Incriments On The Fjr Temp Gauge

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My '07 will run 4 bars from about 55 degF up to 100+ as long as it's moving, 3 bars on the hwy at 50 and below. I've never seen 2 bars on it while riding.

• Cold: This is the lowest point on the gauge and indicates that the engine is not yet warmed up. The temperature at this point is typically around 40-60 degrees Fahrenheit (4-15 degrees Celsius).
  • Normal: This is the range in which the engine operates under normal driving conditions. The temperature at this point is typically around 195-220 degrees Fahrenheit (90-105 degrees Celsius).
  • Hot: This range indicates that the engine is running hotter than normal and may be overheating. The temperature at this point is typically around 220-260 degrees Fahrenheit (105-125 degrees Celsius).
  • Red zone: This is the highest point on the gauge and indicates that the engine is dangerously overheating. The temperature at this point is typically above 260 degrees Fahrenheit (125 degrees Celsius).

If you're talking about it..

Interesting. My Gen 2 reads 4 bars as a normal operating temp. Goes to 5 on warmer days. Never goes above 6 thanks to the Ivan Flash turning the fans on sooner.
From Ivan's site:

) Cooling Fan comes on at 195 degrees and goes off at 186
Helps keep engine cooler when you are stuck in traffic.

• Normal: This is the range in which the engine operates under normal driving conditions. The temperature at this point is typically around 195-220 degrees Fahrenheit (90-105 degrees Celsius).
Ever watched the coolant temp on a Gen3 when riding down the road at a steady pace? No where near what you are claiming. Mine runs 160 degF without variation.

So you are claiming that on a 90 degree NC summer day your bike runs at 160 fully warmed up?
1. On the interstate or on uninterrupted US highway, at 90 degF ambient I will sometimes see as high as 165 degF but not often. It's a 160 thermostat and it does its job well. About 95-98 degF it'll start to run 165 degF steadily. Above 100 degF I haven't noticed it.

2. Let's be clear about what we're looking at: I'm looking at coolant temperature, nothing else. Are you talking about the same thing?

Yes, I’m referring to coolant temp.
How are you determining that temp reading? Perhaps you have something mounted on your bike besides the factory temp scale.

Mine runs about 170-174 on 100+deg ca central valley days while running down the road. Traffic will cycle the fans.

Yes, I’m referring to coolant temp.
How are you determining that temp reading? Perhaps you have something mounted on your bike besides the factory temp scale.

Gen III+ has a digital readout for temperature...
Yep, Gen3's allow us to see the actual coolant temp so with the same thermostat as the Gen3's wouldn't it be safe to assume that my '07 with its incremental display is running the same comparable temp as my 2013 with its numeric display? IMHO the numbers posted by JessieJim1 above have nothing to do with the real world FJR operating temps and should be deleted.

Well, there you go - I was not aware there was a temp readout on Gen 3+.
Very cool feature…..
Biknflyfisher
Cool feature, annoying application. Unlike most temperature readouts, this one has no buffering. Every spring as newbies buy Gen3 bikes, we see questions about "what's wrong with my bike?", etc. b/c the readout is instantaneous and you can watch it rapidly change temp as conditions change. The general conclusion is to look at it once in a while then switch to something else on the display menu. The menu is customizable to display various things the way you want them.

I like the "real-time" digital temp gauge on my Gen III. It's refreshing that a manufacturer assumes that it's consumers aren't idiots and need to be lied to to feel that everything is OK.

I like having more than an idiot light - that is telling you (too late) that something is seriously amiss. A little warning of gradually increasing coolant temperature helps when it comes to catching decreasing cooling system efficiency as a function of a bad thermostat, coolant loss, water pump issue or dirty radiator. On the other hand, there is no need of knowing that the exact current temperature is 147°F. The reasonably linear segmented bar graph on the Gen II (or even the lower resolution one on the Gen I) is more than sufficient to tell me if things are operating within "normal" healthy ranges. I don't hate the thought of a digital readout but the value displayed should be buffered at a frequency of no more often than a half minute. Digital readout fixes a problem that doesn't exist for day-to-day operation.

Note: An instantaneous readout available in a diagnostic mode could be useful for troubleshooting a thermostat or fan issues. Quick feedback would tell you when the thermostat opens as a function of coolant temperature and when fans turn on or off vs temperature.

Hey, let's revive this old as hell thread for a second time.

I want to know a specific ballpark of what temperature my Gen 2 is running at. I've been riding below 30 the last few days and occasionally the bike does not hold the usual 4 out of 10 bars and sits at three. I've even seen it take quite a while to reach three bars.

Seems petty, but I am running Shell Rotella T6 and occasionally run it hard to pass cars.

Anyways, I dug through this thread and found that really cool link that should show what the temp gauge bars correlate to roughl-...and the link is dead.

Does anyone know now?

Hey, let's revive this old as hell thread for a second time.

I want to know a specific ballpark of what temperature my Gen 2 is running at. I've been riding below 30 the last few days and occasionally the bike does not hold the usual 4 out of 10 bars and sits at three. I've even seen it take quite a while to reach three bars.

Seems petty, but I am running Shell Rotella T6 and occasionally run it hard to pass cars.

Anyways, I dug through this thread and found that really cool link that should show what the temp gauge bars correlate to roughl-...and the link is dead.

Does anyone know now?
Three bars on a Gen 2 at steady speed on a cold day (less than 40F) is normal for my bike too. Coolant temperature would be around 160F, controlled by the thermostat. That’s not from measurement, but from deduction.