Inspect air filter on AE is a pain!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fjrbird

Reaction score
For the fist time after getting my FJR a month ago, I inspected my air filter last weekend. But getting to the filter was a pain in the neck. I had to remove the shift rod (just one end) and the shift actuator. One bolt on the actuator is really stubborn, perhaps over torqued. Initially I thought I can get away with not removing the rod and actuator. I did with removing the filter case and air shround, and able to pull out the filter. But putting it back is impossible with the actuator on the way. Lesson learned. LOL. The next time around should be quicker and more efficient. I figure non-AE version bike should be easy and simple enough since no rod and actuator in front of filter housing.

One note is that one end of the filter is a bit darker with dust but the other end (outward) is clean and still white! So I reverse it and put it back. The manual indicates to use compressed air for cleaning. I wonder if the cleaning it with some detergent should also work. The compressed air of gas station pump is too weak to blow out dust.

THe hardest part for me was moving a large bundle of cables to the side to remove the old and insert the new filter. WHat a PIA.

Latest posts