glad you found an expert suspension builder. the info you got here was for the most part was not really bad, you didn't read what was suggested.

your guessing this is a better place for opions then valid techincal information is wrong, you can get both and lots of 'em.

i hope you find the perfect setup for your FJR and then post up your findings, so that the next fella with the same symptoms you are having can search, find your thread and use the knowledge you shared.

cadman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts