Installed Canyon Cages

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karnal

Reaction score
Installed the Canyon Cages today on my 2011; nice setup (once I figured out where the damn motor mount bolt was... oh yeah, tucked back THERE.)

My question to all who have this particular setup - and probably only the taller folks out here - do you ever smack your shin off of the left guard in a panic stop? I shifted forward in my seat a little as one tends to do when grabbing a fistful of brake, and dinged my shin. Nothing that hurt, mind you, but made me VERY AWARE of how close this bar is to my shin. I think I can get used to them being on the bike, but still - seems just a little too close depending on my foot location on the peg etc.

Not initially. It's going to take some riding to determine if I can live with their location. If I adjust my foot angle on the left peg, it alleviates the issue but not altogether. Might come up with some padding to put on the bar. I just fear coming into contact with it and it either distracting me from a line or worse - having an accident and busting up my leg...

Never had a problem with the Canyon Cages on my '13, but I'm only 5'9" and short legs. I lowered the bike an inch and still cannot flat foot it.

Installed the Canyon Cages today on my 2011; nice setup (once I figured out where the damn motor mount bolt was... oh yeah, tucked back THERE.)
My question to all who have this particular setup - and probably only the taller folks out here - do you ever smack your shin off of the left guard in a panic stop? I shifted forward in my seat a little as one tends to do when grabbing a fistful of brake, and dinged my shin. Nothing that hurt, mind you, but made me VERY AWARE of how close this bar is to my shin. I think I can get used to them being on the bike, but still - seems just a little too close depending on my foot location on the peg etc.
I am 6ft 6in tall with a 36 inseam and I found the same thing. Sitting in the garage when I installed them I didn't notice it, but on my first ride with them installed the first time I stopped I noticed it. Having said that it only took about an hour or so of riding before I got used to setting my feet down further apart and now I don't really notice it. As far as highway pegs are concerned its on my list of things I'd like to do, but it's not at the top yet.

Agreed on setting the feet down; I can get used to that - but this is when actually foot-up on the bike while riding. I'm a bit over 6'2" and when riding, my shin can touch the bar mounted underneath the FJR plastic. I might just need to modify my riding position, but again - in a panic event I can see smacking my shin up a little. I've sent a note off to MC Enterprises to see if they've had any other issues with this design. As I looked at the Gen2 vs Gen3 design, the Gen3 design seems to place the topmost bar physically lower and further away, which would help in my issue if I could use the Gen3 cages on a Gen2.

Got a good note back from Ryan @ MC. Basically, comes down to riding position - putting the balls of the feet on the pegs while riding gets it away from the shins; however if I do get into my shifting position it's very very close still. Unfortunately since riding season is pretty much over (I have no real winter gear.... YET) I won't have a chance to re-aquaint with the new riding position for a bit.