Installing Audiovox Cruise Control

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man, I haven't even received my '06 yet, but this thread has been riveting. I'm mechanically decent but electrically stunted. Not sure I can bring myself to try it. I'm sure glad it worked, flienlow - now I can have a relaxed weekend.

Don

Man, I haven't even received my '06 yet, but this thread has been riveting. I'm mechanically decent but electrically stunted. Not sure I can bring myself to try it. I'm sure glad it worked, flienlow - now I can have a relaxed weekend.
Don
Don,

While it takes some time, it's really not that bad. The worst part seems to be drilling the hole in the throttle tang.

Jeff

+1. Not a big deal........just don't cut out the NOISE SUPRESSOR and all will be fine. Get a helper to hold the throttle steady while drilling the tang and you're home free. Remember to get a 6mm round head screw to use instead of the one in the kit.

Don
Don,

While it takes some time, it's really not that bad. The worst part seems to be drilling the hole in the throttle tang.

Jeff

One way to approach the drilling of the throttle linkage tang is to add a Vista Cruise before anything. I have both, and still use the Vista for 80% of my cruise needs-only because the thing is so damn handy. Once on, you may discover it satisfies your cruise needs 100%, especially if you ride a lot of level country. The FJR has enough motor that the variations in speed are minute uphill or down on gentle grades-usually so small no further tending is needed. It will also aid in doing a TBS, and-yes-hold the throttle open for you when doing the drilling. Though the 06 air injection control valve is in the way, a big improvement in space is available for the asking on the drilling-remove the fuel rail and injectors. While it may look to be a pain in the ass, it's no where near the pain in the ass that misdrilling the tang will be, or a nicked throttle cable will be. Be sure to put little plugs of paper toweling into each of the open injector holes before beginning drilling-you don't want those filings, or any stray bits getting in there.

Don
This is a fairly straight forward mod. If you can get over tearing into your new bike, you can do this. If you have help, the throttle assembly part is a snap. By using the farkle and this post we had the bike ready to ride in 2 1/2 hours after pulling it into the garage. ( of course it didnt work for a week afterward, but hey I assumed the resistor was still in the cable protector.) If you run all the hot leads back to the Blue wire on the tail section, you have just saved yourself from having to hunt down and find 12v. leads, not to mention further intrusive Bike Mining.

I was going to (with battery off) disconnect the purple wire from the yellow brake wire. Then connect it to the ground that the short black wire from servo harness is on. Turn on key, ride, and test.
[SIZE=14pt]Perfect.[/SIZE] :)
Hey Alan...I'm in Rhode Island and have had the cruise sitting on my shelf trying to get the balls to try to install it. Looking for a project? :( I'd be happy to take a ride up! I'd even pay...name your price! :D

Hey Alan...I'm in Rhode Island and have had the cruise sitting on my shelf trying to get the balls to try to install it. Looking for a project? :( I'd be happy to take a ride up! I'd even pay...name your price! :D
Just go for it! I just got my bike back together. It only took me 2 days! :glare:

Just go for it! I just got my bike back together. It only took me 2 days! :glare:

All your pain saved me some headache.

Thanks